Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     
Default Any ERA Dealers in SoCal?

I'm in Ventura but am also frequently in San Diego. I'm looking at getting either an ERA, SPF or Backdraft, and would like to see them in person & also get a feel for the support network for each.
Thanks
-Mark

Last edited by LudicrousSpeed; 11-26-2008 at 12:53 AM..
Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Sorry, but all official support comes directly from the factory. Lots of unofficial local help though.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Check out the Tri-Counties Cobra Club there. They usually meet somewhere in the Camarillo area the first Saturday of every other month. I think December is their next meeting. There are several SPF's and a couple of ERA's that show up on a regular basis. I believe there are a couple of Backdraft owners that regularly meet there also.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Mark,

I had an ERA FIA car (#2047). While ERA may not have dealers they are a first class outfit and their customer support is excellent. The attention to detail on their cars and fit and finish are first rate. Do as others have suggested and find some ERA cars near by. Once you see them I'm sure you will be pleased with the final product.

FIA Mike
Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

If you have some frequent flyer miles accumulated - I recommend visiting ERA in New Britain, Ct. For a new car, turnkey - it will most likely be a 9 month + wait (you need to get a confirmation from Peter). There are ocassionally some real nice used ones available and since many people drive these cars very sparingly that would be a very good avenue to investigate. I love my ERA. Rick
Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys!
I'm also concerned about maintianing the car after purchase. Looking for references for good mechanics/ Engine guys in the area as well.
-Mark
Old 11-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

That is the beauty of these cars. The motor is a basic carburated Ford, and there are good Ford mechanics in every community. Outside of that, basic maintenance on a Tremec transmission, and brakes, etc.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default Tri-Counties in December

Ludicrous,

I am about 10 miles south of LAX on the coast...I have a FIA 289 car...helped my friend in Burbank build up his ERA 427...my friend in Ventura sold his FIA 289 about 2 years back, but there is at least one 427 car still there, and I am sure a few in LA and SD...I just don't know the guys.

It would not be a big deal to get my friends together so you can see the cars...I think there will be a Tri-Counties "Sandwich-Meet" about the first weekend in December...usually just off Telegraph road at the shopping center...I can't remember the name of the restaraunt!!!...arrrhgg.

It sounds like you are not really into/confident on wrenching, and really that should not be problem if you get a turn-key and have some contacts to get you pointed in the right direction for shops that are not staffed by idiots...this is NOT rocket science...ERA will provide you or your mechanic help on any maintenance...this is not a computer controlled Porsche/Viper/Corvette.

Warren G... has a turnkey ERA FIA and has no problems...Warren is a way savy engineer car guy and could have done a kit but doesn't have the time or a stable location to do his own build up...he used one of the ERA recommended engine builders.

PM me if you would like, we can talk and I can put you in touch with a several other guys who would be glad to talk on the phone.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudicrousSpeed View Post
I'm in Ventura but am also frequently in San Diego. I'm looking at getting either an ERA, SPF or Backdraft, and would like to see them in person & also get a feel for the support network for each.
Thanks
-Mark
ERA 289 #2027
Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

Pete, Uncle Warren is here in Maryland now and his ERA FIA is still running strong.

Frank
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Pete, Thanks for the info!
PM inbound...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Mark,
Tri-Counties is meeting is 6 December at CJ's Barbeque, 480-B South Victoria Avenue, Oxnard, CA. They usually meet about 1130.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
Mark,
Tri-Counties is meeting is 6 December at CJ's Barbeque, 480-B South Victoria Avenue, Oxnard, CA. They usually meet about 1130.
I am officially on the Tri-Counties email list
I'm gonna be down in San Diego that weekend, but I plan to meet up with you guys as soon as I can.
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default SoCal / SD area...

LudicrousSpeed,

I'm in NorCal but sometimes visit family in the North County / Cardiff By the Sea area near San Deigo. Many times I've hunted for other Cobra people each time I'm there. Also, FYI: I put on the ERA dealer booth for ERA at the '06 and '07 WSCB Bash, and enjoy working with their cars, parts, bits, etc.

Not that I want to, but in the past I've even thought of selling my own ERA 427 just so I could enjoy building another one. Hard to let go of mine, and too much history there... long story. Anyhow, I built mine, made some suspension changes and a few mods here and there, and can tell you first hand its a wonderful car and joy to own and drive. Send me a note if you like, I'd be glad to help just the same as any of these other proud ERA owners...

Here is a pic from my gallery of my SC car on the left and ERA/Peter's former street ERA purchased by a gent here in Norcal a few years ago. Others will have nice pics too, like FIA Mike's former car.

Notice the tail lights, tail pipes, bumpers, dash, "no" rollbar, and wonderful Green color on the street version car too...

Three SCs huddled together for Peter! Side by side at the last WSCB: (Mike 626, Duane 623, Chris 629)

Last edited by decooney; 12-01-2008 at 09:59 PM..
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Duane,
Thanks for the great pics, I just came back from the SoCal Cobra/Corvette monthly meet, lotsa neat people there!
I plan to start going to the Tri-County Cobra meets and closely eye-balling all the cars and peppering the owners with lotsa Q's.
ERA remains my top choice, but Backdraft is really impressing me.
Its good to have choices.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Duane,
Thanks for the great pics, I just came back from the SoCal Cobra/Corvette monthly meet, lotsa neat people there!
I plan to start going to the Tri-County Cobra meets and closely eye-balling all the cars and peppering the owners with lotsa Q's.
Its good to have choices.

LS,

What might help is for your determine what aspects of owning a replica Cobra are most important to you. Some people go for price first, others go for orginality looks, others are just for being able to "build it themself" and/or pure function regardless of looks or cost. Different factors to consider, as it helps one to decide what type car they might really be looking for. The good news is, this is a good time to buy new or used.

As you get integrated to this more, keep tabs on what's what down there, and the happenings going on...and the next time I head south to SD to see family, maybe I can drop in on one of the elvolving SoCal get-togethers down there. The closer you look at all these cars, paying closely attention to all the little bits and details, you will see just how different each of them really are as you peer under the body. After that, your eyes will go through the whole "body shape" ordeal. Enjoy the venture getting to your answer, it can be lots of fun, and especially if you take your time and look very closely.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A Backdraft is a significant cost savings over an ERA. You'll also have it a heckuva lot sooner. If you think they're comparable, I'd definately go with the Backdraft.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
LS,

What might help is for your determine what aspects of owning a replica Cobra are most important to you. Some people go for price first, others go for orginality looks, others are just for being able to "build it themself" and/or pure function regardless of looks or cost. Different factors to consider, as it helps one to decide what type car they might really be looking for. The good news is, this is a good time to buy new or used.

As you get integrated to this more, keep tabs on what's what down there, and the happenings going on...and the next time I head south to SD to see family, maybe I can drop in on one of the elvolving SoCal get-togethers down there. The closer you look at all these cars, paying closely attention to all the little bits and details, you will see just how different each of them really are as you peer under the body. After that, your eyes will go through the whole "body shape" ordeal. Enjoy the venture getting to your answer, it can be lots of fun, and especially if you take your time and look very closely.
Good point made by Duane. The reason so many people eagerly promote their own brand of Cobra is that each and every person buying a Cobra does so much research and chose their car for the reasons that are important to them, which may be different than somebody else's. Good luck on your research. I know you'll choose what's best for you.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default The Cobra Equation

"Little bits and details" = pot full of cash.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Great used deals out there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
"Little bits and details" = pot full of cash.

That's what we just convinced a local friend, who just wanted something to go on drives with all of us. He ended up with a used Factory Five with a 347 stroker in it for $19,500, done - fast/fun/cheap. He'll pocket the other 20k or so and buy some other gadget, boat, motorcycle, whatever.. Functionally it does the trick and gets there quick! Lots of great deals and approches out there on used cars too if you are open to other ideas and don't get too hung up on bits like many of us do...