Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

With T&D's, I will tap the feed hole in the head for a 1/4-20 set screw, then drill a .070" hole in them. I've never tried oiling through the pushrods, but as Barry said, I don't know why you would have any issues with that unless you're oiling through both places at the same time.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

brent, the oiling on the rockers doesnt come from the head, it can't there is a girdle that bolts to the head that actually covers the oiling hole. besides on a previous intake removal i pressed a brass plug into the head from the top to block it because at that point i wasn't sure like you....if i was feeding both places.

Barry,
so now the 3/8 pushrods are .080 wall with the solid roller.
i'm going to put in a cam much smaller. i will be going from 700lb spring over the nose to 260 lb, no roller!!!! also to get away from the PITA intake clearance i want to use 5/16 pushrods, so what wall? should i cut back there in oil flow to keep all the oil running around the lifter or cut it back both in the galley and in the pushrod.
or sleeve the adjuster nut orifice like i had mentioned.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just a minor update, motor went to Doug meyers' shop, block checked out and needed a light hone, about .003, bores were pretty good considering. crank polished out fine, rods checked very good. pistons are out to get recoated, lubricity, deciding on cam now, will be solid flat tappet....deciding on specs....more to follow later
Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Are the bearing shells marked 'upper & lower' on the back, some performance sets are marked as such due to a slight relocation of the bearing tang which locates the shell away from the chamfer side of the rod to prevent the 'radius riding' you show in your photos.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I noticed that also and it's hard to tell in the bearing/rod pics but are the caps on the correct way???? can't see the index tang in the cap.

Also---zoomed in on the pics of the marks on the cylinder walls and noticed that there are some very deep scratches in the wall result of a nasty hone job!!!!!!!!those deep marks as part of the hone crosshatch pattern shouldn't be there----------

Also-------can you post some pics of your rocker set up???? From your description , I don't believe I have ever seen a system for an FE like your describing it------
Old 04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
I noticed that also and it's hard to tell in the bearing/rod pics but are the caps on the correct way???? can't see the index tang in the cap.

Also---zoomed in on the pics of the marks on the cylinder walls and noticed that there are some very deep scratches in the wall result of a nasty hone job!!!!!!!!those deep marks as part of the hone crosshatch pattern shouldn't be there----------

Also-------can you post some pics of your rocker set up???? From your description , I don't believe I have ever seen a system for an FE like your describing it------
yes, they were in correct, the 743v bearing isn't chamfered enough for the FE's aftermarket crank fillet, they were in the correct half.

i was never pleased with the walls from the beginning, i had the heads off once before to install some thread inserts and i noticed them at that time.
they are all freshly honed now, so i'm told, when i drop the heads off for cleaning and some new springs i'm going to shoot some new pics.

the rocker system is like a Jesel setup, but to mount them you mill the rocker stand bosses off the heads to install a strap, which is held down by the heads bolts see below..........
then the rocker shaft girdle bolts to that, one mini rocker shaft per cylinder

Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Top of the food chain for rocker systems. The original oil feed through the heads is blocked/unused. Makes the FE as strong as any other engine for valvetrain.

All my stroker kits include the 8-7200CH F-M race rod bearings. I learned that the pass car bearings would not clear the chamfer radii a long time ago. Costs more but the parts work. Clevite went to a narrowed bearing instead of a chamfer on the "H" series several years ago to reduce manufacturing costs. Did not realize that the "V" bearing was not narrowed.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
Top of the food chain for rocker systems. The original oil feed through the heads is blocked/unused. Makes the FE as strong as any other engine for valvetrain.

All my stroker kits include the 8-7200CH F-M race rod bearings. I learned that the pass car bearings would not clear the chamfer radii a long time ago. Costs more but the parts work. Clevite went to a narrowed bearing instead of a chamfer on the "H" series several years ago to reduce manufacturing costs. Did not realize that the "V" bearing was not narrowed.
don't know if they consider it a narrowed bearing or not, all i know is bad ...very bad for scat cranky.......

those bearings, the 8-7200ch.........are they federal-mogul ? would that be ok to use on the lunati pro billet rods. BBC journal, being they are narrow?

the crank is a scat....4.125

Last edited by FWB; 04-15-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They would be fine. They are chamfered at the crank side, standard width at the rod side

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Makes me feel lucky only getting a lifter stuck. Thanks. I feel better.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Makes me feel lucky only getting a lifter stuck. Thanks. I feel better.

glad to be of service......
Old 05-07-2013, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

update.....visited Meyers machine today, dropped off heads for a spring change to go with the new cam.
bores cleaned up nicely with just a dusting, pistons were saved with a scraping and a new lubricity coating.....so it seems i'm on my way to a freshened engine......so now it's wait for the shortblock, then i can go pushrod shopping.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

picked up the finished shortblock and heads.....now to find time to assemble it.......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: