Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eschaider

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fiberfab Classic Motor Cars, 428
Not Ranked     
Default Need help identifying heads

Hello all,
I have had these for 30+ years. Got them with the claim that they were 428cj heads.
I am going to build a 428 for my Cobra project and would like to hit the 500+ mark.
Wondering if these heads will help hit the mark or if I should keep saving up for some aluminum heads.
Also would like to know if these truly are CJ heads.

Can't seem to get the casting # photo to upload.
Casting # by spark plug hole - C6AEU
#between valve springs - 6E23
Letters by bolt/spark plug hole - DIF with another "D" near the edge of the head at an angle below the "DIF".

Thanks for your knowledge.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2019, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Even if they are original 428 CJ heads they are 50+ years old and represent 50+ year old head design and flow technology, not to mention they are cast iron. Find someone that needs them for an original restoration, take the monies you get and buy a set of Bear Block Motors heads.

The BBM heads have stunning flow characteristics for an as cast head right out of the box and also use modern combustion chamber designs for better flame travel and combustion. Here is a link to their website => http://bearblockmotors.com/bbm-ford-fe-cylinder-heads/

Ed
olddog likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ed.
Just trying to help my budget stretch and wondered if these would hit my hp goals or hinder them.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I did some internet searches on the C6AEU heads. Any idiot can type anything on the net, so take this with a grain of salt.

Most sources say it is a 390 GT head.
Some said emissions head.
Some said it was used on everything from 352 to 428 standard - not a cobra jet.

The most credible sounding source I read said it was a 390 GT head used in the smaller chassis cars, like Mustangs. The 16 or so holes in the exhaust ports was used to allow different manifold designs, so they could be installed with the extreamely tight shock towers.

Not one source said they are 428 CJ heads. From what I read long ago, I would agree that they are not. They are likely OK heads for someone wanting a stock looking engine.

As for could you get to 500 Hp with those heads, with serious port work, yes. With mild port work and a radical cam, yes, but I don't think you would like its manors.

Frankly I would be more concerned about cracks and valve seats that cannot handle unleaded gasoline. Then I would be concerned about some of the ills of 1960's heads. Hot spots and engine run on. Pinging from poor combustion chamber design. I would definitely have an expert builder look them over and advise me, before using them.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those are generic 66 model year FE heads. The only difference is that those got the diagonal exhaust bolt pattern for use in the unibody cars. That would be the Fairlane and Comet only for 1966. For 1967, when the Mustang got the big block option and the Cougar was added, they all used the C7AE-A heads. For 1968 they all got the C8AE-H except for newly added 428CJ which got the C8OE-N heads.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you like to fish and have a boat with 50' of extra nylon line you could... J/K. As mentioned, the heads are nothing special run of the mill FE heads. You'd have to spend a ton to get them to support 500hp (porting, guides, valves etc). You do much better just buying a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads (or others) and call it a day.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
If you like to fish and have a boat with 50' of extra nylon line you could... J/K. As mentioned, the heads are nothing special run of the mill FE heads. You'd have to spend a ton to get them to support 500hp (porting, guides, valves etc). You do much better just buying a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads (or others) and call it a day.
I was faced with a similar circumstance to use modified cast iron heads
or go the more expensive route of ported/polished Edelbrock aluminum heads.
Went with Edelbrock and never looked back. Way better flow/power.
Also dropped 60 lbs. off the frontend (Ford Racing A460).

Buy once cry once.

Last edited by Unique427; 04-27-2019 at 06:05 AM..
Old 04-27-2019, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Look at this article, scroll to the bottom and find the last picture shown. It is a 500 Hp budget recipe. 390 block stroked to 445 cid. Although, I would not go with solid roller lifters. Make sure the block supports hydraulic lifters and go with hydraulic rollers. The whole article is a good read.

https://www.diyford.com/ford-fe-engi...plete-history/

PS
I think a better head and less aggressive cam would make a better engine. Talk with builders on this site.

PPS
If you already have a 428 block, the same stroker crank would get you in the 460 -470 cid range (too lazy to calculate it). It would also allow an internal balanced engine. If you do not have a 428 block, 390 blocks are much more common and less expensive.

Last edited by olddog; 04-27-2019 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: PPS
Old 04-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have an original 1969 Ford Cobra that was built to get them certified for NASCAR and it has the "R" code engine in it. The bottom end is all LeMans rods and stuff and the heads are 427 Medium Riser heads. That is what they used on them from the factory. The "Q" code 428 Cobra Engine doesn't put out as much power stock as the "R" code and it doesn't have the better bottom end. I had mine dynoed and though it is rated at 335 horse, from the factory it put out 440 horse. That is with stock exhausts and everything hooked up. So it is easy to get 500 horse out of one of those engines.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-27-2019, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the info fellas. Sounds like I be better off saving my pennies and going the aluminum route.
Thankful for all your input.