Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-16-2001, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, Southern Automotive "Super FE" - 452ci FE390 Monster!
Send a message via Yahoo to patrija
Not Ranked     
Default HELP - Basic Oil Level Questions

I have one of Southern Automotives 406 FEs with a Canton Racing pan (not sure which model). I checked the oil this level this AM prior to driving it and it's sitting on the "Add 1 Quart line". Of course, I searched through Club Cobra and have seen different thoughts on whether the dipstick is accurate based on where it is measuring from

Short question is: Am I safer just adding a quart without knowing the true fill line on the dipstick? Is a little TOO much oil better or worse than NOT ENOUGH oil?

My oil pressure is running 60-80 until warmed up and then drops to around 40-60. Is oil pressure any measure of when to add oil or if you have too much? I've been told by the builder that these are the normal ranges.

If you can't tell, I am a newbie and NOT a mechanic and am trying to learn as fast as I can! All help is appreciated

Last edited by patrija; 10-16-2001 at 06:05 AM..
Old 10-16-2001, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

The size of the oil pan should have no effect on the oil level required to ensure the oil pickup is covered with oil. The mark on the dipstick is calibrated to place the top of the oil level in the pan at an appropriate height to ensure the oil pickup is covered under all driving conditions. adding more oil underneath the mark has no effect on this. If you have any questions, call Bill or Lewis at Southern Automotive and talk to them about it.

BTW, you may wish to ask them about the possibility of driving the car with a dummy oil dipstick in the engine and carry an actual one for measuring the oil level. I understand that under extreme rpm operation, it is possible to pull the stock dipstick into contact with the rotating components in the bottom of the engine. Many of the FE folks take a stock dipstick and cut it off so it doesn't extend very far into the tube, and that seals the tube for operation. Then carry an extra dipstick in the trunk for actually measuring the oil level. Again, ask Bill or Lewis.

As to whether or not oil pressure is an indicator as to whether or not you should add oil, I'd suggest that it is not, until you notice that the oil pressure is holding below 25 psi under normal cruise. At that point, you're about four quarts low and you're getting intermittent oil starvation to the pickup, and hence, the bearings. Hopefully, you'll not let it get to this point.

For reference, my Southern Automotive 484 stroker starts with about 62 psi, and I see this decrease to about 53-56 after the engine has warmed up to operating temperature and I'm running above 1500 rpm. When warmed up, at idle (900 rpm) the oil pressure sits about 32 psi.

Last edited by chopper; 10-16-2001 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10-16-2001, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, Southern Automotive "Super FE" - 452ci FE390 Monster!
Send a message via Yahoo to patrija
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick thoughts and lessons. I'm a "youngen" who's always driven cars with PS,PB,EFI. I LOVE the Cobra, but have lots to learn.

I've added the oil and everything seems to be fine. Later this week, I'm going to take my Cobra down to Bill for him to look through.

I did read in SA's documentation about using a dummy dipstick with a rubber plug on the end. Yet another question for Bill!

Thanks again!
Jason

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: