Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 428
Not Ranked     
Default rocker ?

hi have a 390 b\s to 428. stock 390 heads erson .551 lift hyd cam. i don't think i can use stock rockers? what is a good set of rockers that i can with my stock heads? thanks
Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

PRW makes a very nice set of rocker arms. They are roller rockers, bushed inside. Comes with hardened shafts, billet stands, studs, etc. I sell them at $445 + shipping.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok can i use these with stock heads? and what about push rod size?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, they will work with stock heads.

They use a standard FE pushrod, ball/cup. The kit comes with a pushrod length checker as it's always a good idea to recheck pushrod length when you change valvetrain components. I can't really say for sure if you'll be able to reuse your existing pushrods, you would have to mock them up and see. However, that would be the case with any aftermarket rocker arm setup.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default thanks

thanks for your help,i have your # and i'll be in touch.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a whole lot of customers with these and they have all been happy with the appearance and quality.

Here's a pic:

Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I used a set of their stainless rockers. Lasted about 15 minutes before I snapped 2 rockers. In addition, the roller tip and pushrod adjuster were in a straight line, and it was a little hard to get the rocker tips over the middle of the stems while keeping the pushrod in the center of the hole through the intake. Anyways, I put my Dove HD rockers back on, they're stronger, and with the adjuster alittle offset from the roller tip, they lined up much better.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did they make it right with you?

I have about 30 sets of these out to just FE Forum members only...have never heard of a complaint, aluminum or stainless either one.

Personally, I would never use anything with the name "Dove" on it.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not the biggest fan of Dove castings. They are often crude, but I have always been able to make them work. Many of the quickest Super Stock cars in the country are still running Dove parts.

But I have broken exactly two Dove rocker arms over a twenty year period of use - including solid roller applications, and the 2004 Engine Masters Challenge entry at over .750 lift. Thats a pretty good record, and certainly not a part to steer clear of.

Stock rockers will be perfectly fine at .550 lift. I would recommend aftermarket end stands if you do not have the fatory split steel ones.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

In your case you can use a stock rocker but yu need after market hardened shafts. It al coms down to te spring pressure and how agressive the camshaft is. I have not tried any of the cheaper shaft rocker arm assemblies that have been out he last few years but at the price they sell them for I do not see how they can make a very good set up. When it comes to the FE engines we build I will not use a cheap of brand rocker arm systm. We use either the Erson which we have a few left of or the new T&D set up that is the nicest factory syle set up that I have seen. They are a little more money at 895.00 but beats having to go back into the engine or being broke down.
When any new set up comes out we like to test before we put lot of it out on the market. I have not had a chance to test the PRW stuff but seems pretty cheap for a FE roller rocker set up, I guess time will tell.
Like I said you could use stock stands with stock rockers and hardened shafts and be fine. You can even go to the adjustable stock 427 rocker if you want to be able to able to adjust them.

Good Luck, Keth Craft
Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default See no problem with stock rocker but,

michael1 Mike a ran stock rockers for 2 years in 97,98 with a .500-.533" hydro camshaft from crane. They where a used set when I got them. I did get a custom length set of push rods to have the correct wear pattern on the top of the valve stem. I also make sure that there was clearance in the manifold for the pushrods. At this time I didn't do any of the oiling limiters to the heads. I also have run studs since day 1. I wanted a strong valve train and a roller setup and went to a dove setup. I added limiters for the oiling system to 100 holley jets. My rockers where not bronze bushing inside the housings. They where not the wider bodies either. I got 2 years out of them and cracked a rocker arm. 3 weeks after that the whole shaft crack off at the #7 support and another rocker. This system may work on any camshaft up to .750" lift but this is a short term rocker setup. There was some gauling of the rocker bodies. I was told by a very well known machinist to have a .020-.040 groove installed in the middle of the rocker to help with oiling. The oiling modes helped but was very uneasy about racing. I looked at T&D and Jesel. IMO the best on the market. Both needed machine work done to the heads for the plates. I started to look in another direction for the valve train. I went back to stock rockers and used the dove stands. I went with a heavy duty run of the mill shaft and had no problem for another 2 years.
Time to change things, the 452 was not cutting it any more with guys running 482 motors and up in street class. back to the drawing board. I got a set of beehive valve springs, #26120 for a BBC motor. These help the 452 motor the last year. Motor responce was a little quicker. By this time the Erson setup was out on the market. Engineering is alot better with a solid mounting plate. You do have the check the clearance under the plate and shim it if needed. Modify the end plates to clear the nuts for the head studs. Another set of pushrods, roller camshaft, roller rockers and 482 cubes. I have been running the setup for 4 years and no problems yet. 2 things that have extended the life of my motors,
First is oil volume and pressure. I run a 100# spring in an HVHP oil pump motor idles at 35-40psi and goes to 65-80 psi at 5,500 rpms. I also have a accusump 3 quart for both peroiling before starting motor and when running high speed "g" turns. If you are going to street drive the car and little to NO abuse a hvhp with a #60-70 pound spring will work fine. Add limiters of #.080 for the rocker oiling. This is a safe size to run. I have seen and heard of guys running .060 jets but blueing on the contact points was found with Erson rockers. IMO, I have never seen a motor blown or hurt from too much oil, but have seen many a failure from not enough.
The other thing is putting together a torque motor and limit the rpms to 6,200. I have 2 different tranny's 1 6sp richmond with overdrive and a G-Force 5 speed. It depends on how big the track is.
Mike making sure you have the geometry is correct and enough oiling to the heads are important. Limiting the rpms also. With the camshaft you are running a 6,000 rpm limit is all you need. I would also retard the cam shaft about 6 degrees if it has a 4 degree advance built into it. This will help with idle. more torque in the bottom end and broader range. You do kill some HP in the upper end. Your camshaft is just about out of range and you are just wasting the motor. Good luck with the rockers. I will tell you to sva eyour money and get a full roller rocker assembly. This is where both the ends have bearings or shafts. Correct oiling will give you many years of service without failures. Rick L. Ps 4th year of racing with my setup.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks all you guys for your great help.this is a great forum i've learned more in a few days here than lots time in the books.thanks again talk to soon and let you all know.