Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Ed,
To give you some perspective-you are debating this critical issue with a man who gladly spent $800 on a $380 flywheel and who's need for this highly specialized oil is the critical endurance of his 450 HP FE to make it to a trendy restaurant and back. His ET always includes the time of the meal.
BAAAHAAAAAAAA!

Ed, Joe Gibbs produces both conventional and synthetic oils for sale. I choose conventional, but that's just me.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Aww Chas, you know me better than that. I will start a new thread over in the ERA forum in a few minutes with some shots I took on the LED switch out with the rectangular lights and single 1057 bulb. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked out.

EDIT -- and it was only $700, not $800....

Last edited by patrickt; 07-28-2010 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

When I checked the Gibbs website, I clicked on two of his many oils, and they were both "semi-synthetic". I did not click on every oil on the page to see what it was.

________
Old 07-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
When I checked the Gibbs website, I clicked on two of his many oils, and they were both "semi-synthetic". I did not click on every oil on the page to see what it was.

You would need to look under "Hot Rod Oils":

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/pro...rod/index.html
Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, . . I just looked.

________
Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Aww Chas, you know me better than that. I will start a new thread over in the ERA forum in a few minutes with some shots I took on the LED switch out with the rectangular lights and single 1057 bulb. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked out.

EDIT -- and it was only $700, not $800....
I hope you clipped your fingernails this time.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I hope you clipped your fingernails this time.
See for yourself, I just posted the thread.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is a slippery slope as to weather a hydraulic roller needs the extra zinc and phosphorous when it comes to performance engines. I wouldn't be concerned about your lexus ls 460 but a stroked small block or a flat tappet, I would have to error on the cautious side and get the zinc/phosphorous either by the oem or supplement.

Additives are consumed over time so theoretically an 800 ppm new oil may be the same as a 1200 ppm after 4K miles.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
It is a slippery slope as to weather a hydraulic roller needs the extra zinc and phosphorous when it comes to performance engines. I wouldn't be concerned about your lexus ls 460 but a stroked small block or a flat tappet, I would have to error on the cautious side and get the zinc/phosphorous either by the oem or supplement.

Additives are consumed over time so theoretically an 800 ppm new oil may be the same as a 1200 ppm after 4K miles.
Although the primary need is for the face of the lifters on a flat tappet cam, there is also data out there relative to ZDDP benefits in high performance engines where it minimizes scuffing on the piston skirts. I run it in my sons supercharged 03 Cobra Mustang.

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 07-28-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Aww Chas,
--- it was only $700, not $800....
Stand corrected-so instead that saved hundred went into that molecular degausser with interossiter-capable, digital ion-analyzing, jolt detector you bought and posted about to read current pulses in femtoseconds in our wires. Even you stated it was a one-time use device and 'why-the-hell-did-I-buy it'? That was probably 50 or 60 posts...

Now you're inflicting-ER-presenting- a tail-light swap thread on us fit to make Cobras visible to other galaxies? Jeeze-can't wait...
Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What can I say? I love cool tools. And that inductive ammeter for DC circuits is mucho coolo. And it even came with a holster. I recommend that LED upgrade. It essentially makes your Cobra lights about the same as your regular car's lights.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat-you're a good Club guy and very intelligent. You DO try to help guys with things you've done or touched. I just wish that in those 11,000+ posts and threads that you were posting more how to cut our ET's by a .5 second or endurance techniques for 30 lap track days. The dead-horse SFT/ ZDDP stuff should be searched by newbs who are interested. Ash tray, floor mat, cupholder stuff may someday lead to neon installations. And Mr Wizard, (Don Herbert) science-in-a-closet stuff is just lame.

Jeff, Rick and several other guys can weigh in on tech-heavy tips and improvements but seldom do so. IMHO that's a shame. Sorry for the rant but it won't change anything-I'm sure.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, gosh. That's almost a compliment... I think.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

High wear points include the pushrod to rocker arm fulcrum, roller bearings in lifter, lifter roller on camshaft, valve stem to rocker arm. I think I stated this earler most stock cams for example in Mustang 5.0 has a valve spring seat pressure 105 lbs and open pressure of 265 lbs in contrast to some high performance strokers which many of us have with spring pressures of 150 lb seat to 450 lb open for hydraulic rollers and as high 700lb? open for solid rollers. No oil will remedy a bad or overloaded design but will minimize wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
Although the primary need is for the face of the lifters on a flat tappet cam, there is also data out there relative to ZDDP benefits in high performance engines where it minimizes scuffing on the piston skirts. I run it in my sons supercharged 03 Cobra Mustang.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Yesterday I was in B&B Performance in Branford, CT. They had 12 bottles of Redline's ZDDP additive. They all had sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Some a lot, some not so much. So Patrick, you make a good point. I called Redline regarding the sediment and they told me not to worry about it. They said it would not happen in my crankcase?

Bob
Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
So Patrick, you make a good point.
And some people thought I was only using my head for a hat rack....
Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
And some people thought I was only using my head for a hat rack....
-No, I actually thought it was just test equipment for roll bar padding...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You mean a Crash Test Dummy?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By the way, I was at a recent Cobra gathering with more than a dozen Cobras there. I think there was ONE other guy, like me, with a single roll bar. The other owners were kind of wondering why I had ONLY one...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
-No, I actually thought it was just test equipment for roll bar padding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You mean a Crash Test Dummy?
Now was that really necessary?