Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

You might consider modifying a S/W TrackForce gauge. I think it looks similar but with a red needle. Maybe North Hollywood Speedometer can do the mods.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
You might consider modifying a S/W TrackForce gauge. I think it looks similar but with a red needle. Maybe North Hollywood Speedometer can do the mods.
All SW makes in 2 5/8" is 15psi. Could North Hollywood recalibrate one to 10psi?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

What color did you decide for paint?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
What color did you decide for paint?
I asked Tony to make me samples of Triumph Signal Red, Ditzler paint code 70966, and AC Cars AC8 Rosso Chiaro, I.C.I. paint code FG39. Both paints are available through PPG's automotive paint division. They are one-stage paints, but can be reformulated to two-stage. I was thinking of going with the one-stage to be more authentic, but Tony didn't sound real enthusiastic: he said one-stage would be less durable, for starters. Any thoughts from the group?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
They are one-stage paints, but can be reformulated to two-stage. I was thinking of going with the one-stage to be more authentic, but Tony didn't sound real enthusiastic...
Have Tony paint a 2'x2' with the reformulated color. Clear coats are more durable, easier to maintain, and are repaired easier... BUT, they might not please your discerning eye. They only way you'll know is to have him paint you a test swatch.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I asked Tony to make me samples of Triumph Signal Red, Ditzler paint code 70966, and AC Cars AC8 Rosso Chiaro, I.C.I. paint code FG39. Both paints are available through PPG's automotive paint division. They are one-stage paints, but can be reformulated to two-stage. I was thinking of going with the one-stage to be more authentic, but Tony didn't sound real enthusiastic: he said one-stage would be less durable, for starters. Any thoughts from the group?
Yeah, I agree that two stage is mo betta but have it painted by someone else.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJohnson69 View Post
Yeah, I agree that two stage is mo betta but have it painted by someone else.
We haven't had a Tony's v. Connecticut Custom in at least a couple of months....
Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

That's OK.... Tony painted mine. I don't know anything about Connecticut Custom.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The tricky thing for Jeffy is that I think he wants the finish to look exactly like it did 45 years ago, not like a 2009 high-end show car paint job. I don't know -- to get that done exactly right might end up costing him more than a modern show-car finish.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

I put Ron Randall through hell going through the same thing with my maroon color. Came out great.
http://www.metal-morphous.com/pages/...izingpaint.php
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The tricky thing for Jeffy is that I think he wants the finish to look exactly like it did 45 years ago, not like a 2009 high-end show car paint job. I don't know -- to get that done exactly right might end up costing him more than a modern show-car finish.
You could very well be right. Nothing is set in stone, yet.

I'm surprised that a two-stage would be easier to repair. Why is that?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
All SW makes in 2 5/8" is 15psi. Could North Hollywood recalibrate one to 10psi?
Ask them.
North Hollywood Speedometer
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm surprised that a two-stage would be easier to repair. Why is that?
If you get a scratch or scrape in your clear coat it is easier to sand out. If the scratch is deep, a two-stage is still easier to repair because you can blend the basecoat over the area to be repaired and then clear coat the whole panel and then finish it. Blending a single stage to match perfectly is more tricky - but pros can still do it. I was thinking more about your particular situation, your car is going to spend 99% of its life inside a nice warm, safe garage. If there is any sort of nick or blemish on it you're going to have a pro with the "artist's touch" fix it. So my observations on "durability and repair" aren't nearly as important as they might be for another car. If I were you, I would base my choice solely on appearance. You might just not like the look of a BC/CC for an early-60's car. And the only way you're going to know for sure is to have the painter paint you a nice big swatch and hand it to you and you look at it and say "Yep, this will do just fine." DO NOT just cross your fingers and give him the greenlight to use something that you haven't seen. You've come too far to stumble now.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
One gauge that is particularly hard to find is this 2 5/8" Stewart Warner fuel pressure gauge; if anyone has one for sale, or knows of a source, I'd be very interested. Thanks!

Just an update: found this gauge and the original SW speedo on eBay, both "new old stock".
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I agree with the assessment on easy off on the red-n-blue fittings, they should be natural finish, and i would use a motorcraft , or WIX filter. --no fram..
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Motor complete!

Attached is a video clip of engine builder Dan Dalena starting up my small block with Webers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhiGSyn5-bw

Absolutely fabulous workmanship by Dan! Now, if Tony could just finish up that paint job...
Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now, if Tony could just finish up that paint job...
I had to laugh when I read this comment; was thinking the very same thing this morning. Tonys supposed to be bringing my car back to Peter this week. When is your car due to be finished?

-Ray
Old 06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
I had to laugh when I read this comment; was thinking the very same thing this morning. Tonys supposed to be bringing my car back to Peter this week. When is your car due to be finished?

-Ray
I'm next after you.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm next after you.
Spoke to Tony yesterday, and now its next week back to Peter.

-Ray
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

I'm scheduled to go up to Hartford mid-July and plan to stop at ERA while I'm there. If your cars are still there I get some pictures.