Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

The only "wine" he knows is "I'd rather be racing..." (He is not a drinker of any sort of alcohol other than an occasional Margarita.)
Jim
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
The only "wine" he knows is "I'd rather be racing..." (He is not a drinker of any sort of alcohol other than an occasional Margarita.)
Jim

Jim,

Good to know ... when I visit, I'll skip the wine and work from your 'list'.

- Tim

P.S. Sent you a PM
Old 08-03-2009, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

It's ok to take the wine, but you drink it after you've dealt with Mustache Pete...

Jim
Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Tim: I have 2 , 1965 date coded 289 blocks (5 bolt rear , 6 bolt rear ) they are clean and will clean up with STD rod and STD Crank bearings and --a .020 overbore.

depends on what transmission you would like, but with a 289, you could use a new Ford Racing T5 and be a very happy guy. - and save 800$
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 08-03-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

Sounds intriguing ... thanks for thinking of me, I will definitely keep that in mind.

- Tim
Old 08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am headed out in a few days on my visit to ERA and surrounding area, from Wednesday morning Aug 26th to Saturday Aug 29th about noon.

On the agenda will be visits the companies below and hope to meet up with a couple of Club Cobra members as well.

- ERA in New Britain
- Connecticut Custom Car in Enfield
- Danbury Competition Engines in where else but ... Danbury

Questions:

- Anything of note to see for someone interested in Cars, Aircraft and History in and around these cities ... or things to see while traveling between them?

- Are there any car club events in the Hartford area with activities for a visitor to check out on Friday night 8/28 or Saturday morning till noon on 8/29 ?

Thanks!

- Tim

Last edited by tkb289; 08-23-2009 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Date Correction
Old 08-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
- ERA in New Britain
- Connecticut Custom Car in Enfield
- Danbury Competition Engines in where else but ... Danbury
I have done business with all of them. If everyone I had to do business with were as honest, competent, and easy to deal with as that group I would be dancing on the tables with a rose clenched between my teeth. Walt & Diane are especially nice to deal with. Joe is a little unusual, but he is a master engine builder -- no question about that. I am almost not kidding when I tell you that you could actually leave a signed, blank check with any of them and just tell them to fill the number in when the job is done. I trust them that much.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patrick,

That is good to know and quite a recommendation to be sure, especially from someone that is as active in CC as you are ...

I have spoken with all three and I am set with ERA and Connecticut Custom ... for the motor I have it narrowed down to a very short list, hence the visit as well to Danbury Competition as well.

From what I know, all three of these companies have been in business a long time, are run as you say by honest and ethical people that know what they are doing, and they have a great history of working with each other.

- Tim
Old 08-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If you have time, the Bradley Air Museum at Bradley International Airport may be of interest to you. Lots of history there (here), including Sikorsky helicopters. I'm heading to Carlisle PA for the 'other sports car' weekend or I'd drop by ERA to meet you. Maybe next time. Good luck with your build.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 756 427FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     
Default Visit

Tim

I have an engine built by Danbury Machine and it is great. 427 stroked to 468with dual carbs.Just got from a 100 mile cruise in CT and the engine is incredible, the torque and power and doesn't miss a beat.

Gary
Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Good luck on your trip to CT; isn't great to finally be in the position to be choosing a color for your Cobra?

Since you were going to go with a black roll bar, I was about to recommend a dark blue color for your ERA that I saw on Club Cobra a while ago. I went back to check the thread where I first saw it and noticed that the thread was authored by you. I think that color with the black wheels looks great.

I like your choices for your car; a lot of what your doing is somewhat similar to my own ERA FIA (#2044); mine is actually up at ERA right now getting some freshening up - keep an eye out for it; its Silver with black ERA spats . I have the under exhaust that runs all the way out the back; initially I thought I might change it to out in front of the rear wheels but: I got to like it all the way out of the back; and, if I wanted to change it up front, it was going to be difficult to get the pipes the way I wanted them (I liked the bigger pipes, I think 3-4" vs. just 2.5" pipes that comes with the set up). I have 2 hoods, one with a scoop, the other without.

I think that you are going to find that anything that you are agonizing over right now, you know, not exactly sure whether to choose this thing or that will all disappear when you finally get the car.

All the guys at ERA have been great; you will have no regrets. It is not only Peter, but all the guys you will be lucky enough to deal later on (if you haven't already); Bob and Doug and the rest of the crew.

Good luck.

Fastd
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am headed out in a few days on my visit to ERA and surrounding area, from Wednesday morning Aug 26th to Saturday Aug 29th about noon.

- Tim
I'll be there tomorrow to check out my paint job; sorry I'll miss you! Have fun!

Jeff
Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
If you have time, the Bradley Air Museum at Bradley International Airport may be of interest to you. Lots of history there (here), including Sikorsky helicopters. I'm heading to Carlisle PA for the 'other sports car' weekend or I'd drop by ERA to meet you. Maybe next time. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the tip, I should have some time on Saturday before flying out to visit the museum. I heard about that 'other sports car' event ... I would suspect that a few other CC members will be there as well ...

Sent you a PM

- Tim
Old 08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Tim,

Good luck on your trip to CT; isn't great to finally be in the position to be choosing a color for your Cobra?

Since you were going to go with a black roll bar, I was about to recommend a dark blue color for your ERA that I saw on Club Cobra a while ago. I went back to check the thread where I first saw it and noticed that the thread was authored by you. I think that color with the black wheels looks great.

I like your choices for your car; a lot of what your doing is somewhat similar to my own ERA FIA (#2044); mine is actually up at ERA right now getting some freshening up - keep an eye out for it; its Silver with black ERA spats . I have the under exhaust that runs all the way out the back; initially I thought I might change it to out in front of the rear wheels but: I got to like it all the way out of the back; and, if I wanted to change it up front, it was going to be difficult to get the pipes the way I wanted them (I liked the bigger pipes, I think 3-4" vs. just 2.5" pipes that comes with the set up). I have 2 hoods, one with a scoop, the other without.

I think that you are going to find that anything that you are agonizing over right now, you know, not exactly sure whether to choose this thing or that will all disappear when you finally get the car.

All the guys at ERA have been great; you will have no regrets. It is not only Peter, but all the guys you will be lucky enough to deal later on (if you haven't already); Bob and Doug and the rest of the crew.

Good luck.

Fastd

Fastd,

I have a list a mile long and have gone through the FIA manual many times with a highlighter ... as well as going through the online index. It almost feels like I am studying for a final exam

The other great source of information that I have found, is right here at Club Cobra and the guys that I have met.

Along with talking with Peter, I have also talked with Bob and exchanged a few emails. I am looking forward to meeting the rest of the crew. I am pretty well settled on the big stuff, but there seems to be no end to the details and all of the options. I have done a lot of homework to get to this point and it's been fun. Now it's time to start the build ... ( still working on that shade of blue ... )

- Tim
Old 08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
I'll be there tomorrow to check out my paint job; sorry I'll miss you! Have fun!

Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry to miss you as well ... any guess as to when you car will be completed ?

- Tim
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Jeff,

Sorry to miss you as well ... any guess as to when you car will be completed ?

- Tim
Ten weeks was Peter's most recent guess. I'm not holding him to it...

Jeff
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back from my visit to ERA ... it was great! See the new build log thread that I started (8/31/09) ... ERA 2136 Build Log.

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Back from my visit to ERA ... it was great! See the new build log thread that I started (8/31/09) ... ERA 2136 Build Log.

- Tim
Congratulations on your successful visit, and having the opportunity to see your car come out of the molds! I just missed you as I was visiting on Saturday.

-Ray
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim-

I thought you might enjoy seeing this beautifully restored competition 289, painted blue with Torque Thrust wheels:

It's a slabside body with modified flares on the rear to permit bigger tires. Note the unusual bumper/quick-jacks and rear-braced roll-bar. The over-sized oil cooler scoop seems to have been added some time after the black-and-white promotional photo was taken, or maybe it is just hidden in the shadow.

More pictures here:

http://saacforum.com/index.php?PHPSE...8&topic=5377.0

Pictures of the restoration here:

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/site/547

Last edited by jeffy; 09-10-2009 at 06:58 AM..
Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,

Thanks for the post and link to the additional photos to this beautiful car! Looks like they did an outstanding job. From the B&W promo shot, you can just barely make out the left edge of the oil cooler scoop ... or maybe it's just my imagination.

I have been on vacation for a week, with no access to a computer ... I found this post about 7 pages deep ... and I had to go even further back, around 14 pages deep, to get back to what I was following before I went of vacation. It's amazing how much is posted so quickly.

- Tim