Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Phx Mike
  • 1 Post By Gaz64
  • 1 Post By Phx Mike
  • 2 Post By Robert Beede
  • 1 Post By Robert Beede
  • 1 Post By Tom Kirkham

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2019, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     
Default First legal drive out & oil leak around remote filter

First drive out with legal plates today.
26 miles later and it seems the gas gauge has gone down rather a lot.
I accidentally left the vacuum advance unplugged from the distributor, so I guess this could affect mpg? The carb would also have been sucking more air than it should.

However, the more awkward problem is a leak around the oil filter - some spray under the bonnet and an oil coating on the remote limes and chassis. I have tightened as much as i dare with a socket on the underside of the filter. Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

It might not be the filter, but rather the oil cooler line connections. Make sure that they are snug. I was having some problem with mixing steel fittings (AN to NPT) with aluminum fittings on the lines. They expand at different rates and may loosen when heated. Make sure that the AN to NPT fittings are aluminum if your AN fittings are aluminum.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, but no oil cooler on my car.
I also got rid of the aiuminum fittings and replaced with pates steel.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I accidentally left the vacuum advance unplugged from the distributor, so I guess this could affect mpg? The carb would also have been sucking more air than it should.

However, the more awkward problem is a leak around the oil filter - some spray under the bonnet and an oil coating on the remote limes and chassis. I have tightened as much as i dare with a socket on the underside of the filter. Any suggestions?
Kevin I am assuming you have the remote oil filter....I have had leaks at the block where the remote filter adapter attaches - 427Charlie fixed it by pulling the adapter off and resealing it with some Permatex. If you are leaking up top at the filter then a) check the lines and fittings as suggested above and b) pull the filter off and make sure the rubber gasket is not cut and that the sealing surface on the filter mount is clean and has no burrs....either way you should be able to see where it is coming from with the engine running..
KevinW likes this.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

The hex on the bottom of a K&N is for removing only.

The rubber seal should be smeared with a light coat of engine oil on assembly, hand tighten about 2/3 turn after seal contact.

If you have a leak across this junction, then removal and further inspection is required.
Wash down your current leak with brake cleaner, and run it again to pinpoint the leak. You may need to add a fluro dye to the oil.

Gary
KevinW likes this.

Last edited by Gaz64; 04-28-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

You should not have to tighten the filter more than hand tight.
KevinW likes this.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm no expert on 427's, but I experienced leaks right after I competed repair of my car from inadequate ventilation of the engine, resulting in internal pressure that forced oil out. Just a thought! Bob
ERA 626 and KevinW like this.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks all for your useful responses.
I have a spare oil filter cartridge, so I will remove the current item and re-seat the new one, as i suspect its over-tightened anyway. I had a feeling that I should not have to be tightening it too much.

There is a small amount of oil pooling on the thread/inner ridge of the oil filter where it screws on to the remote casting, so I am sure this is at least one source of the leak. It doesn't seem to spray or get worse when idling, so assume this is spreading when under load/speed.

I have a hose connection from one rocker cover to the carb manifold vac, the other rocker cover has a ventilated filler for adding oil, so i guess the ventilation issue should be OK?
Once the car is warmed up it runs around 30 psi oil pressure at tickover, going up to 60-80 psi under acceleration. Is this too much pressure internal pressure? Its a newly rebuilt engine.

On another thread, I realised I plugged the vac advance into the ported vacuum connection on the Holley, so need to swap this to full manifold vacuum, but ignoring poor mpg and temperatures, I don't think this would have an effect on the oil leak?

Last edited by KevinW; 04-28-2019 at 11:12 PM..
Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin, I don't want to send you in an unjustified direction, but it would not hurt to measure the "crankcase", or internal pressure of the engine at 3000-4000 RPM. This is NOT related to Oil pressure. Engines generate a certain amount of pressure from naturally imperfect cylinder sealing, and crank rotation. That's why engines require venting. I use a vacuum/pressure gauge placed on the oil filler tube. There is usually a cone-shaped rubber adapter that accompanies your compression gauge that provides a good seal. Hold the gauge tightly on the tube, while someone throttles the engine. The big block experts can suggest a maximum allowable pressure, but I would say the pressure will be zero if your venting system is adequate. Remember that flow is no greater than the smallest orifice within your vent system. You can have 3/4" tubing, but restricted flow due to the internal diameter of the fittings. Again, experienced big block guy's may be rolling their eyes over this reply, because there is a common problem associated with 427's that I am not aware of. Many of the big block engines I see have braided or rubber lines from each ventilated valve cover cap routed to a small capture tank mounted on the firewall to insure there is no internal pressure. Don't get whacked out over this suggested cause for your oil leak! Just check to see that your present venting method isn't causing excessive crankcase pressure. These forum threads have to be carefully vetted! Everybody has THE answer!y
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Robert. I'll need to locate a compression gauge, as the unit I have on loan only measures vacuum.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:32 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Typically it is the pipe threads in the remote oil filter adapter casting that leak. I have also seen porous castings. Locktite will fix the thread leak problem better than anything else I have tried.
KevinW likes this.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Robert. I'll need to locate a compression gauge, as the unit I have on loan only measures vacuum.
You don't need a compression gauge to measure any form of crankcase pressure.

If the venting system is inadequate, pressure will only rise to a point where the lip seals on crankshaft etc will allow pressure release.

I have two low pressure gauges, one reads to 12 in. Hg, 160 in. water (vacuum), the other reads to 1 inch Hg, 13 inches water (pressure).

Anybody running a big engine with 3/8 vent hoses should be increasing the largest hose to 3/4 or even 1 inch. Large hoses flow more air in total, but slower at any point which helps keeps the oil in the engine.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 04-29-2019 at 05:42 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: