Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     
Default Break in oil?

All,

What is the current state of the art in lubrication for making a flat-tappet cam survive break in?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Brad Penn break-in oil.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Brad Penn is not available locally. How about EOS or other additives?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Honestly, I wouldn't trust anything else. Summit and Amazon carry it, so you can always have a case air-lifted in....

Make sure the lifters rotate, put lots of gooey stuff on the lobes and lifter faces, have the timing set right, the carb set right, throw some Brad Penn in, watch your springs pressures, and let her rip.

I also like using Bullet flat tappet cams as they have more lobe taper.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

we sell it by the case. it's 70.00 for a case of 12

email me your ship to info and i can quote the shipping

Fred
Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to both respondents. Brent, really appreciate your recommendation. Thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

And for added protection, I add Lucas assembly lube with every oil change to make sure there is enough Zinc. Just pour it in with the motor warm. Has worked for me for years.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Break-in Oil

I think last night’s episode of “Fast and Loud” provided pretty good evidence on the difference (importance) of using break-in oil vs. additives. In the first go round of starting up a Shelby GT 350 with a fresh build, they thought they would save a few dollars and just go the additive route. After the cam and a couple of lifters tried to devour each other, they went with “$70 a case” break-in oil the second time around…after having to pull and rebuild the engine. I know this isn’t meant to be a “how to” show (or even a “how not to show”), but I thought it was kind of nice to see them share the knowledge of their mistake and the difference in the two. Bottom line…break-in oil = cheap insurance.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jody View Post
I think last night’s episode of “Fast and Loud” provided pretty good evidence on the difference (importance) of using break-in oil vs. additives. In the first go round of starting up a Shelby GT 350 with a fresh build, they thought they would save a few dollars and just go the additive route. After the cam and a couple of lifters tried to devour each other, they went with “$70 a case” break-in oil the second time around…after having to pull and rebuild the engine. I know this isn’t meant to be a “how to” show (or even a “how not to show”), but I thought it was kind of nice to see them share the knowledge of their mistake and the difference in the two. Bottom line…break-in oil = cheap insurance.
I love that show for the entertainment value. But did anyone else notice last night that not only did they use standard vs break-in oil, but it was O'Reilly brand oil. The cheapest crap they could find - on a car they expect to sell for >$50k.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

I have used Brad Penn in the past & am currently using Valvoline VR-1. I also use the Lucas additive I mentioned above. The cost of my motors more then warrants the extra protection. Why take a risk with cheap oil?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Brad Penn and Gibbs DRIVEN is the products I hear most from the racing guys.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

We use Gibbs Driven and have for about 5 years now. Have not lost one flat tappet camshaft since we started using it. I do get a kick out of people making a big deal out of the cost of their oil that might get changed once a year on these kinds of cars. Spend big bucks on an engine and then not use a break in oil or proper oil after that.
Do not think you can just us a break-in oil and then go get the stuff made for a todays engines or you will lose a lobe after the fact. I have seen guys do that before. We ship the Gibbs stuff all over the country.

Good luck, Keith
Old 11-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I feel the need for speed
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would a breaking oil be necessary for a hydraulic roller? Does the breaking oil get changed to a regular oil at some point or do you continue to use the breakin oil?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Some of you guys are forgetting that break in oil is also chemically formulated to help quickly break in rings and all metal surfaces that rub together.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Eric, pretty sure that B&B Machine on Broadway, in Mesa sells Brad Penn oil. Thinking that's what Mesa Mike used on his TR7 rebuild.