Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     
Default #775 update

So I spoke to Tony yesterday. He's finishing up the paint and expects my car to be going back to Peter next week.

(Jim Holden - Tony mentioned that he had just picked up your slabside in the morning.)

So my plan was to go up to ERA to check out the car and to go over the rest of the build details with Peter. I was going to bring my list with me to go over the build and the items I had left off of my list when I had first visited Peter and left my deposit.

I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions from those "in the know" about things I definitely need to address with Peter. As a refresher, I'm getting a full build, with the engine coming from Joe at Danbury Engines. Joe has had the engine finished and is ready to do the dyno run.

-Ray
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

RAO-3:

Apparently Tony wanted the car for a car show up in Mass this week and for some pictures with the original car from which he took measurements.

As for your car, what have you spec'd out for options at this point?

Jim
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
RAO-3:

As for your car, what have you spec'd out for options at this point?

Jim
Hi Jim,

I know that Tony was quite happy with the way your car turned out. It really does look great in pictures, but even better in person.

The engine is a 428 with dual quads.

the major options I went with are:

trunk mounted battery
stainless steel sidepipes
heavy duty fan
heater & defroster
chrome roll bar (driver side)
sc dash with glove box
leather seats etc
seat tracks
side curtains
Smith gauges
soft top
sunvisors
15" steering wheel
sierra front brakes
FE expansion tank
outboard brakes
6 pin wheels
nylon carpeting
remote oil cooler/filter

I'm going with 15" wheels but have not specified tires yet. Looking for something not so sticky that it throws every rock up and chips the paint. Not looking to race, just to drive.

Everyone has been great sharing their tips and thoughts with me, both here and at the meets. I really appreciate all the help.

-Ray

Last edited by RAO-3; 06-10-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Ray ... if you plan on getting a tonneau cover , have ERA do it for you . I was stubborn and said I`ll do it . It involves locating and punching thousands ( at least that`s what it seems like ) holes in the cover and then installing all the fasteners .... and each fastener has 4 ears that have to be bent over individually !
Also look at the spats so you don`t ding up the paint on the rear fenders . I went with the Avons and they do throw some stuff , but not as much as the Billboards .
You don`t show it , but also look at the inside heat shields ( over the primaries ) for the exhaust .... heat may not be a big issue for you up there , but in the deep South it is ... will hit 97 to 98 today !
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Ray ... if you plan on getting a tonneau cover , have ERA do it for you . I was stubborn and said I`ll do it . It involves locating and punching thousands ( at least that`s what it seems like ) holes in the cover and then installing all the fasteners .... and each fastener has 4 ears that have to be bent over individually !
Also look at the spats so you don`t ding up the paint on the rear fenders . I went with the Avons and they do throw some stuff , but not as much as the Billboards .
You don`t show it , but also look at the inside heat shields ( over the primaries ) for the exhaust .... heat may not be a big issue for you up there , but in the deep South it is ... will hit 97 to 98 today !
Bobcat,

Thank you for the tips...When I was up at ERA last time, Peter asked me if I was considering the tonneau cover, but I've been on the fence with it. How often do you use it?

Good to hear your comments about the spats and the Avons. Spats are on my list, and I was considering Avons as I was told they don't kick up as much as the Goodyears do, although the Goodyear Billboards do look good.

Ray
Old 06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default One Obscure Option...

Ray, there is one option that you might want to speak with Doug about because it is easy for him to put it in when he's putting the car together. I spent years spec'ing out my car and this is the only option that, if I could go back, I would now add (of course I got just about every conceivable option there was). What I would have done then (and what I am doing now myself) would be to add a small removable access panel along the tunnel on the passenger side so that you can grease the front driveshaft U-Joint by merely removing the passenger seat, lifting up the carpet on the tunnel, and removing the small access panel. Trying to grease the front U-Joint fitting from underneath the car is very difficult. This is not a big-deal option; it's just cutting aluminum and adding fasteners. I guess another option would be to tell Doug not to use greasable fittings up front.

By the way, even with the battery up front you will still have a weight bias on the rear. Unless you're putting the battery in the back solely for the coolness factor I would leave it up front. I can post my corner weights if you're interested.

I didn't see pusher fans on your list. Nor did I see wind wings, Tripod lights, brake light reflectors, chip guard on the rear fenders, steel spinners (not aluminum), and of course the extra venting and heat shielding is always a good idea... I'm sure I'll think up some more after I hit the "post" button.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

... this came to mind as well

A/C Pedals
Heater shut off valve on Manifold
Original Brake & Clutch Reservoir Cans
Quick Release Steering Hub
Front and Rear Sway Bars
Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Patrickt,

Thank you for the tips...

Like you, I also kind of feel like I'm ordering everything I can think of, but of course I have to turn to you guys for the things I never would have thought of...like the access panel.

I was putting the battery in back for both the "coolness factor" and to keep it cool - don't like to have the battery in the engine compartment with it exposed to all the heat.

I did leave a few things off the list I posted here but have them on my add list, such as the pusher fans, tripod lights, foot box heat shield, the sway bars front and rear.

I'm adding to the list:brake light reflectors, stainless steel spinners, extra venting and heat shielding

Thought I had the AC pedals already on the list, but don't see it, so adding that...

What's the purpose of the heater shut-off valve on the manifold? That's a new one to me.

Peter had me down for the bmw reservior... what are your thoughts on that?

The quick release steering hub is not legal in NJ...

One of the concerns I have is getting this past the inspectors in NJ.

-Ray
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
What's the purpose of the heater shut-off valve on the manifold? That's a new one to me.

The heater/defroster in our cars is really "always on" to a certain extent, even if you don't have the fan blowing. You turn it "off" by closing the little vent flaps -- but the heater is still pretty hot. Here's a shot of it so you can see what I mean. In the summer you don't want any heat coming out of your heater, so the best way to really turn it off is to shut off the hot coolant supply to it. The next picture shows the shut off valve to the heater hose on the manifold (big red arrow). Below that is a shot of the nicer, "classy reservoirs" -- the BMW reservoir will work just as well, but doesn't look as cool.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Patrickt,

Thank you for the tips...

Like you, I also kind of feel like I'm ordering everything I can think of, but of course I have to turn to you guys for the things I never would have thought of...like the access panel.

I was putting the battery in back for both the "coolness factor" and to keep it cool - don't like to have the battery in the engine compartment with it exposed to all the heat.

I did leave a few things off the list I posted here but have them on my add list, such as the pusher fans, tripod lights, foot box heat shield, the sway bars front and rear.

I'm adding to the list:brake light reflectors, stainless steel spinners, extra venting and heat shielding

Thought I had the AC pedals already on the list, but don't see it, so adding that...

The quick release steering hub is not legal in NJ...

One of the concerns I have is getting this past the inspectors in NJ.

-Ray
It allows you to completely shut off the flow of hot water to the heater core so that when you are driving in the summer, you don't get any unwanted heat in the car. I have one and it works. Open it in the fall/winter when you want heat, close it in the summer when you don't- ask Joe @ Danbury to install one for you.

Also, in terms of tires- I have been very happy with the Dunlop GTs. They are not expensive and have excellent traction and don't really throw any stones. Avons are excellent too, but if you are just a street cruiser, don't know if it is worth spending the extra $$ over the Dunlops. Of course, nothing beats the look of the Billboards.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patrickt - pictures definitely make it easy to understand your points. Both the valve and the reservoirs are on my list.

Chaplin, thanks for the tip on talking to Joe at Danbury, maybe I can get it done before the engine leaves his shop. Regarding the tires, I did notice the Dunlops on several cars at the Washington Crossing get together on Saturday, but had forgotten to ask about how well accepted they were. As much as I like the looks of the Billboards, I'm concerned about them kicking up stones - many have told me they do that - and the pamphlet I received from NJ motor vehicles specifically mentions tires, so I really don't want to gamble with trying to get them thru the inspection process.

-Ray
Old 06-10-2009, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Bias ply race tires, "track" every little bump in the road and are not as compliant as radial tires. They look great (I have them on my FIA) but living with the stone chips and the tracking gets old very quickly.

As for the brake cans, the brake fluid tends to bubble the paint after awhile. So, again, like the decision on tires, it's a trade off between form and function.

Jim
Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bias ply race tires, "track" every little bump in the road and are not as compliant as radial tires. They look great (I have them on my FIA) but living with the stone chips and the tracking gets old very quickly.

As for the brake cans, the brake fluid tends to bubble the paint after awhile. So, again, like the decision on tires, it's a trade off between form and function.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I was hoping to stay away from the bias ply tires because of the tracking issue.

Jim, I assume you mean the paint on the cans? Do the cans themselves deteriorate, or is it from splashes and spills of the brake fluid that the paint gets damaged? I think the bmw reservoir is plastic.

-Ray
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The tanks themselves appear to be fine. The cans have a lip around the top, so any spilled brake fluid collects and sits there... but the cans look trick. I always specify them.
Jim
Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The tanks themselves appear to be fine. The cans have a lip around the top, so any spilled brake fluid collects and sits there... but the cans look trick. I always specify them.
Jim
I really do like the look of the cans and will definitely be discussing them with Peter when I go up there.

-Ray
Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I really do like the look of the cans and will definitely be discussing them with Peter when I go up there.
OK, make sure you "upgrade" to the old-fashioned hose clamps that you can tighten with a screw driver. The new fangled pinch-type clamps leak. Reference this fun thread: Guess the Origin of this Leak - Lame Entertainment
Old 06-11-2009, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, make sure you "upgrade" to the old-fashioned hose clamps that you can tighten with a screw driver. The new fangled pinch-type clamps leak. Reference this fun thread: Guess the Origin of this Leak - Lame Entertainment
Hi Patrickt,

Definitely on my list. It's great that you post pictures with your postings, it really does help.

I've also been reviewing many of the old threads and have printed them out.

-Ray
Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's great that you post pictures with your postings, it really does help.
You'll find that most of the arguments/flames/eruptions around here start because somebody misinterprets what somebody else writes. Now that can be a lot of fun if you're intentionally baiting someone with an inflammatory post (the meaning of which you can plausibly deny at a later date). But when you're actually trying to help somebody, nothing beats a picture of what you're talking about. I try to include them whenever I can. Plus, the spectrum of knowledge on this forum runs the gamut from guys that barely know the difference between screwdrivers and wrenches to guys that are as gifted and talented as anyone on the planet. A nice photo of something tends to benefit that entire range of readers.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-11-2009 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Ray ... you asked how often I used my tonneau cover .... none so far as I`m only on snap # 568 . On my previous cars , it was handy when parked outside in case of a sudden shower , looked cool etc . When racing back in the late 60`s , we used them to cover the passenger side and the open space behind the seats/rollbar for less wind resistance supposedly .
I`ve heard of some folks using them during the winter to try and keep some heat in the cockpit .
Your choice ... I think they can look cool , but do take a few minutes to put on and also take up some storage space in the trunk .

Bob
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

patrickt - good points about knowing your audience. Also, one never knows who may find a posting using the 'search' feature - I use it quite often.

Bob, good luck with all the snaps. I will be talking to Peter about the cover as I think I would have messed it up by now.

Talked to Peter earlier today - He expects that Tony will be delivering it to ERA on Wednesday!

-Ray