Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default FE pushrod question, see pic

I have my valve covers off checking lash and installing pent roofs. I happen to notice this discoloration on one of my pushrods, which appears to be a crack. Its starts right at the cup joint and travels down and left about 1/4 of the way around the rod. Just down from the cup line (just to the right of the vertical flash glare) I can barely feel a tiny surface imperfection with my fingernail. Do I call Smith Brothers and get a replacement, or am I sweating the small stuff? Engine has 3k miles on it and all the others are fine.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

They're solid -- I would ignore it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

El, you could always just pull it and have it magged.

Steve
Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Call Smith Brothers and replace it

elmariachi For the price of a pushrod and a 48 hour wait, you are gambling on doing large damge to the motor. If you have deep pockets, mag it and run it. For $20.00 you have piece of mind. Keep it as a spare. There is no blueing or any rubbing. Replace the pushroll and call it a day. Rick L. If you have a kids little mircoscope look at it under there and see how mad the crack looks. Maging it will tell for sure but what it costs, cheaper to replace. Ps if the motor breaks and the push rod starts the damage will you be getting money to help in the bill of repair????
Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After removing I'd lightly sand the area and do a dye penetrant check.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

There's a lot of information on this subject. I broke a socket on one of my push rods due to the outside surface rubbing against the inside of the Dove roller rocker. I later found out that the adjusting bolts must show at least 3 threads at the bottom of the rocker arm to prevent this from happening. After I replace the push rod and re adjusted the valves...I inspected all the clearences using a mirror.
That was 6000 miles ago, no problem since.

Just replace it to pevent any problems.
Bill
Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bess View Post
There's a lot of information on this subject. I broke a socket on one of my push rods due to the outside surface rubbing against the inside of the Dove roller rocker.
But he doesn't have any rubbing, and that doesn't even look like a crack to me. That just looks like a scratch and the damn thing probably came that way. I say just monitor it and leave it alone.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Well the ball in your court

elmariachi Well you got all ends of this form ideas. You can always fall back on Patrick down the road, he will help pay for your motor. He sees no issues. I know this, there should be no doubt. If you hear a little voice buzzing in your ear, LISTEN TOO IT. There is a good change that the push rod is ok. I would check all of them and rethink about this. There is nothing wrong with having a spare push rod laying around. I have 2 with the custom lengths in my motor. It's insurance. Good luck. By the way Pat's loaded, he carries 30-40 grand in his pocket, chump change.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The horizontal line????

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe the cups are welded to the pushrod-that may be a heat or weld imperfection from that process.

And it may NOT. Rather than speculate I would:

A. Email that snap to Smith Bros, get their opinion and ask for a free replacement. Failing that, (maybe they're like the now-famous Roush NON-customer service) I would:

B. Just buy a replacement, keep that on the spare shelf.

The cover's off it's easy to do quickly. But that's just me.
Ricks point about blowed-up motor is very valid.

Hopefully, Pat will indemnify all of us who take his advice against breakage. What a guy.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I spoke with Pierre at Smith Brothers and he is curious to see the rod so he is expediting a new one to me at no cost and I am sending him this one. I have enough crap keeping me awake at night, a $20 pushrod doesn't get to make that list. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

See, that's the problem with today's world, everybody is afraid to make a mistake and everybody wants "an indemnification" when they ask for advice. The result? Well, you get "defensive medicine," ridiculous legal costs for even mundane issues, and an overall escalation of costs in every sector of our economy. Only men with real balls around here are going to tell him to leave his push rod in. The rest of you are a bunch of pussies.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
...ridiculous legal costs for even mundane issues,... Only men with real balls around here are going to tell him to leave his push rod in.:
-Real balls and dickhats- I guess Pierre Smith has no balls.

So what are you gonna charge us counselor?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I make mistakes every day

Patrickt Pat I make mistakes everyday starting with getting out of bed. As far as balls, I have the normal two, make be small in size but just fine for the other half. People here are not loaded like you. We are fighting over a $20.00 dollar apart in a $20,000.00 motor. You know what happens if that pushrod fails, very possible MAJOR damage depending on what RPM the motor is turning. No oil pressure if the lifter comes out of the bore, broken valves, cracked head, damaged piston and cylinder bore. You know the possible carnage. You can gamble and win or loose, Elmariachi might not. As smart as you are with a PHD in ---, This is about a little common sense. If you had the same problem the same info would go to you. Maybe your cobra is just a toy you will use up and throw away in the next year or too. Some guys here have spent half a life time working for theirs. I know I have. My car will be the last thing I give up if I was broke. My car is part of the family. I don't have the big money to replace the motor for a problem that may have cost me $20.00 in the long run. I have been sitting on the other motor for 4 years. Have block,heads,camshaft,timing belt setup, twm 58 mm throttlebodys, all ARP fasteners, and rods. Still need about 4G's for crank LAE and pistons. Special machine work will be also needed. If I am lucky 2 years from now. I done and getting off the soap box. This is about trying to save this guy a problem. FINAL CHOICE is HIS. Have a good afternoon. Rick L. Ps does that pussies come with or without hair and how old??
Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
So what are you gonna charge us counselor?
All advice on this forum is pro bono.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

LISTEN TO RICKSTER, HE KNOW'S HIS @hit.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
LISTEN TO RICKSTER, HE KNOW'S HIS @hit.
i must side with patrick....i see nothing in the pic to be alarmed about. the cups are either swaged or welded and in those processes or just plain handling a pushrod can have cosmetic imperfections that don't mean crap.
if it was cracked it would have failed or your lash adjustment would be out. a simple eye loupe would tell you if it has any real issues. all i can suggest is don't look at your piston skirts or you may be rebuilding your complete engine.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
i must side with patrick....i see nothing in the pic to be alarmed about.
At last, someone with discerning sense. Hopefully elM. will give us an update after checking back with Pierre who, no doubt, will report that "it was merely a surface blemish, completely harmless, and nothing to be concerned about."
Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

20 bucks(or less)for "peace-of-mind".Is this really a decision that needs to be pondered?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
20 bucks(or less)for "peace-of-mind".Is this really a decision that needs to be pondered?
Yes, because it will usher in the slippery-slope decline down an OCD chute of replacing otherwise good parts because they have a harmless scratch on them.