Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2022, 03:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGP69stang View Post
How are engine temperatures in a hot climate like south Florida with the push / pull fan arrangements plus oil cooler
Even with the heavy duty aluminum radiators, say, this time of year, in Palm County on the east coast, or Collier County on the west coast,both with temps in the mid 80's to low 90's this time of the year and humidity levels in the 60-80% range, I'd suspect engine temps of 190-200 degrees, with engine oil temps in the 185-210 degree range. Of course this will all depend on how radical your engine build is, how high your compression, and how radical your cam, among other minor nuances. Puller fans are what works, the pusher fans you see in the grill are mainly for show and you'll get a better cooling advantage with a 50/50 coolant and a water wetter type additive than you will the pusher fans.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-01-2022, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok that is useful
Old 06-01-2022, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

You could go with a Robert Pond iron (they also have aluminum) 427 side oiler block.
After a long and extensive search for an original 427 side oiler block, I settled for an original cast iron 427 center oiler that my engine builder found for me, only to find a crack between the cylinders of the sleeved (which I really didn't want a sleeved) block.
The Pond block was recommended by my engine builder so I went with that.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Leaning towards a new cast iron $4-5k 427 block, 482ci, TFS, Weber's, 475hp
Old 06-02-2022, 07:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGP69stang View Post
Leaning towards a new cast iron $4-5k 427 block, 482ci, TFS, Weber's, 475hp
Good plan. BUT... there was some apparent difficulty in sourcing them last I read, just like baby formula, so let us know what they say when you ring them up.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I remembered this post from several years ago. I tracked it down and ripped a pic of it. I thought you might find it illuminating.

sd427 likes this.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow.. so Pond aluminum block with TFS heads and Weber's with a TKX ..475hp at the crank maybe 400hp at the wheels
Old 06-03-2022, 09:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any FE build from one of our well-known builders is going to beat the numbers of the original Cobra and will break the tires loose when you give it two inches or more of throttle. Yes, they are that fast, that powerful, and that dangerous. i can take you for a ride that will absolutely scare the crap out of you and never even open the secondaries on my four barrel carb -- just running it on two barrels alone. Speaking broadly, with just 400 horsepower at the flywheel you can not hit wide open throttle on the street safely for more than a half second. Maybe if you're out in Nowheresville, Arizona or maybe Alligator Alley, but if you really want to stretch out that 400+ horses you need to hit the track.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Give Alan and Maurice at Unique a call. They usually know someone in the family who has one for sale.