Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Racer_X
  • 2 Post By DanEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default 427 FE, All Aluminium, just delivered, with TKO 600, Quicktime and McLeod clutch kit.

Hi guys. I'm in the UK and have taken delivery of the above motor this week. Its neutral balanced, so has a uniform, unweighted steel flywheel.

I'm assembling the clutch unit, which is a McLeod 12" 75236 Super Street Pro, 12" (Ford) .

My question (there are no instructions) is regarding attaching the pressure plate to the flywheel.

It seems it needs 6 x 5/16" bolts, with no dowels. Can anybody confirm this is correct? Also do I need to use threadlock and sprung washers under the bolt heads?

Same applies about flywheel bolts (washers, threadlock or not) which are 7/16.

Many thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

I'd recommend getting ARP flywheel bolts and ARP pressure plate bolts. They come prepackaged with everything you need. Summit or Jegs has them available with the better pricing and shipping.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I would recommend getting ARP fasteners also. I don't believe washers or lockwashers are used under the flywheel bolts. Some blue (medium strength) threadlocker is a good idea to use on the bolts. It's provides some additional security but doesn't take a heating torch to break them loose later.

I know on Chevrolets a crank dowel is not used on most engines - the crank dowel hole is actually an indexing provision for machining and drilling the crank. Not completely sure about Fords but pretty sure my stroked 428 didn't use a dowel.
Dwight and Pete Munroe like this.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I was just querying the size. Anyhow picked up some ARP bolts today, which bizarrely has sachet of thread lubricant included???

Anyhow, another question. Found on the clutch kit box, a bush that is the exact size and I think can only be the crank pilot bush.

However, the unit is medium magnetic. Everything you read, is that sintered bronze is a much better alternative and that Tremec do not recommend rollers. So if a pilot bush sintered with iron is no good, why are they being made and in my case supplied?

Or is it that damaged input shafts are cased mainly by bellhousings that were not dialled in?

Yours

Confused, Herfordshire, England.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

According to the Mcleod WEB site, the pressure plate bolts should have been included in your package.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.ph...pns-30644.html

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodard View Post
According to the Mcleod WEB site, the pressure plate bolts should have been included in your package.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.ph...pns-30644.html

Yes, but they weren’t, hence the questions I was seeking answers for..
Old 10-12-2017, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I bought two McLeod pressure plates this summer and didn't receive bolts with either one (and didn't expect to). Not sure about a complete clutch kit however (with disc, TO bearing, etc). If the pilot bushing is magnetic at all you don't want to use it. I know you are overseas so I'm not sure what you have access to. I used a "National HD" pilot bushing which is a Federal Mogul item. You have to specify the "HD" as the standard non-HD one is available for some car lines and is magnetic. I believe RAM and McLeod also sell supposedly brass bushings.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Couple of things

AC ventura, as far as pilot bushing or bearing, I have used both without failures. I run bearing and grease them the lubriplate grease. Iron bushing I wouldn't use. Bronze bushing wearing out will do no damage to back of crankshaft. Bearing might. Before you put this assembly togeather, put the flywheel on the crankshaft and then the bellhousing and check for out of center. It's easier to do this measurement out side the car than inside. Close to ".001" in 12 oclock,3:00 , 6:00, and 9:00. I used extra long location pins. After having the bell housing centered I weld 2 nut on the bell housing that just clear the pins. This way you have the bellhousing centered on this block. There should be no wearing out of the bushing or bearing and last 100 k miles
Loctite all bolts and nuts except for the intake, water pump bolts, timing cover bolts, head bolts, and oil pan. If you can get air craft nyloc nuts, use them where every possible. Good luck Rick
Old 11-07-2017, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

I certainly intend to dial in the bellhousing. I spoke to engine builder and he says the bush supplied with the Mcleod Clutch kit, though slightly magnetic is perfectly fine. Looks like it bronze anyhow and I guess the iron is to make it more durable.

Just clearing some space now to make an engineering table where I can assemble the motor/drivetrain and mock up the mounts based on a dummy chassis I will construct from 4" dia plastic drain pipes. The car is fully assembled, been on the road for 24 years, so mount construction, not as easy as working on a body free chassis.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: