Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yep, I would rather buy stuff on line that spend 20 minutes running to the auto store to get it. BTW, how much "goodwill" did this thread buy me? I'm mulling over some gratuitous attack on SPF, BDR, and FFR. You know, criticize them all simultaneously to create a BFD, if you will....
Between this thread and the LED tail light thread, you're probably set for a few bomb shells. I'm surprised you didn't hop into that interior thread where it almost turned into an FFR versus BDR thread.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...did I mention all the dual roll bar cars had a perky butt?

Not thats there's anything wrong with that...
Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
...did I mention all the dual roll bar cars had a perky butt?

Not thats there's anything wrong with that...

Back to the ZDDP discussion...

Speaking about roll bars, with a lill' trick plumbing those roll bars would make a killer "high ZDDP" oil cooler too, double pass...
Old 08-01-2010, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA No. 288 with 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Brad Penn Oil and the ZDDP Debate

Recently had an amazing experience to prove the value of the original formula Kendal Racing Oil now produced by Brad Penn.

Three years ago I had put this oil in my rebuilt side oiler and pumped the oil through the engine by turning the oil pump drive with an electric drill. This was done with the anticipation that I would not be able to use the motor for a few years, so I sealed it in a crate and stored it in my garage.

Last month I decided to uncrate it, change the oil and circulate it before going any further. I bought some oil from my local auto supplier and proceded to remove the valve covers and inspect the condition of things. When I saw the incredible clean condition and this Kendal oil still sticking to all the parts, I kept the same oil in the motor and just changed the filter and pumped the oil through again.

I refused to put any of this new low quality oil in my side oiler until I could find the original stuff.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbronson View Post
I recommend the original furmula Kendal Racing Oil that is available only from specialty racing suppliers. It is not available on the shelf of your typical retail auto parts store.

Recently had an amazing experience to prove the value of this stuff. Five years ago I had put this oil in my rebuilt side oiler and pumped the oil through the engine by turning the oil pump drive with an electric drill. This was done with the anticipation that I would not be able to use the motor for a few years, so I sealed it in a crate and stored it in my garage.

Last month I decided to uncrate it, change the oil and circulate it before going any further. I bought some oil from my local auto supplier and proceded to remove the valve covers and inspect the condition of things. When I saw the incredible clean condition and this Kendal oil still sticking to all the parts, I kept the same oil in the motor and just changed the filter and pumped the oil through again. I refused to put any of this new low quality oil in my side oiler until I could find the original stuff.
Why are you repeating this post #34 and not replying to my post #39? And which is it-3 years ago or 5 years ago?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Why are you repeating this post #34 and not replying to my post #39? And which is it-3 years ago or 5 years ago?
Because it was an "amazing experience" it bears repeating.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

:lol::lol::lol:
Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Some Brad Penn oil on the way

Patrickt,

I ordered a case of 15-40w from the Oil Warehouse today. They confirmed that their stock of Brad Penn oils was from the revised formula (changed in 2008) with the appropriate levels of zinc (1500ppm) and phosphorus (1400 ppm) for a flat tappet cam. They communicated that they sell a lot of the Brad Penn oils for flat tappet cam motors.

Short of sending some of this new oil to be tested for zinc and phosphorus levels, is there an API specification rating on the product that I should be looking for? From some of the forum contributions, I understand that a rating like SE might provide the appropriate levels of zinc and phosphorus but a rating like SJ or SM would not. Are there specific API ratings we should be looking for to get the prevent appropriate levels of zinc and phosphorus? Does a specific rating guarantee these levels or that the specific rating does not prevent higher levels of zinc and phosphorus (meaning that you need to review the product specifications)?

Dave
Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Dave, I'm pretty sure that the zinc and phos limitations for the API certifications for, say, SM rated oil do not apply to 15w-40 oil (and they don't apply to 20w-50 oil either). So the short answer is that there is probably nothing on the label to look for, other than something like "Resource Conserving," to really scare you off. That's one of the problems with this ZDDP thing and why I posted that letter at the top of this thread. If it's Brad Penn (even the old Brad Penn) it has the ZDDP that you need. Now you could send a sample off to Blackstone Labs who will check it for $25, but be advised that there are reports that some of their results to tend to be on the "low end" of the scale. That letter that I posted gave me a lot of comfort. It essentially said "We know our market is aimed at guys that want high ZDDP levels. That's exactly what we're going to give you. And we're not going to get on board with an oil certification that limits our ability to do just that."
Old 08-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

If the container has the "Starburst" symbol, the oil has no more than 800 PPM ZDDP.

Bob
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

I didn't read all of the responses, so forgive me for repeating what may have been said.

I've been using Brad Penn in place of Joe Gibbs oil for a couple of years from breaking in engines on the dyno and using it on the street and track in my three flat-tappet cam engines, a stroked 302, built HP289 and a 427 side oiler. For a backup, I've ZDDP additive from ZDDP Plus Central in other premium oils. Here's their web site: http://zddppluscentral.com/home.

It's improtant to note that the most critical time with a flat-tappet engine is during break-in. I know of many engines that have wiped out their cams during this intial running period, or break-in and the first 500 miles. I've heard it said that you can "get by" without the correct amount of ZDDP in the engine oil once fully broken in, but I don't put this off to chance considering the consequences.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

if you like to use zddp additive, use the redline additive. One bottle is good for two oil 8 quart oil changes $13.95, summit and Jegs sale so if you are ordering other stuff you just pay one shipping and handleing fee.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Here's the content of ZDDP and Phos. in Amsoil:

AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils Phosphorus Zinc Level
Level (ppm) (ppm)
AMO 10W-40 Synthetic
Premium Protection Motor Oil 1265 1378

ARO 20W-50 Synthetic
Premium Protection Motor Oil 1266 1379

HDD Series 3000 Synthetic
5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil 1266 1379

AME 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy
Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil 1267 1377

AMSOIL Synthetic Racing Oils Phosphorus Zinc Level
Level (ppm) (ppm)
RD20 Dominator Synthetic
Racing Oil 5W-20 1424 1575

RD30 Dominator Synthetic
Racing Oil 10W-30 1424 1575

RD50 Dominator Synthetic

Racing Oil 15W-50 1424 1575
AHR SAE 60 Synthetic Super

Heavy Weight Racing Oil 1265

How does that compare to the oils mentioned earlier in this thread?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFe66 View Post
How does that compare to the oils mentioned earlier in this thread?
All of those oils are just fine for our cars including solid, flat tappet cams. Once you get over around 1200ppm it's no longer a case of protection, in and of itself, but rather how long that protection will last (because the additives are consumed). We all change our oil out long before the additives are used up, so that's not really a big deal. But to answer your question, the opening post in this thread lists Brad Penn as coming in at 1500ppm, but that doesn't mean it protects better. It's like vitamins, once you have enough, you have enough; taking more doesn't help you (and sometimes can hurt). And yes, there is a point of diminishing return for ZDDP as well. I have an SAE article where tests done on solid flat tappet cams and ZDDP back in the 1970's showed that once you crested about 1900ppm wear began to increase.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Patrickt is dead on, in fact over 1900 ppm from what I read causes bearing corrosion issues. Does anyone know the rate of consumption, 100 ppm every xxxx miles.

Quote:
All of those oils are just fine for our cars including solid, flat tappet cams. Once you get over around 1200ppm it's no longer a case of protection, in and of itself, but rather how long that protection will last (because the additives are consumed). We all change our oil out long before the additives are used up, so that's not really a big deal. But to answer your question, the opening post in this thread lists Brad Penn as coming in at 1500ppm, but that doesn't mean it protects better. It's like vitamins, once you have enough, you have enough; taking more doesn't help you (and sometimes can hurt). And yes, there is a point of diminishing return for ZDDP as well. I have an SAE article where tests done on solid flat tappet cams and ZDDP back in the 1970's showed that once you crested about 1900ppm wear began to increase.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was getting it off Amazon.com and you could generally find it for just under five bucks a quart and then try for the "Super Saver" free shipping. But the Oil Warehouse now ships it to me for that price as well, so I think I will give them a try. I think that's the price to beat right now, five bucks a quart delivered to your door.
FYI - to our location, Oil Warehouse charges $39 + $21 shipping () or $60 delivered a case - they are definitely playing games with pricing and shipping. You can buy from a fellow Club Cobra member (Fred - "FWB") for $48 + $11 shipping or $59 delivered. So you get to support another club member for the same price.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
...they are definitely playing games with pricing and shipping.
The phrase for today is "conscious parallelism."
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Does that denote two lumpy roll bars?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Does that denote two lumpy roll bars?
No, but I am 100% positive that you Googled it.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Actually more like someone's sophomoric approach to pricing strategy.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)