Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2001, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Commemorative Edition SRT Viper
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Temperature

Hi Everyone
I'm about to have a oil temperature gauge installed for my FE427. Can someone tell me what the oil temperature should be running at for street use. I'm thinking of installing an oil cooler but first want to find out what temp I'm running at to see if I need one or not.

thanks
Carleton
Old 09-28-2001, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Temps

80 to 90 centegrade should do. A cooler is usually not necessary on the street. Original 427 street cars didn't have them.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 09-28-2001, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Still might consider..

Steve
Thanks for the reply. Even if it is not necessary, and my temperature is normal range, I still might consider the cooler just for the look. It can't hurt, right?

Carleton
Old 09-28-2001, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

you can install the cooler and bypass it , that way : (1) you have the look (2) you can hook it up immediately if you discover you need to . I see many cars that have them 'in place' but that are not hooked up. B
Old 09-28-2001, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cooler

Actually, When I run on the street which is not very often, I cover the cooler with aluminum foil so it does not circulate air through it. Another idea would be to use -8 or -10 size lines as opposed to the original -12. This will also help to keep it warmer.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 09-29-2001, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill
Sounds like to good idea. I'll remember that.

Steve
So if I'm reading you right, an oil cooler for street could hurt an engine if the temperature is too cool.
Old 09-29-2001, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

I hope your suggestion for the -8 lines was tongue-in-cheek... It won't reduce the temperature, just the flow to the bearings.

The "best" oil temp is in the 200-230F range. That's hot enough to boil off water and gasoline fractions that contaminate the oil. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this with the cooler still in the system.

Thermostat - some adapters have a small thermostat/pressure relief built in. Alternately, there are thermostats that are installed in-line with both hoses, bypassing the cooler when it isn't necessary.

Block off the air through the cooler. You don't necessarily have to put anything in front of the cooler - something to prevent air from flowing through the cooler will be almost as effective.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-29-2001, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Bob,
My oil temp NEVER reads 200 and 95% of the time it's at 140 to 160. Is it possible to have the oil too cold? BTW the guage is good.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

You want the oil temp to be hot enough to burn off all the condensation. If the oil stays too cool, you will get a sludge build up that will eventually plug up your oil passages.

Quote:
Originally posted by ST
Bob,
My oil temp NEVER reads 200 and 95% of the time it's at 140 to 160. Is it possible to have the oil too cold? BTW the guage is good.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bob

Bob,
-8 is a bit severe but certainly -10 will slow down the flow and help the temp stay warmer than -12.

As far as the block off of air, that is exactly what I was saying. I place a layer of tin foil over the cooler so 1- It blocks off the air and 2- It blends in with the cooler and doesn't look too bad.

Also, as I said, the 427 street cars never had coolers period so, if you have to have one for the look and never have intentions of any serious track use, put it in and run the lines to the frame and don't hook them up at all.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 09-30-2001, 02:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

block off plate...earlier it was said someone used 'aluminum foil' for a block off plate. I used very thin black aluminum with edges bent 90 degrees around the corners and attach this easy 'on / off' removable oil cooler block off plate with velcro attached to the side of the cooler. Getting brisk now in Meechigan in mornings (or later) and I start out with the plate on ..as day or car warms up and it is no longer needed i can very easily detach from the velcro connectors and throw it in the trunk til such time it is needed again. Bill
Old 09-30-2001, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

I just got my new cobra yesterday. So I gather it is a bad thing if the oil temp doesn't go above 80 degrees? Other than not boiling off condensation or contaminants is there damage being done fromk the oil being too cool?

Stu
Old 09-30-2001, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Degrees

Are you talking 80 farenheight or centegrade?

Also you can warm up your oil before using the car by installing the Moroso oil pan heater. It is simple to install and works to pre heat the oil. It can't keep it hot but helps on initial start up.
What weight oil are you using?

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 09-30-2001, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Sorry. We are talking centigrade. 80 degrees C=176 F

Stu
Old 10-05-2001, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took this from:

Oil Temp Probe Location

dave,

good to see you on the forum again. as soon as you exceed the 100°C (212F) at least for a little while you are okay.

Mercedes Benz and Porsche used to let their cars cruise at 82°C (180F) all day and are fine. 180F is the opening point of the thermostat for the oil cooler.

My 964 sees more 110°C (230F) during racing and 90°C at normal (autobahn) driving.

4 cm (1 5/8") above the pan seems quite high to me. Depending on the oil which is circulating at high revs - more in the heads, less in the pan.

you may get a false reading at high revs.

I am not sure though (80%?).

dominik

Guys,
there is a company that does research on this topic:

"performance unlimited", Hartford, Wisconsin (262) 673-4077

They placed a nice chart from AATCorp.

The bearings are about 75°F hotter than the oil in the pan. Bearings are supposed to wipe out at 375°F.

That is 300°F in the pan.

Best mileage is at 195°F in the pan. Unfortunately they do not list a value for best performance.

Sorry, I do not have a weblink for this company.

Dominik (95%?)

http://performanceunlimited.com/doc.../tempguide.html
Old 10-10-2001, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default correct placement of pitot tube for oil temp

Make sure you have the sender for the oil temp gage placed correctly......

The tube on the sender should go all the way thru the adapter it is screwed into at least 1" to be well into the oil. Also the attachement point in the pan shud b down low, so as to be immersed in the oil.

Cold oil is very hard on bearing life at high rpm. Bring your oil temp up before nailing the motor. 190-200 F is fine for street work......
Old 11-04-2001, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Use AT LEAST -10 lines! Less flow of oil will not affect temperature! Install a thermostat in line to control temp. They are available from Earl's for about 30 bucks. I think the web site is www.amstreetrod.com , also an excellent source for AN lines, etc and oil coolers. I use thier 16 row with an inline thermostat and my cooler is hooked up all the time. No problems whether racing or cruising.