Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Factory Five Racing

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney FFR View Post
I'm sorry if my first post here on ClubCobra stirred the pot and was a bad first post.
Not such a bad post, when you consider the positive outcome.
It could have gone bad, since often brand-related controversy quickly causes the troops to take sides with no middle ground. That happens with all the brands...interesting human nature.

But it got the attention in the right places.

Quote:
I just replied with a long post and it's being held for Mod approval. What did I do to cause that?

Edit, it looks like short ones immediately post..

Stoney
We have a pretty complex anti-spam-post algorithm running on the forum...your long post had a pattern that is often seen in spam posts, with the text and hotlink patterns, hence the filter "trapped" you until a Mod could clear it.

Good luck.... and have fun.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I agree...not a bad first post at all. Rather dynamic in fact. Ron and I were watching the thread from early on. Some complained out of a defensive posture, but it turned out constructive in a good way for the brand.

In case there's any question, the "first post" reference later in the thread had to do with another initial poster's personalized comment.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Many people at ffcobra are reading into the Pied Piper I mean Dave's comments what they want them to mean. I'm hoping maybe I'll score some new shocks for my Fusion. I think they may have managed to a certain price point a little too closely with this. This shock thing should never, ever happen unless you hit something. I bought Gordon Levy's Konis last year and would have anyway since the spring rates I want to run aren't right for the shock supplied with the kit. And, because of the breakage issue.

TexasLurker, for the record ENTDOC is not an OB-GYN.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIII Roadster
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
Great first post there Stoney.
I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not. Considering your current position on the forum now, I see that you have grown tired of some things over there too.

Quote:
Anyway.. this forum is gone to the ****ter. Good luck folks. I'm outta here. Can I get a partial refund to my Lifetime Membership?
If you stick with your decision, I for one will be sorry to see you go. You've always had good things to offer over there. For the most part I still like it over there. I just try to avoid or ignore what pisses me off from time to time. I guess you have to do that on any forum. There's always someone available to disagree with anything one posts.

Stoney

Last edited by Stoney FFR; 07-25-2008 at 09:24 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

sometimes it is forgotten that these forums are really about the people and not the cars, and certainly not about the vendors.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIII Roadster
Not Ranked     

Wow! The mood suddenly changed. Looks like the solution is suppose to cost everyone another $140.00. I haven't decided where I stand on that solution.

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190574

Stoney

Last edited by Stoney FFR; 08-16-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not. Considering your current position on the forum now, I see that you have grown tired of some things over there too.
Yup...REAL tired. Go get the Konis. The ride improvement will be well worth the $500. I have the old ProShocks and replaced the rears with the Vintage Motorsports Carreras. Night and day difference. I'll be plumping down the $500 for the Konis this week. I know you're standing on principle here but just let it go and go get the Konis. You won't be sorry.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do believe I mentioned expensive options somewhere in this thread. I agree with Todd though, bite the bullit and get the Koni's; your life may depend on it.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love the way that

"turboguy" keeps telling people they picked the wrong hobby because they do not have the funds to buy something they thought they had already paid for
Old 08-16-2008, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's not the shock, it's a geometry problem, coupled with flexing suspension mounts.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     
Talking

I guess I'm looking at this all wrong.

It seems to me that we (all FFR owners) built/bought a home made race car from a reputable manufacturer.

A flaw has been discovered, documented and addressed. The stock Bilstein shocks are probably not up to the chassis' requirements and MAY break for a variety of reasons.

Several solutions have been offered.

Now, everyone, choose one and let's move on.

I personally miss the "love fest".
Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

FFR doesn't deserve a pass on this, IMO they supplied an inadequate product (not just the B-Steins, but the bad springs) so any online beating they take over this issue is just TS.

Bruce, if it's a geometry/flex problem why do the B-Steins also break in the back on the IRS cars, and most importantly, why didn't the Pro and QA-1 shocks break with regularity? Not to mention the Konis sold by Gordon Levy.

Last edited by Maricopa; 08-16-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Old 08-16-2008, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First off , let me say i am not here to bash F5, just adding my 2 cents. Some of the failures were at low speed, climing a ramp up a drive way, wheels at full lock, something was flexing/binding. Look for signs of flex at the lower control arm mounts(fore/aft movement), ball joints bottoming out in their travel, spring contacting the upper control arm. One cat broke shocks on a trailer. At full compression there is binding. it's a combination of things all at once. Every production car has suspension bumpers to take the load off the shocks/springs in the event of a failure of those parts. Why did or didn't the other brand shocks break is not the point (maybe the will). build in a safety, ( suspension jounce bumpers )
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

I experienced a Bilstein issue as it related to a coil over strut application for my fox body mustang. This is a setup from Maximum Motorsports who is very well known in mustang suspension applications. Some users were finding that the mounting ears on the strut were deforming under heavy loads from sticky tires / big brakes. Since MM developed the package, guys have been going to wider, stickier tires and bigger, better pads / brakes. It revealed the limits of the setup. MM did their own testing and came up with a plan to reinforce the mounting ears - for a $100 fee. My struts were brand new and had never been mounted but I packed them up and sent them off for the work along with my 100 bucks. What I received back was something better than I originally paid for. It appears to me a similar result is happening in this case. I have Gordon Levy's Konis on my FFR because they are just better all around. If I could get the ride I wanted from the QA1s they would still be on the car.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

People have issues they want to discuss and shed light on , or gain visibility into --and some people cant handle that.

What is the current solution to the broken shock problem<>?
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 08-17-2008, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
It's not the shock, it's a geometry problem, coupled with flexing suspension mounts.
Please share. Do you have any data to back that statement up mr. bruce? I know the location of the front lower CA inner mount isn't optimal but I can't see any geometry problems that would cause things to break.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Only data I have is the reports of broken shocks, just stating my opinion of why they break. As for geometry, many years ago I critisized the ball joint adapter giving the cars a "twitchy" road feel, and was then cruicified by the Kool Aid club. As time passed, low and behold, somebuddy built a proper ball joint adapter, and advertises that it eliminates the "twitchy" feeling in the steering.This new part has received rave reviews. Maybe as time passes ,my broken shock therory will be proven rite also.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not trying to bust your stones mr. bruce but your original statement sounded more conclusive than just opinion. I thought maybe you were on to something. I installed the SAI mod last season and it's a nice upgrade. Bump steer is a whole other issue that I need to address to make things just right.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Built 302
Not Ranked     

Has anyone seen or experienced a broken shock? It came at me out of the blue on a straight road without any potholes. After putting so many miles on mine and it just breaking, I just won't run the Bilsteins again.

FFR open house and London Cobra show in 2007
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

When I first got wind of this potential problem, I researched shocks and bought adjustable Konis because I didn't feel confident in the Bils.

Ride and handling vastly improved plus shock looks sturdy enough for a 5000 pound truck. I didn't ask FFR for a cent.

Ditch the Bils, buy the Konis and don't look back.

Nobody could touch this topic six months ago without getting hammered by the FFRmy. Now it's all they can talk about.

No matter what Dave and Bilstein do, someone is going to be upset. FF is not getting off the hook here. But, they are not going to gift each and every one of us a free set of Koni shocks.

They are a small business and if we're not careful, we could ruin a family business.