Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Have you tried winter-weight hookers?
BaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's a snuggle for ya!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I think I'll put the Cobra in her ziplock bag tomorrow. I'm not going to get another ride until Spring.
New years cruise?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 12-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
New years cruise?
Maybe 2011. I'm afraid the crap on the street would actually eat through my fiberglass.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Maybe 2011. I'm afraid the crap on the street would actually eat through my fiberglass.
I hope we get some rain between now and then. I'm a little concerned about it too.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

In a last ditch effort to stay on topic, some consideration toward build cost between solids and Hyds. could come into play. I am lucky in the sense by block can be converted to hydraulic if desired....not so for everybody.
I remember when budgeting my build the cost of a hydraulic valve setup was considerably more than solids and would have put the screws to my budget. That and being familiar with maintaining solids helped make my decision. As well, there was quite a bit of scuttlebutt on this forum from a lot of guys lamenting roller lifter failure. My builder and I discussed it and decided to take the KISS route, at least from my perspective.

Happy Holidays to you fellas.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cost was a HUGE factor in my going with solids over hydro rollers, no question. I took like ONE look at the cost factor and I was done, back to solids. It was a no brainer.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No lifter is a bargain if you have to live in terror of your lifters and cam lobes going away. That's not even discussing what effects on bearings the metal particles have while coursing through your lubrication system.

Dave
Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No terror here, just smart building and break in procedures along with the right oil. 7000 HARD miles later and all is well.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A lot of people in similar situations can't say that, They're failing after break-in too..
Old 12-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineslinger View Post
As well, there was quite a bit of scuttlebutt on this forum from a lot of guys lamenting roller lifter failure. My builder and I discussed it and decided to take the KISS route, at least from my perspective. Happy Holidays to you fellas.
I haven't read anything about hydraulic roller lifter failure. Was there a thread about solid roller lifter failure? I have heard of some solid roller lifter failure, but very little.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I haven't read anything about hydraulic roller lifter failure. Was there a thread about solid roller lifter failure? I have heard of some solid roller lifter failure, but very little.
That was a bit of a "broad brush" post. Hydraulic rollers are as safe on an FE as they are on any other car.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a current thread from the GT40's Forum on flat tappet cam failure:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...e-bad-oil.html
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Although rare, I had a customers LS1 with a loud ticking and logging knock sensor codes.
Suffice to say one roller lifter bearing had completely failed, turning the wheel into 12 sided and damaged the cam lobe.
A new cam, lifters, pushrods and rocker arms. All sweet.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That was a bit of a "broad brush" post. Hydraulic rollers are as safe on an FE as they are on any other car.
I'd hazard to say the hydraulic rollers are more reliable than ANY flat tappet out there these days, hydraulic or solid..

Yep, my LS7 powered Z06 definitely doesn't like to rev with it's hydraulic roller It just noses over at 7100 RPM.. Oh wait, that's the computer operated rev limiter .. not the lifters.

FEs traditionally have very h-e-a-v-y valve trains, not real conducive to a high-winding hydraulic anything.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
FEs traditionally have very h-e-a-v-y valve trains, not real conducive to a high-winding hydraulic anything.
If, after carefully breaking in my solid flat tappet cam, choosing reasonable ramp rates, high quality components, always using Brad Penn and adding the original GM EOS supplement, plus sending my oil off to check the zinc/phos. content (which usally came back over 1500ppm)... if I wiped a lobe/lifter I would indeed throw in the towel and use a hydraulic roller. But I believe that quality components, reasonably ramp rates, and high zinc/phos oil will let your solid flat tappet cam outlive you. I don't know what would be in the current mix that would cause otherwise.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt;101****
If, after carefully breaking in my solid flat tappet cam, choosing reasonable ramp rates, high quality components, always using Brad Penn and adding the original GM EOS supplement, plus sending my oil off to check the zinc/phos. content (which usally came back over 1500ppm)... if I wiped a lobe/lifter I would indeed throw in the towel and use a hydraulic roller. But I believe that quality components, reasonably ramp rates, and high zinc/phos oil will let your solid flat tappet cam outlive you. I don't know what would be in the current mix that would cause otherwise.
Don't forget the last step, the one with a two handed finger crossing..

I know there's lots of FEs (and otherwise) out there that have and will continue to survive the incessant onslaught of the EPA and most oil manufacturers. The point is, as the years pass, the likelihood of survivability is diminishing, both at break-in and the following years. If a failure occurs you're out much more than the original investment for hydraulic rollers. I find (as some respected FE engine builders have found) that worry and risk unacceptable.

I do enjoy a good hearty valve adjustment now and then though..
Old 12-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:

At the time I was doing the research in here you had not yet joined the forum.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineslinger View Post
At the time I was doing the research in here you had not yet joined the forum.
As I said, I haven't read anything about hydraulic roiller cam failure, certainly not in any volume.

There are plenty of FE's out there running hydraulic roller cams w/o any issue. Keith Craft, Roush, Tom Lucas (FE Specialties) and many others seem to swear by them and they provide 2-year warranties.

Regardless of my time here on Club Cobra. I just didn't materialize out of thin air in the Year 2007.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am as faithful as anyone can get pampering his toys,and having to fret over the type of oil or additives we HAVE TO use for our motors to survive.Staying one step ahead of all the changes is a full time chore.But then change is good,a roller cam setup is a good thing as long as we do not get stupid when it comes to lift and duration.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Santa's sleigh runs solid flat tappets. It's worked flawlessly for decades.