Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Breather Cap Question

I just changed my valve covers on my '64 427FE from chrome baldies to 427 Cobra finned-aluminum covers. I was not told when I bought the new covers that the current oil breather cap would not work....I was also not told that I needed two breather caps. I found some temporary twist on oil caps at NAPA today.

Question: Do I need breather caps? The back of my intake vents to the carb so I am assuming I do not need any additional venting, but I am not sure. You can see the hose from the back of the intake going into the Holley.

I think these are the correct twist-on caps: Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

Pics of the engine...before and after. I also changed from the 8" Stelling-Helling to the correct 14" air cleaner which would have been found on the street cars. Next? Change the red wires...

Last edited by 427 Street; 11-24-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 12:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fresh filtered air needs to be plumbed to one rocker cover, since you have a pcv valve at the top of the lifter valley.

The engine also needs to "breath" crankcase PRESSURE via a filter on the rocker cover, or a hose going to the base of the aircleaner.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i wouldn't run it without some kind of vent, whether you have a pcv valve or not. you will start weeping oil or blowing gaskets if the crankcase pressure builds too much. nice looking engine bay.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies...do I need two breather caps, or can I get away with just one?

I am still not sure what the "breather" is on the back of the intake and going into the carb. It used to be a stack with a breather on top. The previous owner said it was misting too much oil around, so he had Gessford Eng. build the base and he ran the hose to the carb. I thought that was the equivalent of the rocker breathing into the air cleaner....guess not.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Those caps you found look correct and are breather caps. With that PCV set up you have and the two breather caps that should be fine and look good.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

X2 on on the first two comments. The concept is there needs to be filtered air going into the valve cover which becomes the source for the PCV valve where the air is sucked into the back of the carb. You have cut off that air supply and you have no crankcase ventilation. Some of the original FE engines had the screw in breather that had a hose that went to the underside of the air cleaner. To add oil you just do a 1/4 twist like the cap you have, and set it aside with the hose attached. I have an old one laying around somewhere. I will see if I can find it and take a picture.

Added:
I looked but couldn't find it. Another option is there is a grommit that goes in the cap hole you have so you can use a push in breather. It just covers the ears of the screw in cap. Not ideal but it works.

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger

Last edited by Wbulk; 11-25-2012 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Those caps you found look correct and are breather caps. With that PCV set up you have and the two breather caps that should be fine and look good.
Mick,

Are you looking at the right photo? The way I read it, the second photo is how the car is set up now. The oil cap on the driver's side valve cover doesn't look like a breather to me. If the other side is the same, air can't be drawn into the crankcase and pressure will build and oil will start seeping out and blowing down the intake from the pcv valve.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

you can use one breather if it flows freely. one reason i don't like breathers, even with a pcv, is they tend to put oil mist into the engine compartment, so if you do experience some it is normal.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories
He's talking about putting these on.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Mickmate, better than the one I was thinking of and should work fine.

I found the old one. If I remember right some of the big FEs had two ventilation systems. The crankcase can create a lot of pressure. I can't remember how the other one worked.

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Originals were set up a couple of different ways. Most used an intake breather cap/fill tube at the front of the manifold. Some had a gooseneck style breather at the back of the manifold. Street cars often had the style cap you show on one side with the other side valve cover plumbed to carb. Towards the end of production I believe they were using the PCV plates on the back of the manifold as OP has done.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of the breather cap / fill tube on the front of my intake manifold.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

i bought these twist on breather type at Napa for my covers. i didn't buy them for any particular application, i just had them bring out a bunch they had and i picked what i wanted.

note the cap you linked EC 564 is a motorcraft part number. they are available at the dealer or any motorcraft reseller, i think Napa sells motorcraft also, may have to order them....

Last edited by FWB; 11-25-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
i bought these twist on breather type at Napa for my covers. i didn't buy them for any particular application, i just had them bring out a bunch they had and i picked what i wanted.

note the cap you linked EC 564 is a motorcraft part number. they are available at the dealer or any motorcraft reseller, i think Napa sells motorcraft also, may have to order them....
Perfect...I will call NAPA now, thanks. That is the part number that I wrote down as well.

Where did you get your wire trees?

Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the wire separators are moroso, i drilled holes in them, riveted them to the tangs
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You need at least one breather cap to go along with the PCV. You will have a degree of blowby no matter how good the engine is. It needs someplace to go - otherwise it will pressurize the crankcase and cause leaks - the pressure WILL find a way out if you do not provide one.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 11-27-2012, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to NAPA yesterday because I had ordered tow twist-on breather caps. I am definitely disappointed in the quality. The gasket is very cheap in appearance, and the chrome finish is poor.

I prefer all chrome like the Motorcraft EC-564 OEM caps, but I did not want the red MC decal in the center. I searched almost everywhere on the web. Any suggestions for a plain, chrome, high-quality twist-on cap?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

good quality...i'm still looking...since 2006.....I was just happy to have found one to fit. i made new gaskets from neoprene for mine.
when the breather gets oil soaked, i just throw it out and get another one.
just about everything at Napa is now china....even dorman products.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay, that makes sense. I thought it was just me Neoprene...good idea. NAPA said it was a Stant cap, so I assumed it would be nice...oh well.

This is nice, but at that price, I think it should be reserved for a show car and not for a driver which will be tossed as you said:

http://www.american-mustang.com/inde...roducts_id=344

I might just stick with the NAPA ones, even though they are tight/tough to get on and off. Or, I might get those Motorcraft (Scott Drake replicas) EC-564 even though I do not like the red decal.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the EC-564, is it just a sticker? remove it....a little Goo-gone
the Napa ones are going to oxidize on you. just be forewarned.....