Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ed,

I have filters on everything now but the weed eater and it is going to be hard to find one that I can fit into that tiny space and short fuel line. I am looking for some of that gray fuel line that is supposed to stand up better to the ethanol.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 351 W
Not Ranked     

Hey Patrick,

How are you ? Are you coming to the Pig Roast next week?

I could ask Doug what gasoline you use but I wanted to go to the source. I have a 351 -W with a Holley in a non-ERA and one of my fellow drivers warned me about the ethanol problem. He has the same set-up.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenbubba View Post
Are you coming to the Pig Roast next week?

I could ask Doug what gasoline you use but I wanted to go to the source. I have a 351 -W with a Holley in a non-ERA and one of my fellow drivers warned me about the ethanol problem. He has the same set-up.
A Pig Roast sounds like fun. Is that over at Scott's house? I'll log in on the local and see the thread. The gas I use is always 93 Octane, and generally Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, etc. But they always say they have ethanol in them. I don't think you can find non-RFG (reformulated gasoline) in the DC/NoVA area. The Holley 4160 is really dirt-sensitive. In fact, unless something like a Power Valve fails (and they don't really blow out much anymore), or an accelerator pump fails, there's not that much to do with them other than keep them clean. Once you get them set up right, they'll stay that way pretty much forever... until a spec of dirt gets in. If I'm at the pig roast I'll show you the air bleed cleaning. You have to be careful on a hot car though. I zip-tied my throttle wide open so I could peek down it with a flashlight when I squirted the cleaner down the air bleed. That way you can actually see it coming out down at the idle hole. Then I closed off the idle mixture screws and did it again so the pressure blows out the little air holes down the tube. Then just set the idle mixture and idle and *presto* the engine's good as new. BTW, the idle circuit is not just for idling -- it affects your low-speed drivability quite a bit.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Just to be sure, I tore this 3255-1 LeMans that I have been struggling with apart yesterday and checked every single orifice: Nothing extraordinary. However, I have noticed something peculiar though from running this carb.....several of my spark plugs are showing a single, focused dark spot about the size of a pencil eraser on the side of the insulator near the tip. Imagine spotting it with a Sharpie right below where the isolator touches the electrode tip. All the plug reading charts I can find call this "splash deposits" related to a gunked up carb or fuel additives. I am running Redline lead substitute but haven't seen this in 3500 miles with the Mighty Demon. Anyone seen something like this?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Are you running the addative in the same concentration?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Are you running the addative in the same concentration?
Running it per the bottle's recommendation. maybe a little heavy. Redline says its not being caused by their product. NGK says its a cold spot on the plug caused by being near the intake.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pat, what kind of lining is inside the metal wrapped tubing on your fuel system? I would think it would be rubber as well?

Perhaps the ultimate solution is to use fuel injection hose, expensive stuff, but I would think that would eliminate any possibility of hose break down from alcohol? Not that I'm worried about that myself, I've got rubber fuel lines, been running alchy mix gas for years, never had a problem to date...
Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Pat, what kind of lining is inside the metal wrapped tubing on your fuel system? I would think it would be rubber as well?
It's that Russell/Edelbrock crap. I don't like the Red/Blue on it anyway, so that's a good excuse to just change it all out anyway.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's that Russell/Edelbrock crap. I don't like the Red/Blue on it anyway, so that's a good excuse to just change it all out anyway.
Agree 100%.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Just to be sure, I tore this 3255-1 LeMans that I have been struggling with apart yesterday and checked every single orifice: Nothing extraordinary. However, I have noticed something peculiar though from running this carb.....several of my spark plugs are showing a single, focused dark spot about the size of a pencil eraser on the side of the insulator near the tip. Imagine spotting it with a Sharpie right below where the isolator touches the electrode tip. All the plug reading charts I can find call this "splash deposits" related to a gunked up carb or fuel additives. I am running Redline lead substitute but haven't seen this in 3500 miles with the Mighty Demon. Anyone seen something like this?
Why are you running lead substitute? Don't you have hardened valve seats?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Why are you running lead substitute? Don't you have hardened valve seats?
Nope. Go here and start with post #20. My builder overwhelmingly concurred.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Non hardened valve seats with unleaded gas is for the most part is over hyped, in my opinion. The potential for trouble is in extended miles at highway speed, over heating the seats in due time.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it, unless your planning a 500 mile trip in one shot at speed.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it
Of all the crap that worries me, that ain't on the list.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Of all the crap that worries me, that ain't on the list.
You gave me something new to worry about (only a little, but still). When I spoke with my builder, I confirmed that it wasn't a problem to run 93 octane unleaded. I assumed that also meant that he put in hardened seats, but I don't remember actually confirming that specifically. I too had NOS MR heads that had never even had valves in them. Now I wonder whether he just shared the opinion of Ernie that concern about unleaded gas on unhardened seats is overrated or whether I have hardened seats.

This may be a dumb rookie question (feel free to give me some sh!t, but I'm still learning), but is there any way to tell without pulling a head? Can I tell from the valves that I have?

EDIT: Oh, the most important part, my builder passed away in January, so I can't call him.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

get a borascope and put it in the spark plug hole.

________
Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
get a borascope and put it in the spark plug hole.
Hmmm, I didn't realize ElM. and DCDoug were that close....
Old 06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 351 W
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

I'll see you there sat (rain or shine) and I'll be cooking the sausage.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure what you would see or be looking for if you did use bora, or pull the heads for that matter. Gonna be hard to tell...

...not to worry, no problem.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now that I think about it I should probably pull those little Moraine filters out of the inlets and see if there are little black chunks of rubber in them.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let us know what you find.

www.partskeeper.com