Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE,427 SMALL BLOCK WINDSOR STROKER MOTOR
Not Ranked     
Question Engine builders

I own a superformance mkiii cobra replica,which i purchased used about a year & a half ago.it has a small block 427 in it,(a 351 windsor stroker motor).i want to eventually swap out the motor for an aluminum fe big block and i want to find the best person to build it for me.i've narrowed it down to two choices:keith craft or robert pond and i'm leaning towards keith craft,(just because i've heard a lot more about him).any advice and/or suggestions from anybody out there? I'd also be interested in anybody's opinion about a shelby aluminum block vs.a robert pond block.i'd also like to compare edelbrock stage ii heads vs robert pond stage ii heads.

Last edited by BOBBYCOBRA62; 03-29-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I went with Keith Craft as he did a small block 427 stroker for me in the past that was awesome and many engines for friends of mine her in Texas.

My new Cobra I just finished has a Keith Craft 496 FE with a Pond Aluminum block with Edelbrock Aluminum Heads - Stage III by Keith. Solid Roller Cam, T&D shaft mounted rockers, steel crank and rods, Quickfuel 850 carb and lots of other cool stuff. Chassis dyno was 681 HP. I bought the motor totally setup, alternator, pulleys etc, flywheel, clutch/pressure plate and TKO600 trans from Keith. He set it all up including dialing in the clutch/bellhousing/trans alignment. I would not spend the extra money for a Shelby block as the Pond block is great and you could use those funds for additional items on the motor.....Keith has built a ton of these aluminum FEs and can work with you on what combination you want.

Additional pics of the motor and Cobra in my gallery...

Last edited by gsharapa; 03-29-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Old 03-30-2011, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keith built my Pond 482 and the workmanship's great.

Just to mention a few other top-o-the-line FE builders worth considering...

Brent Lykins (Blykins), his customer service and "board assists" are second to none. The man exudes integrity. Not that it's a plus, but he even befriended Patrickt... (for a cam)

BarryR (Survival Motorsports) Arguably the most "published" FE engine builder around and an Engine Masters Challenge "FE" entrant winner. He eats, drinks and sleeps FE... He's been known to change a diaper and lap some valves at the same time!

T'wer me, in this economic climate, I'd set my sights on what I wanted then put it out to quote among the reputable few...
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for that info guys! Here's another question,(maybe a stupid one): Can you take a robert pond block out to 526 or 527 c.i. (like you can a shelby block)?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Blykins knows his stuff, and so does Keith, call each for a quote and get them into a bidding war, just kidding, i really like the motor combination you have now, its awesome, just drive it, there really is'nt a better set-up
Old 03-31-2011, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes they can be bored and stroked to over 500 cubic inches, pond blocks and motors are nice, very nice.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah,my 427 sb stroker's got plenty o'power,but i'm goin for that orig. Look.(i think the big-block body style should have a bb motor in it! It just looks right)! Have you ever heard of coast high performance out in cal? Evidently that's who built the motor that's in there now.the ca.plate that the car had on it when i bought it said:585hp,but i question that!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     
Default that's not nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Blykins knows his stuff, and so does Keith, call each for a quote and get them into a bidding war, just kidding, i really like the motor combination you have now, its awesome, just drive it, there really is'nt a better set-up
Dude, I'm all for good economics, but hey, both these guys have proven on this forum to be real gentlemen. Who are not in the habit of ripping people off.

Is it really necessary to play them off each other.

I'd be happy to pay either, their due amount knowing the support they give for free.

Sorry mate, that doesn't seem kosher to me.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How much can i save on a pond alum.block compared to a shelby?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

I think the Shelby block is about $1,000 more. Check Keith's new website tomorrow (KeithCraft.com) and I think you will be able to interact with the site and build your motor and see what the cost would be.

I agree with the earlier post...these guys provide the kind of service that the low bidder builder won't provide. I for one don't do business that way. We all know that these guys have to find a way to stay in business.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default can you read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Dude, I'm all for good economics, but hey, both these guys have proven on this forum to be real gentlemen. Who are not in the habit of ripping people off.

Is it really necessary to play them off each other.

I'd be happy to pay either, their due amount knowing the support they give for free.

Sorry mate, that doesn't seem kosher to me.

My 2 cents.
I said just kidding, please read my thread in detail next time. Dimis it even says it in the quote, how stupid can one be.

Last edited by fordracing65; 03-31-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Apologies,
It was not meant to be directed at yourself, but more a matter of general observation, for anyone considering such an approach.

Once again, apologies for offending.

Best wishes
Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you i accept, that is very nice.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYCOBRA62 View Post
How much can i save on a pond alum.block compared to a shelby?
As mentioned, about $1000.

Here's a few differences between the Shelby and the Pond...

If you want the Shelby name, big cubes and max power go for the Shelby block.

If you want an original looking block with actual correct casting numbers on it and a true "side oiler" go with the Pond block. The Shelby block is not a side oiler.

The Shelby block will readily handle a 4 3/8" stroke where the Pond block is limited to 4 1/4". (496" vs 527")

The $1K saved, the "correct" appearance, it being a true side oiler and my modest HP goals (600+) steered me towards the Pond Block.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are a couple other differences between the Shelby and Pond blocks that merit mention. The Shelby uses a very long special head stud that concentrates load and bore distortion down toward the main bulkhead - better for cylinder roundness and ring seal. The Shelby uses double cross bolts on the main caps - looks impressive but cannot really add much since side loads are nominal in comparison to vertical.

The Pond uses 1/4" dowel pins alongside the main bolts. I really like dowel pins - they positively locate the cap in all directions. Pond blocks also require a special head stud with addded thread engagement length. The Pond block does look a bit more original, but still is not a reproduction piece.

The Shelby is available in a 4.375 bore version, while the Pond is only up to 4.310 last I knew. Both will accomodate teh 4.375 stroke with minimal work. I currently have a Pond cammer project in the works with a 4.750 stroke....news at 11 on that one....

Both will handle quite a bit of power - I've run several of them around 800 naturally aspirated with no issues.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Seriously guys don't get hung up by HP numbers because you won't be able to use most of them unless your intent is to do some serious drag racing or long (Road America type) races. IMO anything in the 500 HP range is useable and managable but beyond that is just bragging rights. There is an edge for everything and I have found it best to stay a safe distance from that edge if you want some sense of dependability.

I have turned my first FE engine in the 7500 rpm range just to achieve a position at Texas Motorsport Speedway. I got that position but my engine let go coming out of Nascar turn 4 and I crossed the finish line very quietly and promptly loaded my car on the trailer, my weekend was over.

Either of those engines are great choices, as are a couple others, so make sure you do all your homework and know what you are going to do with your Cobra. Have some fun and be safe.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info guys,i knew about the double cross-bolts,(from the pictures) and kinda had a feelin that you couldn't take the pond block out to quite as many cubes as the shelby,(because you never hear pond advertising anything over 482 ci).but i didn't know that the shelby block wasn't a true "side-oiler".it does sound like you can make a little more power with it though,(for an extra $1000)! But hey,if you're gonna be spending $25-35000 on an engine,what's another $1000? But pond says he can make 750 hp out of his 482's,(on pump gas),whadya think?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The Shelby block has priority main oiling as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The pond website says there blocks are able to be bored over 500 inches
Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Motor choice

Hey,i wanna thank all u guys for your input! You've helped me make make my decision! I'm going with the shelby big-bore block,(527 ci) and i'm gonna have keith build it,(for a number of reasons),1:there's no replacement for displacement,2:the shelby name,3:kieth craft is on of the best names in fe engine- builders out there,(maybe thee best) and last,(but not least),the old sayingtoo much horse-power is almost enough)!