Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It was your verbage in your original post that caused me to search the Mobil website and others for NON- energy conserving oils, that is when I found the Mobil 1 15W50. You will also find alot of 10W40 oils and 20W50 have the higher zinc/phosphorous additives since they do not classify and energy conservation. Valvoline VR-1 is a misleading fraud, they lead you to believe it has the additives but with the SJ rating it cannot have more than 800 ppm. Royal Purple also does not carry the SJ rating and loads their with zinc and phos but it is $$$$$ Pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Perfect example of how someone who does not carefully read your post will get mislead. 15w50 weight oil is exempt from the API limitations on SM oil. So they can indeed have the higher levels of zddp. Now if you pick up that same oil with a different weight, that zddp you want can be significantly reduced. And on the off-chance that oil has the SN rating after October and you see the words "Resource Conserving" on the label, forget it.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Yep, we don't conserve energy and we're damn proud of it.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
15w50 weight oil is exempt from the API limitations on SM oil. So they can indeed have the higher levels of zddp.
Now I realize the reason I'm running Joe Gibbs' 15w-50. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

It should be remembered that thicker is not always better. One of oil's three functions is to carry the heat away. Is it worth going to 20W-50 just for the ZDDP?

I'm sure if somebody would produce a 50-80 oil there would be a bunch of Cobra guys that would buy it.

Bob
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well said!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
It should be remembered that thicker is not always better. One of oil's three functions is to carry the heat away. Is it worth going to 20W-50 just for the ZDDP?

I'm sure if somebody would produce a 50-80 oil there would be a bunch of Cobra guys that would buy it.

Bob
Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

We don't need to run synthetic oil as we change oil once a year, which is less than 3000 miles. I use synthetic in my daily driver as I expect to get over 200,000 out of the engine. Bradd Penn realy sticks to the engine parts, when I remove the valve covers to adjust the valves everything is coated with oil.

The cost from my local distributor, 10 miles from home, is $58 per case 15W40. No shipping charges. Comes to $4.84 per quart for real piece of mind.

As far as buying ZDDP, go to your local GM dealer. I think I paid $8.99 a bottle which is cheaper than ordering from Eastwood plus shipping.

Last edited by Snakebit; 07-28-2010 at 06:54 AM..
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
Bradd Penn realy sticks to the engine parts, when I remove the valve covers to adjust the valves everything is coated with oil.
Yep, the puddles under my engine tend tend to run off the cement less quickly with Brad Penn.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post

Bob
All the more reason to buy your own ZDDP. You can add it to 0 - 20 weight if thats what you want to do. Buying your own ZDDP gives you the flexibility to do whatever you want to meet your own specific oil desires.

________
Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The problem with ZDDP additives is that you can not be assured that the additive is properly dispersed throughout the oil supply.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It comes pre mixed in a small oil base.

________
Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... which may sink to the bottom or float on the top. I would much rather have in from the get-go by the oil's manufacturer.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... which may sink to the bottom or float on the top. I would much rather have in from the get-go by the oil's manufacturer.
You are kidding right !

________
Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And not being a chemist, although I play one on TV, when it does mix, does it mix in the same manner that it mixes when manufactured at the "oil factory"?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

it is a perfectly clear golden oil color. There are no particles or solids in suspension. You would swear it was just regular oil.

________
Old 07-28-2010, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

because it is just regular oil, LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
it is a perfectly clear golden oil color. There are no particles or solids in suspension. You would swear it was just regular oil.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Putting together an additive that will disperse evenly and suspend consistently in a variety of densities (different oils have different densities) is more difficult than you would think. Ed, I don't know why you are so adamant on ZDDP additives. Even if you save three bucks a quart by buying a different oil, after you buy your additive you're only saving less than $20 on an oil change. If you need ZDDP, or just want it, then taking that risk is just dumb.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am only adament about the flexibility it gives you. I have not and do not claim it will save money. All I am saying is that you can have free reign to pick and choose the very best oil per your personal preference without being hindered by ZDDP level issues since you can add that yourself.

So, . . . It is not about cost savings, it is about total flexibility and control over the oil that goes in your Cobra.

________
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So, . . . It is not about cost savings, it is about total flexibility and control over the oil that goes in your Cobra.
Well, what specifically is it that you want, but can't get in say BP or Gibbs? Or is your argument purely theoretical? (ie, "if BP or Gibbs didn't have something I really wanted, and I found it in another oil, but that oil didn't have a sufficient ZDDP content, then I could 'roll my own' and I would be happy.")
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure about Gibbs, but Brad Penn is not a full synthetic.

Personally I feel that Mobil 1 & Royal Purple are the very best oils on the market. When I add my own ZDDP, I am in my happy place

UPDATE: I just checked Gibbs and it is also not a full synthetic. And, . . I don't know who makes it.

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 07-28-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Ed,
To give you some perspective-you are debating this critical issue with a man who gladly spent $800 on a $380 flywheel and who's need for this highly specialized oil is the critical endurance of his 450 HP FE to make it to a trendy restaurant and back. His ET always includes the time of the meal.

Greg Anderson, producing 1800+HP out of 500 cubic inches worries less about his oil's molecular composition than our resident expert AT (All Things). And yes-he has a solid roller that's over an inch and springs with a jillion pounds of pressure and he changes oil after every run.

Hint: it's all about the post count.