Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rev Limiters

Not long ago, I over-rev'd my engine. Luckily, no damage, or at least not that I can tell. I see a lot of mention in this site on rev-limiters. I take it a lot of them work in conjunction with a computer igntion system like MSD.

I originally had a dual points system, but have converted to a Pertronix module. Either way, it appears I need a "stand alone" limiter.

I found this one, the Pertronix 600

Seems to me that cutting ignition (even randomly to various cylinders) and then lighting it back up is asking for trouble with an engine loaded at high rpms.

What can I expect to happen when the rev-limiter comes on (other than not revving higher)? Is it sort of smooth, or does it sound like the engine is very unhappy.....like a lot of nasty misfires, etc.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     

You can buy the StreetFire from MSD it uses the same plugins that the Ford box does it has about 3 chips in it just pick the amount of revs you wanna rev to. Go to MSD.com an check it out
Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Yes, the MSD starts to cut out at the limit. Not really a misfire but more like no fire. Your foot will detect it instantly. The car will just stop pushing at that point.

John
Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What can I expect to happen when the rev-limiter comes on (other than not revving higher)? Is it sort of smooth, or does it sound like the engine is very unhappy.....like a lot of nasty misfires, etc.
With the MSD, it just acts like a very bad miss. You know instantly what you've done and it's time to get off the gas or shift.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argess View Post
What can I expect to happen when the rev-limiter comes on (other than not revving higher)?
You can't miss it, and you instantly raise your foot -- no explosions out the pipes, or anything like that. I looked for the specs on that rev limiter and it says it's adjustable -- that's good. I have an adjustable rev limiter mounted in the back of my glove box. Heaven forbid you should ever allow someone to drive your Cobra you can turn the rev limiter all the way down as far as it will go before you hand over the keys.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's one of the things I liked about this Pertronix unit. It's small, so I should be able to wire it in under the dash right to the tach wire from the coil (-) terminal, if that's how it hooks up. Getting to it for adjustment wouldn't be that easy, but it keeps my engine bay from looking too sci-fi.

I didn't want a big MSD-type CI unit in there, so I went to the Pertronix Ignitor in place of points and all looks 60's style once the dist cap is on.

I was concerned because I once melted a piston in a Mercury 70 outboard due to igntion cutting out and then coming back in. Maybe a 2-stroke loads up with fuel during a no-spark condition where a 4-stroke doesn't.

As far as a red-line goes, I'm sure I hit about 6800 rpm once with my 428 caast crank, and that bothered me a bit as I know I could have gone higher yet. Seems to me setting this unit for 6000 rpm would be a good place to start.

I could test it out at say 3000, just to make sure it works. Nice little dials on it for adj.

If anyone actually has one, I would appreciate their view on it.

Thank-you for the replies. All good information to know.

Last edited by Argess; 10-02-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have an adjustable rev limiter mounted in the back of my glove box. Heaven forbid you should ever allow someone to drive your Cobra you can turn the rev limiter all the way down as far as it will go before you hand over the keys.
That's classic. Sounds like something a lawyer would think of......

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argess View Post
That's one of the things I liked about this Pertronix unit. It's small, so I should be able to wire it in under the dash right to the tach wire from the coil (-) terminal, if that's how it hooks up. Getting to it for adjustment wouldn't be that easy, but it keeps my engine bay from looking to sci-fi.

If anyone actually has one, I wold appreciate their view on it.

Thank-you for the replies. All good information to know.
Let us know how this works out. I might consider this as an option too.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Can you use one of these rev. limiters on an EFI motor?
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Seagull81 you might check your EFI system as mine (Imagine Injection) has a rev limiter built into the program that you can set on the computer.

Dick
Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull81 View Post
Can you use one of these rev. limiters on an EFI motor?
Yes........
Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Mine is just a stock Mustang computer. I would love to have that over rev. protection. You never know when it might come in handy.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I have had several EFI motors with MSD limiters on them.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
Seagull81 you might check your EFI system as mine (Imagine Injection) has a rev limiter built into the program that you can set on the computer.

Dick
The Accel DFI system has rev limiter built in. It is programmable with the USB dongle/software.