Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Intake Gaskets

I'm replacing the intake gaskets on my cast-iron 427 medium riser stock cast iron heads heads I purchased Fel Pro #1247S-3 gaskets. My question is it looks like there is a extra port on each head near #2 cylinder one on each side. However there are no provisions in these gaskets they just cover up the ports. What are the two ports that seem to go nowhere for? By the way I have a Ford 2-4 barrel manifold.
Thanks.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Intake gaskets

Any body have idea what these ports are for? I'm waiting to install my intake until I fine out if I need these ports open or not. If I need these ports open why are ther no holes in the gaskets for them. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical glass View Post
Any body have idea what these ports are for? I'm waiting to install my intake until I fine out if I need these ports open or not. If I need these ports open why are ther no holes in the gaskets for them. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm not seeing any pics on your post so if I had to guess maybe you're looking at the heat crossover ports?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here, I found a video showing the heat x-over. I don't even have it on my heads, but I've seen them on old stuff. Here, he uses a beer can to block it off. That's the only port I can think of that you might be talking about.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Intake gaskets

That's it Patrickt.....thank you. I don't know about putting a thin piece of tin can to block off the port. I worry about an intake leak.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical glass View Post
That's it Patrickt.....thank you. I don't know about putting a thin piece of tin can to block off the port. I worry about an intake leak.
I have no experience myself in blocking off that port, but I have read that gases will eat up the gasket over time if you don't put something there. I have also read that, once upon a time, little metal pieces came with the gasket set for doing just that. Surely someone on here has blocked it off but, if it were me, I'd just hone a small piece of stock that fit in there flush and tuck it in, maybe with a dab of JB Weld.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

I think the S in the FelPro part number means they are steel reinforced. If you look closely you can see a thin sheet of steel laminated in the middle of the gasket material. I used Cometic steel reinforced intake gaskets on my 351W and did not add any kind of filler piece. Only about 2000 miles since, so time will tell.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

The heat cross over provides heat to the intake to help with the warm up cycle after a cold start. Most cars in the 60s also had a spring or thermostatic coil heat riser valve in the pass side exhaust to close it down when cold or at light throttle and force exhaust back through the manifold to the driver side exhaust system - which was why the pass side exhaust system back in the 60s would always rust out before the driver side. Once the engine has run awhile the manifold is going to get pretty warm any way from crankcase heat and it's purpose then is mostly nil although if unblocked it can add enough additional heat to promote some carb percolation issues with modern fuels. Some cars had intake mounted thermostatic choke coils that needed the crossover heat to work properly but the Ford 2x4 intake was not one of them. Best to block them off unless you are having cold start issues you can't live with. One benefit of the heat crossover is it does act somewhat like an H-pipe in the exhaust system to help mellow out the exhaust sound - but to a much lesser extent than a true H-pipe. I've never experimented back and forth but I've heard from some of the vintage Corvette guys that they can tell very clearly a difference in exhaust sound on a motor with a blocked crossover versus a motor with an unblocked crossover.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: