Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2021, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C #844 Ford FE 482 cu/in
Not Ranked     
Default Prestige Motorsports?

Hi Folks,

After one year on the ERA wait list Peter has just started on my 427 chassis No 844. I am now Shopping for an engine, but the supply chain issues are creating a back log such that many of the usual engine builders have declined or been non responsive. Does anybody have experience of Prestige Motorsports for an FE turnkey build?
Old 09-14-2021, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Man View Post
Hi Folks,

After one year on the ERA wait list Peter has just started on my 427 chassis No 844. I am now Shopping for an engine, but the supply chain issues are creating a back log such that many of the usual engine builders have declined or been non responsive. Does anybody have experience of Prestige Motorsports for an FE turnkey build?
I understand there are supply chain issues and shortages. Those would affect all engine builders, so if one is promising something that others won't I'd be asking 'why'. Is that because they have access to components others can't source (low probability), or is it because they're being less than honest in order to get you to put down a deposit?

Have you spoken to Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsports? He's 'blykins' on this forum and contributes quite often. Has lots of fans / supporters and has a very good reputation from what I've seen.
Blue66 and eschaider like this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-14-2021 at 10:41 AM..
Old 09-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Folks,

If the major engine builders from this site tell you they can't build you an FE for xxx number of months then believe them. Keep in mind though that all FEs look the same when they're in an ERA. That means a well built stroked and bored 390 is in many ways just as good, and sometimes better, than an original 428, like mine (which is stroked and bored to 447 cubes), or an OEM side oiler. If you've ever looked at an FE in an ERA you can't see the side of the block without an inspection mirror anyway. Blykins will build you a stroked and bored 390, assuming that he can get the parts, that will outperform the spec's on any of the original side oilers, by a long shot. So, keep that in mind.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Shelby Engine CO has motors in stock or can build to your specs. I personally Know Bill Denbeste and his Builder joe. They do 90% of all IN HOUSE. The motors are amazing... and he is a sponsor to this site... I highly recommend.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I wish I could help, but I'm reluctant to take orders right now. Parts availability has been pretty much stupid. Took me 4 months to get pistons, months to get lifters, heads out of stock because Edelbrock moved, etc.

I took a bunch of orders through the summer because I expected parts to get to me soon, and now I'm here working through an enormous backlog.

I've built 4 FE's in the past 6 weeks, dyno'ing 2 this week, then on to a SBF next week.
twobjshelbys likes this.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
Shelby Engine CO has motors in stock or can build to your specs. I personally Know Bill Denbeste and his Builder joe. They do 90% of all IN HOUSE. The motors are amazing... and he is a sponsor to this site... I highly recommend.
Thanks Mike. I must admit that I have never seriously considered an aluminium block, as there seem to be some concerns for reliability and of course their additional cost. I did notice on the company in questions’ associated YouTube videos that they had a Shelby FE block in stock and that the shop manager was “constantly amazed at how many engines they produced with them”. So perhaps I’ll follow your advice and enquire - the thought of a Shelby Engine in an ERA does have some appeal!

Richard.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I wish I could help, but I'm reluctant to take orders right now. Parts availability has been pretty much stupid. Took me 4 months to get pistons, months to get lifters, heads out of stock because Edelbrock moved, etc.

I took a bunch of orders through the summer because I expected parts to get to me soon, and now I'm here working through an enormous backlog.

I've built 4 FE's in the past 6 weeks, dyno'ing 2 this week, then on to a SBF next week.
No problem Brent, maybe next time!

Richard.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think Shelby was the only one that had aftermarket blocks for a long time. BBM and Pond were out for months, and Shelby had blocks in stock. They don’t make cast iron blocks, so their $7500 aluminum block was the only choice.

Last edited by blykins; 09-15-2021 at 02:43 AM..
Old 09-15-2021, 05:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Surely iron 390 blocks are still plentiful.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are. And even a stock stroke 390 with TFS heads on pump gas and a little jazzy cam will make 525-540 hp.
Blue66 likes this.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
They are. And even a stock stroke 390 with TFS heads on pump gas and a little jazzy cam will make 525-540 hp.
So now for a hypothetical question. Is a cobra containing an Aluminium Shelby engine, putting out the same house as a 390 worth the $20k extra that it will cost to put it in the engine bay?
Old 09-15-2021, 04:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So now for a hypothetical question. Is a cobra containing an Aluminium Shelby engine, putting out the same house as a 390 worth the $20k extra that it will cost to put it in the engine bay?
Only if someone else is paying for it.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I prefer a depleted uranium block. They add substantial normal force to the front tires and provide for a very memorable spirited driving experience compared to lighter cylinder block alternatives.

An extra added attraction, available at no extra cost, is the pale blue glow the engine block adds to the ground immendiately below the nose of the car. This is extraordinarily helpful after leaving various establishments serving vision impairing beverages. The light blue glow provides proof positive as to where your vehicle is parked even in dark garages!

Ed
1795, Alfa02 and ACHiPo like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 03-04-2022 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 09-16-2021, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
JMO, but if I were buying an ERA, I would want the engine to be as period correct as possible. I think a medium riser 427 would up the resale value.

However, lots of guys like shiny things, and form over function, so that's where the all-aluminum engines come in.
rads42 and eschaider like this.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's a supply/enjoyment issue. With today's supply chain limitations it comes more down to "is spending 20K extra to get an engine now worth the time driving a car between now and 9 months from now".
Old 03-03-2022, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, just a quick update from me, after chasing around looking for a block and a builder I ended up with a bbm block which should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks. Blair Patrick will build the engine. He doesn’t seem to have a strong following on this forum but comes well recommended and was great talking to, very nice guy.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Well...

he won the Engine Masters competition a couple of years ago, though he would have been beaten by a little Ford 289 motor if they hadn't had a bad spark plug! Looks like he does pretty well by the FE stuff.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 03-07-2022, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Blair Patrick is very well known and respected in the FE world. I'm sure you'll be very happy with him and his work.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine finally finished

Well, by way of an update and a year on, finally the engine was completed, tested and dispatched to Peter at ERA. Many thanks to Blair for his good work… The Dyno results below should be more than sufficient for chassis #844!
Name:  5935AFA2-1049-4061-A427-CEFBCAD284EC.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  BA1E185B-D4EF-4D38-81C9-5A603061E7C3.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  94.1 KB
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:57 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Congrats Rig Man, That should move you're new ERA down the road just Dandy, tire smoke though the first 3gears (easy-peasy). The wait will be worth it, first time you fire it up Cheers Tom.
eschaider likes this.