Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   What's the appeal of an aluminum engine block? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/137550-whats-appeal-aluminum-engine-block.html)

patrickt 11-26-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1409858)
All right, I'll bite.
Who's Ellie?

You may bite, but she doesn't.:cool:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...dium/ellie.JPG

RodKnock 11-26-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1409806)
Evan would be proud of this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1409852)
They were built within the last 5 years. From my experience , the hot rodders use ally and accurate builds use iron.

"Accurate replicas." NOW, Evan would be proud of this thread. :rolleyes::LOL:

SPF1061 11-27-2016 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1409058)
Power to weight ratio....

2400 lbs vs 600 hp - 4 lbs / hp

2300 lbs vs 600 hp - 3.83 lbs / hp.

You'd never know the difference.

Unless you are drag racing. Rule of thumb is that every 100 lb reduction in weight shaves 0.1 seconds off elapsed time. That's a very big deal.

1ntCobra 11-27-2016 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1409867)
"Accurate replicas." NOW, Evan would be proud of this thread. :rolleyes::LOL:

In order to compete with Evan in threads, RodKnock observed Evan's techniques, like his opinion is the only correct one, reiterating his opinion over and over again often rewording it slightly. RodKnock then began using Evan's techniques against him, mastering them and refining them. He then found the secret weapon, get Evan in a situation where he will break the rules and be banished forever. Now RodKnock just needs to be sure he does not fall for the secret weapon being used against him. So RodKnock is not just Evan's replacement, he has surpassed Evan in his Evan'ness. RodKnock is the super Evan.

Oh, and even though the thread is alloy blocks, RodKnock will pick up on other key phrases that can trigger a tangent. I must make some mental notes of this. Hmm, "cast iron block", "accurate replica", "taco bell", ...

Evan is dead, long live the new Evan!

;) :JEKYLHYDE :eek: :rolleyes: :3DSMILE:

rodneym 11-27-2016 11:54 AM

It was me who brought in "accurate replica" to this thread, not Knockers (I think) :o
Speaking for myself, I was answering fordracing65's claim that "nobody in a Kirkham is buying iron". While I believe that most KMP's probably have ally blocks, half of the KMP's I'm in touch with regularly are in fact iron. And my experience both on and off the forums is that the ally block KMP's are typically the billet parts/non paint cars, while the painted/iron block KMP's have bumped up their level of accurate bits and pieces. That's all - just my experience. Didn't mean to add any fuel to the fire.
Call them what you want, some are more accurate than others. Not introducing the word "real" anywhere here.
And no comment on performance because it varies greatly, but most ally blocks are hot rodded to a degree, so they probably will perform better than iron but that doesn't make ally better by stretch other than weight, really.
Talking about FE's here. SB's don't matter ;)

Dimis 12-06-2016 01:20 AM

For those looking... they're out there.

FORD FE 427 ALUMINUM SIDE OILER ENGINE BLOCK GALAXIE FAIRLANE COBRA ENGINE BLOCK | eBay

patrickt 12-06-2016 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1410598)
For those looking... they're out there.

Price -- US $5,700.00 (Approximately AU $7,630.52). You guys down below must be made of money.:p

RodKnock 12-06-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1410604)
Price -- US $5,700.00 (Approximately AU $7,630.52). You guys down below must be made of money.:p

There's no markup on Pond's price. If I were building a new FE right this moment, I'd snap it up. As Brent and Barry said, in 2016, there is/was a shortage of new FE blocks.

patrickt 12-06-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1410615)
There's no markup on Pond's price. If I were building a new FE right this moment, I'd snap it up. As Brent and Barry said, in 2016, there is/was a shortage of new FE blocks.

Do you get to choose between the US price and the Australian price?:JEKYLHYDE

RodKnock 12-06-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1410616)
Do you get to choose between the US price and the Australian price?:JEKYLHYDE

Depends on which way you think the US dollar might go with the US "regime change." :LOL:

Dimis 12-06-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1410604)

Ironic hey... your not so "federal reserve" printing money faster then they can cut down trees, your interest rates lower than ours, and US debt levels infinitely higher than ours, yet our dollar has dropped from over parity against yours. %/:confused:

On the flip side, we are coming into summer, good time for you boys to holiday.
We do have the worlds most liveable cities.
One state even runs by the fairly accurate slogan, "beautiful one day, perfect the next". :)

Maybe a good idea to get in before the USD turns into Mozambique money.

patrickt 12-06-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1410623)

On the flip side, we are coming into summer, good time for you boys to holiday.

Yes, this is my favorite Australian vacation site: The 10 most dangerous animals in Australia in 1 terrifying list

RodKnock 12-06-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1410623)
We do have the worlds most liveable cities.
One state even runs by the fairly accurate slogan, "beautiful one day, perfect the next". :)

Maybe a good idea to get in before the USD turns into Mozambique money.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on where to live for the next 4 years, hopefully, where there's a nice beach, warm weather, good sushi and excellent schools and universities. :D

Dimis 12-06-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1410624)
Yes, this is my favorite Australian vacation site: The 10 most dangerous animals in Australia in 1 terrifying list

Those little things? Hardly worth worrying about. :cool:
But I wouldn't bring Ellie unless you're prepared to take on a roo. :3DSMILE:
https://youtu.be/FIRT7lf8byw

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1410625)
So, I'm looking for suggestions on where to live for the next 4 years, hopefully, where there's a nice beach, warm weather, good sushi and excellent schools and universities. :D

Hey RK,
Nice beach? - nah, great beaches -check
Warm weather? - check
Good sushi? - nah, great sushi - check.
Clean fresh air - check :o
Good schools and unis? - how does several unis in the world's top 100 sound? 2 right by your door? - check.
Sounds just like where we live.
Ps. I've been to CA, trust me, got it covered. ;)

RodKnock 12-06-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1410633)
Ps. I've been to CA, trust me, got it covered. ;)

You've been to CA? OK, I agree that DEFINITELY qualifies you to make the comparison. :LOL:

I've been to France, so I'm ready to compete in the Tour next summer. :LOL:

Dimis 12-06-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1410635)
You've been to CA? OK, I agree that DEFINITELY qualifies you to make the comparison. :LOL:

I've been to France, so I'm ready to compete in the Tour next summer. :LOL:

Surely you're not questioning my credibility on this matter? Are you suffering from Alzheimer's? Have you forgotten my last pm? Check the roster of some of those unis in CA.

If you've been to France as many times as I've been to CA, you'll be riding for team sky and froome will be your team mate, you'll place well in le tour.

Good luck.

Tim7139 12-06-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Check out Detroit.

Dimis 12-06-2016 04:17 PM

Ps. We're not on a fault line either. :eek:

patrickt 12-06-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Why don't you just exercise the "Hollywood Rule?" You know, you say your going to leave the country if such and such happens and then, when it does, you just blow it all off and stay where you are, and continue to bitc*, complain, etc.???:confused:

RodKnock 12-06-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1410648)
Surely you're not questioning my credibility on this matter? Are you suffering from Alzheimer's? Have you forgotten my last pm? Check the roster of some of those unis in CA.

If you've been to France as many times as I've been to CA, you'll be riding for team sky and froome will be your team mate, you'll place well in le tour.

Good luck.

Why would I question your "street cred" when it comes to CA? I mean, most people who come for a few visits to watch somes basketball games would be considered experts in the local real estate market. :p

Well, I bought an Assault Air Bike recently and I think I'm ready for compete with Froome and Sky. At least I know I can lift a 10 lb weight (that's almost 5 kg to you :LOL:) over my head, whereas Froome looks anorexic and the wind will blow him over. :D