Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
No way they could be touching. Two hard parts (rotor tip and plug contact) rubbing together? They would either clearance themselves or break something.
That's correct.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Change to a new cap AND rotor and try it. Another option is to borrow a working dizzy from someone and try that as well. Is your dizzy gear in good shape? Running out of ideas....
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

FWIW, here's a closeup of my rotor tip. I think they start out touching and he has a new rotor and cap. But I don't know....

Last edited by patrickt; 11-04-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Yes, I am still apt to think I have a component issue and leading towards the coil. I will talk with MSD tomorrow and get some advice. Just bizarre issues to have two cylinders firing and nothing else. That kind of bothers me. I did not re-wire anything. The car has set and not moved. Not sure of what is going on, but I will get to the bottom of it.

Phil
Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
FWIW, here's a closeup of my rotor tip. I think they start out touching and he has a new rotor and cap. But I don't know....

Patrick,

That is normal "burning" of the rotor tip as the spark arc jumps the gap, not from metal to metal contact.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine looks brand new...
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2016, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Yes, I am still apt to think I have a component issue and leading towards the coil. I will talk with MSD tomorrow and get some advice. Just bizarre issues to have two cylinders firing and nothing else. That kind of bothers me. I did not re-wire anything. The car has set and not moved. Not sure of what is going on, but I will get to the bottom of it.

Phil
Hi Phil,

I have never heard of any V8 ignition system only firing on two cylinders.

Have you performed the MSD spark test, by jumping the mag pickup harness with a paperclip?

What is the quality of the spark, color and gap jumping capability?

Can you measure the pickup resistance with your meter?

Gary
Old 05-15-2016, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

MSD are known for rotor phasing issues, and the burning on yours shows that.

I would also look under the rotor button where the terminal screw is to see if the spark is going straight to ground.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
Patrick,

That is normal "burning" of the rotor tip as the spark arc jumps the gap, not from metal to metal contact.
That is correct. I used to rub the tip of the rotor down with some steel wool from time to time and use emory cloth to sand the faces of the contacts in the cap to ensure a good arc.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
That is correct. I used to rub the tip of the rotor down with some steel wool from time to time and use emory cloth to sand the faces of the contacts in the cap to ensure a good arc.
We've all done that, I learned to do that as a young mechanic.

Believe it or not, a small corrosive buildup on the terminals is still a better conductor than air.

So scraping terminals is a no-no. More frequent inspection and replacement of cap and rotor is the go.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

You might check continuity of your rotor from center contact to rotor tip. I never heard of this until the other day but I read where someone found a rotor that was very high resistance between the two - should be near zero.

Hard to see how a coil could cause your problem - it feeds the cap but doesn't have any way of knowing which cylinder is next in line to fire.

I can't see how you can even get the motor to run on two cylinders (?) That sounds unlikely - more likely would be most cylinders are firing but getting a weak spark. Did you use your timing light to check each cylinder to see if it flashed, indicating power to the wire? Since you have had the plug wires off and on so many times I would check each one out for resistance and while checking them be sure to move the wire around at the plug boot. Some types of wires/connectors can be damaged pretty easily at the plug boots. Also push the plug boot back if you can and make sure the terminal is still securely crimped to the wire.

Last edited by DanEC; 05-16-2016 at 04:11 AM..
Old 05-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
MSD are known for rotor phasing issues, and the burning on yours shows that.

I would also look under the rotor button where the terminal screw is to see if the spark is going straight to ground.
I remember Kirkham's nice thread on that. MSD Rotor phasing But wasn't LargeArbor's engine running properly at one time? Something, somewhere, broke on it.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Phil,

I would agree with Dan, and the others in that you should check the wires, cap and I would also suggest the spark plugs. Dan is probably correct in that some of the time the other cylinders must be firing, the engine would not run on just 2 opposing cylinders very well. It wold sound like my fathers old 2 cylinder John Deere tractor, chug, chug, chug, chug. What may be happening now is that since there have been multiple attempts to start then engine with little or no electrical output to the spark plugs, most of the spark plugs are probably fouled. Get a new set of plugs and try them as well. Also, there is a gap between the rotor and contacts for the spark to jump across. Maybe the cap is bad in that the contacts for the most part are recessed too far? Can you take a micrometer and measure the distance from opposing contacts and see if there is a difference? If the gap gets too far the spark will be weaker and possibly non-existent.

this is a baffling problem, there are very few scenarios that would result in only 2 cylinders firing, and even those situations are basically ruled out. If the cap were out of round, you might get a situation where only the 2 contacts that were opposite each other and closest to the rotor would be the only ones able to get spark, but your 2 contact points are right next to each other. The only way that the coil would be implicated is if it was sending weak charge to all cylinders, which is not your case (unless all of the plugs are getting fouled and these are just the last 2). A bad rotor would not be bad on only 6 of 8 contacts.

I just am not knowledgeable enough about computers to know if the programming in the MSD could be off and only allowing spark to go to 2 cylinders, but that does not seem likely.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I forgot about the two cylinders Phil believes are firing are consecutive in the firing order. That means out of 720 degrees for firing all 8 cylinders, it's only firing on 180 degrees of that and the other 540 degrees are just coasting. I don't think that's possible unless the engine rpm is elevated way up there first.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary,

Yes, I did the MSD spark test and had spark.

Patrick - Yes, the engine was running well last week prior to the pushrod episode.

Continuity at the rotor button to cap is fine - checked that last night.

Phil
Old 05-16-2016, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,

Only the two header tubes were hot so only two cylinders were firing. Any chance the distributor cap could have been turned 180 degrees from where it was supposed to be?

I am still scratching my head on this as well.

Phil
Old 05-16-2016, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I still tend to believe you are getting a weak fire in a bunch of cylinders (still be relatively cool on exhaust and maybe no fire or one or two. I would ohm all the plug wires and check for high resistance and loss of continuity in them.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,

Completely agree with all of what you guys are saying and am not ruling anything out. I also plan to talk with MSD.

Phil
Old 05-16-2016, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Large,

I have been watching this thread and thought I should throw an opinion in.

I would use a spark tester or home made version, to test spark on each cylinder. If you get a new spark plug and put a small house clamp around the threads then clip a ground wire to it. Gap the plug to about .060".

Plug the tester into each plug wire with the ground wire attached to the plug and to a good ground. Crank the engine and look at the spark. I would expect a nice blue spark on each cylinder. This will test your complete ignition system.

John
Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought a new cap and rotor button and will start there. I will check to see if I cam getting spark at each wire and then go from there. I think this is the only way to know whether it's a good spark or a no spark situation. More to follow tonight.

Phil