Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     
Default PCV setup

I've read most of the PCV threads here. Most seem to hash over the basics well enough, but I have a "too much" situation.

To register 707 in California, I'll have to have a proper PCV setup with a closed crankcase ventilation system. BAR will reject anything else. The car (originally registered in MA) has closed valve covers and a rear breather. It also has a front filler.

Since one valve cover will have to breathe, it means I have to buy a pair of covers with twist-lock holes in them - I will probably go with the cast "COBRA 428" ones from Branda.

That means I have too many damned holes - one in each cover, the filler, and the breather. Since ANY PCV installation is non-original, I want to install something that is both attractive (as far as it can be) and serves the engine's needs as well as BAR's. So I'm thinking about this setup:
  • Twist-to-push on converter in each valve cover.
  • Push-on closed cap with tube vent on each valve cover tube.
  • Emission hose from each VC cap to hardline fitting through the turkey pan into the bottom of the air cleaner. (I'm actually thinking about a T fitting just under the pan on the non-linkage side, both hoses connect to it then vent through the hardline into the air cleaner.)
  • PCV valve in breather port, emissions hose to intake fitting.
  • Closed filler cap.
(There are twist-on closed VC caps, but they're huge and ugly - hence the two-part solution. Push-on caps are more attractive and more correct for the era.)

Anyone have a better idea? Should I just block off the breather port and put the PCV valve in the other valve cover? That's a little more standard but asymmetrical and ugly (IMHO). I don't mind swapping minor pieces around all day but I'd rather not change out the intake.

I know I could set something else up, simpler, and then put all the present pieces back, nice and original... but I do believe in the value of PCV so I don't mind making it a permanent modification. I just want to do it as right as possible in all ways - functional, smog-passing, visually and even using proper era components. All thoughts welcome.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =