Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

There used to be only one style of timing chain and there are some better chains out there now. A lot of the guys are pinning the gears together and are incorporating some extra oilers as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I've been fascinated by the cammer since I first read about it many years ago, so I really do get the wow factor of having one under the hood of a Cobra. Based what I've seen and read lately since the "revival" of the once exotic and elusive SOHC however, I have to ask the following question: Other than the stated wow factor and associated prestige is there any point to putting one in a Cobra?

The last two well publicized Cobra installs that I can remember - both in Kirkhams - are Darren's flip-top cammer and Damage's car in Australia; and both failed after a little bit of spirited driving. Is the old, long chain SOHC tech just plain outdated and too fragile/fussy/finicky for practical use in anything other than a limited cruising car show queen, or can it be made to function reliably (in the context of hi-po engines, of course) for exuberant street and occasional mild track use in a Cobra? Do they offer any real benefits in the way of actual, useable performance?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-20-2015 at 06:13 AM..
Old 01-20-2015, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll be straight up and say that I'm not a cammer expert. When these things cost over $40k, no one really sells enough of them to be an "old hat" at them.

From what I can tell, there are nicer, beefier parts out there now, made by 1 or 2 suppliers. Most of the issues I have seen have been timing chain issues.

As far as performance, in my mind, they are up there with Boss 9 stuff. The heads perform extraordinarily well, and when coupled with some displacement, it can make for some big hp without having to run high rpms or high compression. It's not uncommon to see 700-750 hp out of these engines without really trying hard.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Nice builds... This one in particular will be fun to watch come together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

The last two well publicized Cobra installs that I can remember - both in Kirkhams - are Darren's flip-top cammer and Damage's car in Australia; and both failed after a little bit of spirited driving.
On a separate topic...

Buzz - do you know if those two Cammer engines were built by the same engine builder?
Old 01-20-2015, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think a lot of the failures come from the use of an aluminum chain tensioner. They will directly cause chain failures. There have been several "upgrades" for the SOHC engine and a lot of nice parts have come out lately. Robert Pond is making a ductile iron tensioner which won't flex like the aluminum one and there are some new chains and gears out there as well.

Robert has done some Spintron testing as well, while he was R&D'ing his own SOHC heads, which helps with valve spring selection...

Last edited by blykins; 01-20-2015 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I'm really looking forward to LEARNING something with this build. Thank you.

"Knowledge is good." -Emil Faber , Faber College
Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info and the build thread, Brent. Always interesting to see the detail you go into with your builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
On a separate topic...

Buzz - do you know if those two Cammer engines were built by the same engine builder?
I do know the answer, but since this is Brent's build thread, I'd rather not go into that here.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 01-20-2015, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I think a lot of the failures come from the use of an aluminum chain tensioner. They will directly cause chain failures. There have been several "upgrades" for the SOHC engine and a lot of nice parts have come out lately. Robert Pond is making a ductile iron tensioner which won't flex like the aluminum one and there are some new chains and gears out there as well.

Robert has done some Spintron testing as well, while he was R&D'ing his own SOHC heads, which helps with valve spring selection...
If I recall correctly, and understand it right, I believe Damage's Cammer was damaged in part by a flexy chain, or a suspect chain or... something along those lines. So that seems to validate your conclusions Brent.
Customer can rest easy

I must say I'm super curious on the intake... any hints?

Quote:
I do know the answer, but since this is Brent's build thread, I'd rather not go into that here.
Ahhh... Yes of course... My apologies.
Carry on...
Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It will probably be one of Robert's dual carb intakes. I may try and see if Paul Munro has any single carb single plane pieces, as it would be easier for my customer to keep it tuned and running.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When you are building these a couple things are IMPORTANT as far as the chain package goes. First is to NOT USE any chain that has the name ROLON stamped on the links. They are made in India, and the only two chains I have ever broken both came from them. One of those two was a Cammer and it cost me a ton of money to fix. They are a very common supplier for private branded stuff, and are suppliers for some of the Cammer sets out there.

Next is to look very, very carefully at the chain alignment relative to the block, heads, and sprockets. I think the aluminum tensioner is getting the blame for other issues. When we assembled our first all aftermarket Cammer we discovered that the stands, heads, tensioners, block were not in good agreement as to "front to back" alignment. We ended up doing a fair amount of machining/correction and it was amazing how much smoother the engine turned once that was straightened out.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting Barry, and makes perfect sense. I'm familiar with the gear drive arrangement - surprised that isn't used more instead of the chain. Also, to echo 750HP's post earlier; wouldn't a belt and pulley system be more durable and forgiving?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Interesting Barry, and makes perfect sense. I'm familiar with the gear drive arrangement - surprised that isn't used more instead of the chain. Also, to echo 750HP's post earlier; wouldn't a belt and pulley system be more durable and forgiving?
The gear drive seems to make sense, especially with the chain issues and the possibility of catastrophic failure.

Thread on this from 2003: cammer heads
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I remember seeing and hearing a cammer with the full gear setup instead of the chain. Lots of gears
But it seemed to worked well once you got used to the added noise of the gears all whining a bit!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was talking to Robert yesterday about parts availability and had a rather lengthy discussion with him. I think he has probably built more SOHC FE's than anyone else, from a "crate engine" standpoint.

He told me that the ability to stay together and be reliable is equal to the wedge headed FE, but you have to use the correct parts. He said the first one he ever built wore the aluminum tensioner out on the dyno. It flexed and then if he tightened the chain up so that the tensioner wouldn't flex, it would break the chain. I think Ed Pink told him that Ford tried the aluminum tensioners back in the day and just determined that they didn't work. Robert ponied up and started having the ductile iron tensioners made.

From what I understand, the two engines that were mentioned earlier in this post that failed were due to aluminum tensioners.

But again, the SOHC is an engine where we have to compare notes with each other. They cost so stinkin much that: 1. We don't get the opportunities to play with them as much. 2. If you have a failure, it's gonna cost some bucks to fix it.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Brent,
Does the warranty on an engine like this differ from Wedge engines?
Do you warranty labor but not parts, and for how long, etc.?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If it's a street engine, then it gets the same warranty as the others. Essentially the short and skinny of it is if it breaks because of something I did wrong, then I'll fix it. If it breaks because of something you did (or an installer did) or a parts manufacturer did wrong, then I'll help out the very best I can.

I provide 1 year limited warranties on my stuff.

Here's the long and fat of it if you're interested in reading:

Lykins Motorsports, LLC

I haven't ran into a lot of issues (knock on wood), but I think that those customers will attest that I do a good job of taking care of things.
rodneym and cycleguy55 like this.

Last edited by blykins; 01-21-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Only thing I really saw with the aluminum tensioner is that the fasteners sunk into it pretty easily & loosened. You needed to use a fat washer (like on a cam or damper) to get enough crush on it. Probably should be using a better alloy. You could CNC a chunk of steel pretty easily for that item...might have been cheaper than casting them.

"I can do that....."

Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And I personally don't think chain stretch is as big a deal as you might think. Consider the length of a 4.6L Ford chain from drive sprocket to driven sprocket - - the cam to cam distance on a Cammer ain't so large in comparison.

I degree in the lead cam (driver side), then degree in the trailing cam (passenger side). the newer lobes we've developed with Comp are significantly better from the old stuff and will deliver the same valve action side to side even though the lobes themselves are very different.

"I can do that....."

Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     
Default loose chain

I scrapped my aluminum tensioner after looking at the quality of the machine work on it. I found original ductile units for my two aftermarket cammers. I would like to point out that the aluminum heads have a standard 7/16 ( I think) bolt and jam nut that adjusts the tension on the idler arm and chain. The original adjusting bolt has an interference fit for the cast iron head. The interference bolt will eat the threads in the aluminum head. The standard s.a.e. bolt fits loose in the aluminum head so make sure that the jam nut is locked down tight or you may jump timing.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenmetals View Post
I scrapped my aluminum tensioner after looking at the quality of the machine work on it. I found original ductile units for my two aftermarket cammers. I would like to point out that the aluminum heads have a standard 7/16 ( I think) bolt and jam nut that adjusts the tension on the idler arm and chain. The original adjusting bolt has an interference fit for the cast iron head. The interference bolt will eat the threads in the aluminum head. The standard s.a.e. bolt fits loose in the aluminum head so make sure that the jam nut is locked down tight or you may jump timing.
Ran into that issue too. Ford had some kind of fascination with interference threads back then. Interference threads are an evil and wicked creation which should be banned from the planet and erased from the memory of mankind.
cycleguy55 likes this.

"I can do that....."

Last edited by Barry_R; 01-22-2015 at 08:02 AM..