Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Prestige Motorsports? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/145185-prestige-motorsports.html)

Rig Man 09-13-2021 04:22 PM

Prestige Motorsports?

Hi Folks,

After one year on the ERA wait list Peter has just started on my 427 chassis No 844. I am now Shopping for an engine, but the supply chain issues are creating a back log such that many of the usual engine builders have declined or been non responsive. Does anybody have experience of Prestige Motorsports for an FE turnkey build?

cycleguy55 09-14-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig Man (Post 1497030)
Hi Folks,

After one year on the ERA wait list Peter has just started on my 427 chassis No 844. I am now Shopping for an engine, but the supply chain issues are creating a back log such that many of the usual engine builders have declined or been non responsive. Does anybody have experience of Prestige Motorsports for an FE turnkey build?

I understand there are supply chain issues and shortages. Those would affect all engine builders, so if one is promising something that others won't I'd be asking 'why'. Is that because they have access to components others can't source (low probability), or is it because they're being less than honest in order to get you to put down a deposit?

Have you spoken to Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsports? He's 'blykins' on this forum and contributes quite often. Has lots of fans / supporters and has a very good reputation from what I've seen.

patrickt 09-14-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig Man (Post 1497030)
Hi Folks,

If the major engine builders from this site tell you they can't build you an FE for xxx number of months then believe them. Keep in mind though that all FEs look the same when they're in an ERA. That means a well built stroked and bored 390 is in many ways just as good, and sometimes better, than an original 428, like mine (which is stroked and bored to 447 cubes), or an OEM side oiler. If you've ever looked at an FE in an ERA you can't see the side of the block without an inspection mirror anyway. Blykins will build you a stroked and bored 390, assuming that he can get the parts, that will outperform the spec's on any of the original side oilers, by a long shot. So, keep that in mind. :cool:

ERA 626 09-14-2021 12:40 PM

Shelby Engine CO has motors in stock or can build to your specs. I personally Know Bill Denbeste and his Builder joe. They do 90% of all IN HOUSE. The motors are amazing... and he is a sponsor to this site... I highly recommend.

blykins 09-14-2021 12:42 PM

I wish I could help, but I'm reluctant to take orders right now. Parts availability has been pretty much stupid. Took me 4 months to get pistons, months to get lifters, heads out of stock because Edelbrock moved, etc.

I took a bunch of orders through the summer because I expected parts to get to me soon, and now I'm here working through an enormous backlog.

I've built 4 FE's in the past 6 weeks, dyno'ing 2 this week, then on to a SBF next week.

Rig Man 09-14-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1497066)
Shelby Engine CO has motors in stock or can build to your specs. I personally Know Bill Denbeste and his Builder joe. They do 90% of all IN HOUSE. The motors are amazing... and he is a sponsor to this site... I highly recommend.

Thanks Mike. I must admit that I have never seriously considered an aluminium block, as there seem to be some concerns for reliability and of course their additional cost. I did notice on the company in questions’ associated YouTube videos that they had a Shelby FE block in stock and that the shop manager was “constantly amazed at how many engines they produced with them”. So perhaps I’ll follow your advice and enquire - the thought of a Shelby Engine in an ERA does have some appeal!

Richard.

Rig Man 09-14-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1497067)
I wish I could help, but I'm reluctant to take orders right now. Parts availability has been pretty much stupid. Took me 4 months to get pistons, months to get lifters, heads out of stock because Edelbrock moved, etc.

I took a bunch of orders through the summer because I expected parts to get to me soon, and now I'm here working through an enormous backlog.

I've built 4 FE's in the past 6 weeks, dyno'ing 2 this week, then on to a SBF next week.

No problem Brent, maybe next time!

Richard.

blykins 09-15-2021 01:52 AM

I think Shelby was the only one that had aftermarket blocks for a long time. BBM and Pond were out for months, and Shelby had blocks in stock. They don’t make cast iron blocks, so their $7500 aluminum block was the only choice.

patrickt 09-15-2021 05:10 AM

Surely iron 390 blocks are still plentiful.%/

blykins 09-15-2021 05:42 AM

They are. And even a stock stroke 390 with TFS heads on pump gas and a little jazzy cam will make 525-540 hp.

Rig Man 09-15-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1497085)
They are. And even a stock stroke 390 with TFS heads on pump gas and a little jazzy cam will make 525-540 hp.

So now for a hypothetical question. Is a cobra containing an Aluminium Shelby engine, putting out the same house as a 390 worth the $20k extra that it will cost to put it in the engine bay?:confused:

patrickt 09-15-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig Man (Post 1497103)
So now for a hypothetical question. Is a cobra containing an Aluminium Shelby engine, putting out the same house as a 390 worth the $20k extra that it will cost to put it in the engine bay?:confused:

Only if someone else is paying for it.:cool:

eschaider 09-15-2021 05:23 PM

I prefer a depleted uranium block. They add substantial normal force to the front tires and provide for a very memorable spirited driving experience compared to lighter cylinder block alternatives.

An extra added attraction, available at no extra cost, is the pale blue glow the engine block adds to the ground immendiately below the nose of the car. This is extraordinarily helpful after leaving various establishments serving vision impairing beverages. The light blue glow provides proof positive as to where your vehicle is parked even in dark garages! :JEKYLHYDE

Ed

blykins 09-16-2021 03:33 AM

Quote:

JMO, but if I were buying an ERA, I would want the engine to be as period correct as possible. I think a medium riser 427 would up the resale value.

However, lots of guys like shiny things, and form over function, so that's where the all-aluminum engines come in.

twobjshelbys 09-16-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

It's a supply/enjoyment issue. With today's supply chain limitations it comes more down to "is spending 20K extra to get an engine now worth the time driving a car between now and 9 months from now".

Rig Man 03-03-2022 05:09 PM

Well, just a quick update from me, after chasing around looking for a block and a builder I ended up with a bbm block which should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks. Blair Patrick will build the engine. He doesn’t seem to have a strong following on this forum but comes well recommended and was great talking to, very nice guy.

PDUB 03-04-2022 10:10 PM

Well...

he won the Engine Masters competition a couple of years ago, though he would have been beaten by a little Ford 289 motor if they hadn't had a bad spark plug! Looks like he does pretty well by the FE stuff.

CJ428CJ 03-07-2022 03:52 PM

Blair Patrick is very well known and respected in the FE world. I'm sure you'll be very happy with him and his work.

Rig Man 03-26-2023 01:46 PM

Engine finally finished

2 Attachment(s)
Well, by way of an update and a year on, finally the engine was completed, tested and dispatched to Peter at ERA. Many thanks to Blair for his good work… The Dyno results below should be more than sufficient for chassis #844!
Attachment 38686

Attachment 38687

Alfa02 03-26-2023 01:57 PM

Congrats Rig Man, That should move you're new ERA down the road just Dandy, tire smoke though the first 3gears (easy-peasy). The wait will be worth it, first time you fire it up :) Cheers Tom.