Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Do piston rings rotate on the piston?

Help, I'm trying to regain my equilibrium. I'm nearly 60 years old and I read a post on another forum where the writer asserted that piston rings rotate on the piston due to torque imparted by the cross-hatch honing on the cylinder walls. He seemed very sincere and confident in this. If by any chance this is so, I'm trying to figure out how I've never known this from messing around with muscle cars and light engine work since I was 18 - but I'm not a master mechanic by any stretch.

I asked him how the ring knew which way to rotate since the cross-hatching from the honing ran both clockwise and counter-clockwise due to the hone cycling up and down - but that didn't throw him off his stance.

I kept waiting for someone else to step in and say, yep - that's right, or nope - that's BS. But no one ventured another opinion.

So, do piston rings rotate as the piston cycles up and down? If so I wouldn't think it would be all that big a deal to assemble a ring package on a piston with the gaps all lined up. A few cycles and they would be spread around anyway.

Last edited by DanEC; 12-07-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I call "BS." Why would you go to the effort of spacing the ring gaps appropriately if the rings just start spinning when the engine starts?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yep, they sure do.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

piston rings on a 4 stroke engine rotate, where rings on a 2 stroke are usually pinned in place
Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Yep,they do rotate.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

this is some tech from a abrasive manufacturer

Crosshatch
Crosshatch is also important because the amount, depth and angle of the crosshatch in the cylinder bores determines how much lubrication the rings receive and the rate of ring rotation.

Excessive shallow crosshatch angles can hinder or slow down the necessary ring rotation that allows the rings to dissipate heat. It can also leave too much oil on the cylinder wall allowing the rings to skate over the surface and the engine to use oil. Too steep of a crosshatch angle may not provide enough oil retention and can result in dry starts and premature ring wear. A steep crosshatch angle can also create excessive ring rotation that accelerates ring and piston groove wear.

Ring manufacturers typically recommend a crosshatch angle of 22° to 32° as measured from horizontal and uniform in both directions.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok....next question...
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Ok....next question...
Why separate the ring gaps if they just start spinning anyway?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you buy the really high end rings , they will swap from the weak cylinder to the stronger to keep compression equal.
Actually , I would say they travel around a bit as there is nothing to stop them but I'd also say they don't move very much.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Why separate the ring gaps if they just start spinning anyway?
That's a good question that a lot of people don't have an answer to, and I don't know if I do either.

It is cool though....if you do some SAE research, you'll find that they can rotate up to around 10 rpms depending on several variables. Sometimes they can rotate at 1 rpm or slower.

The ring manufacturers always give their recommendations as to where to put the rings....so I do as I'm told and go with it.

When you jerk an engine apart though, the gaps can be all over the place.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

For the oil rings, they sometimes are pinned so no rotation on those.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Well, I'll be bumfuzzled. I never knew that (unless I forgot it and can't remember). Still like to understand what governs the direction the rings rotate considering the cross-hatch pattern which would pull them in both directions at once.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Well, I'll be bumfuzzled. I never knew that (unless I forgot it and can't remember). Still like to understand what governs the direction the rings rotate considering the cross-hatch pattern which would pull them in both directions at once.
It probably depends on what hemisphere of the globe you're in. You know, like flushing the potty....
Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.totalseal.com/pdf/ts_rings_article.pdf
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
I skimmed over the article and didn't see anything specific about ring rotation - but a good article. However, I've been to Google now and I wish I had done that before posting. Do I feel ignorant. Now I have to work on restoring my equilibrium.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It probably depends on what hemisphere of the globe you're in. You know, like flushing the potty....
You know that's about as good a theory as any I've heard. I like it better than the cross-hatched hone theory.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One thing I really like about these forums is that there is always something new to be learned. Being able to share and receive knowledge from you guys is wonderful. How did we ever get questions answered before the internet?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
You know that's about as good a theory as any I've heard. I like it better than the cross-hatched hone theory.
Agree there, a hard to explain phenomenon, but happens on every four stroke engine.
Hence why 2 strokes run pegged rings.
Some four strokes (Subaru comes to mind) run pegged oil rings.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 12-07-2010, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

they rotate, but I doubt the crosshatch has anything to do with it.

Z.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
this is some tech from a abrasive manufacturer

Crosshatch
Crosshatch is also important because the amount, depth and angle of the crosshatch in the cylinder bores determines how much lubrication the rings receive and the rate of ring rotation.

Excessive shallow crosshatch angles can hinder or slow down the necessary ring rotation that allows the rings to dissipate heat. It can also leave too much oil on the cylinder wall allowing the rings to skate over the surface and the engine to use oil. Too steep of a crosshatch angle may not provide enough oil retention and can result in dry starts and premature ring wear. A steep crosshatch angle can also create excessive ring rotation that accelerates ring and piston groove wear.

Ring manufacturers typically recommend a crosshatch angle of 22° to 32° as measured from horizontal and uniform in both directions.
Can someone please explain how a ring rotating is going to dissipate heat? Unless explained, I say myth busted.

If the cross hatch is perfectly uniform in both directions, the drag forces of the cross hatch will be equal in both directions, therefore the opposing forces will cancel, yielding no rotation.

I have pulled engines back down, and the rings had moved. Yes, I believe they can rotate. I also pulled an engine down that burned oil from day one, with ~5000 miles on it. All ring gaps were in a straight line on all 8 pistons, as the assembler admitted he did and didn't know any better.

I suspect they move because the cross hatch is not perfect. I do not believe they rotate at any considerable speed by design or necessity. Where is myth busters when you need them? I'm not a believer that they need to rotate or for that matter that they continuously rotate. I'm thinking it is kinda random.

Well second thought some movement might be nice to keep the gaps from wearing a line in the cylinder. So some movement is desirable.

Happy to be proved wrong and open minded to learn.

Last edited by olddog; 12-07-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: