Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default 2 questions - loctite and waterpump fitting in intake

Hi Folks,
I have a couple of questions for the FE experts, hope you can help.

#1 - Where and when do you use loctite in engine assembly, and specifically which product (could use a number) do you use.

#2 - I have a sidewinder intake with a badly rusted water inlet, the one next to the thermostat that connects to the water pump with a really short hose. I got the old one knocked out and bought a new one from mansfield mustang. So what is the process for pressing this in? What kind of interference fit am I looking for and is there any kind of sealant used? The new one is steel and measures right around 0.62" The hole in the aluminum intake measures 0.60" which seems like would make for a pretty tight fight, too tight to get it in there I'd guess?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Chuck Brandt
Old 12-11-2001, 10:31 AM
I'm a bonehead!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

put the fitting in the freezer overnight.

then warm up the intake in the oven briefly.

the try getting the fitting into the intake.

I wouldn't think any sealant would be needed.

assumes clean, solvent-free, gas-free, anything-combustible-free manifold; and I wouldn't heat it up that much anyway.

WARNING:
just a thought on how this might be done, I've never actually tried this.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:33 PM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid-States, 428 Police Interceptor, TKO 5 speed, Jaguar rearend, Trigos, and Guardsman Blue!!!
Not Ranked     
Smile how fitting....

Hey,

Cobra Restorers sells a threaded brass nipple to replace the pressed in by-pass hose nipple.

I am using one on my 428 PI intake.

??? So which NFL team do you like now that our Chiefs are in the toilet??

Old 12-11-2001, 12:50 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I may have to go that way, just though this might look more original etc. Seems like a machinist could make this work out. The hole (after beating out the old one) isn't really all that round anymore. It's probably good I need to drill it larger, just not sure how much.

I'm affraid I don't follow the cheifs much, sorry to hear they are tanking, not good for the local economy

CDB
Old 12-11-2001, 01:02 PM
The longest build.....
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid-States, 428 Police Interceptor, TKO 5 speed, Jaguar rearend, Trigos, and Guardsman Blue!!!
Not Ranked     
Question machine shop

Just wondering, who in KC is building your 427 ????

Old 12-11-2001, 01:13 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A place called Miller Precision Machine down in Olathe. He seems to know his stuff but is pretty overwelmed with work. He knows I won't be able to run it for a few months so I think I'm getting back burnered some. But I guess that's okay, I'm just anxious, you know...

I called around to several places and this guy seemed to be most familiar with FE motors, and had said he did motors for 2 or 3 cobra owners in the area. I didn't ask for references so I don't know who.

I'll let you know how much I like him when it's all said and done

Take Care, Chuck
Old 12-12-2001, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Talking

Regarding question #2, I used teflon pipe thread compound (you can find it in a hardware store - it's used for assembling galvanized pipe fittings). Either the Edelbrock instructions packaged with my manifold or my Ford FE rebuild book told me to use it.

Chris
Old 12-15-2001, 01:37 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I think I got it, hope it doesn't leak :)

I got courageous (read antsy) and gave it a try, cleaned up the hole a little where I boogered it getting the old bypass tube out, then used blue silicone sealer and stomped it in there with my 12 ton press. It seemed to move easily and no cracks formed so I think I'm cool...

It's starting to look really nice (too bad it's sitting on a wooden crate instead of a 427 side oiler).

Thanks for all the input,

Chuck
Old 12-26-2001, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Gents,

We use Hydraulic Lock on ALL of the hydraulic fittings. As for the water pump bypass, I would certainly recommend the tap and threaded fitting...although I see you have already pressed it in.

Pressing is dangerous (for the manifold--and they operator if he isn't careful) and so we prefer the threaded method.

We NEVER use teflon tape. It never works and you have to keep tightening and tightening and then BOOM! something breaks :cry:

I have NEVER had anything leak with hydraulic loctite. Just for some intereresting information...as time goes by, we use more and more blue locktite. It seems to seal just as good as the hydraulic stuff and you don't have to keep two bottles around.

We use it on brake fittings, and ALL pipe threads wherever they are. (There are lots of them on an engine and oil cooler system.)

We use the red stuff on flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts. Be careful...parts usually break before the red does.

Hope this helps.

David

"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 12-26-2001, 07:52 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks that helps a lot.

Thanks David,
That helps a lot with the locktite question. Sounds like I may have gotten lucky on the press-in fitting, I'll remember your advise for future projects.

Thanks, Chuck