Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobcowan

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2022, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lowering Compression Ratio

I have a nice solid built 427 with 12.5 comp, it runs great but the diet of 110 octane is getting old and expensive while also limiting my range. I don't want to tear it appart to change the pistons are there any aftermarket cyl heads that have a larger chamber, the ones I have on it now are steel low riser's.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I am not a "know all" but alloy heads are more forgiving when it comes to compression so you be looking at upper end change then all set.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know knocking it down 2 points comp is inrealistic, My thinking is between going to alum heads and with a bigger chamber lowering comp and maybe a thicker head gasket I could run it on half race half pump.

Last edited by kanuck; 07-12-2022 at 08:35 AM..
Old 07-12-2022, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

double post
Old 07-12-2022, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Robert Pond has some that are 10cc larger than stock that in itself should be good for close too 2 points drop in comp ratio which is exactly where I wanted to be as far as that is concerned.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck View Post
I have a nice solid built 427 with 12.5 comp, it runs great but the diet of 110 octane is getting old and expensive while also limiting my range. I don't want to tear it appart to change the pistons are there any aftermarket cyl heads that have a larger chamber, the ones I have on it now are steel low riser's.
What are your current head cc.s...and bore.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck View Post
Robert Pond has some that are 10cc larger than stock that in itself should be good for close too 2 points drop in comp ratio which is exactly where I wanted to be as far as that is concerned.
No Sir. Increasing the head ccs will decrease your C/R by about a point.

If you're currently at 10.5:1 you'd drop to 9.57 with a 10cc increase.

I'm happy to help, but that requires more information.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

There are any number of c/r calculators out on the web that can save you the effort of building a spreadsheet. Here is one from Summit, click here => Compression Ratio Calculator.

If you plug in your engine bore and stroke you can back into cylinder head and dome cc figures to get to a final combustion chamber volume. I think you will find a final combustion chamber volume (TDC Dome in Chamber volume ) of 10.2 cc will very closely approximate a 12.5:1 compression ratio for 427 cubic inches.

If you increase the chamber volume by 10.2 cc's the compression will drop to 11.13:1. I think this might be a stretch. Using twice as thick a head gasket would get you to about 10.7:1 which is still pretty zippy for pump gas with the chamber designs Ford used back then.

The BBM heads have a modern heart shaped chamber shape and I believe they were 75cc in size, if I remember correctly. These would likely not fit your pistons which means you would still need to pull the engine down to buy new pistons. The other challenge is, I believe BBM is out of stock on the as cast heads but might still have some ported heads left — supply chain woes.

In the end you might just be further ahead buy biting the bullet and replacing your current pistons and leaving the heads alone — although the BBM head is a very nice head.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's a 427 that has been bored .17 thou over the pistons were 12.5 to 1 with low riser heads which are 74cc give or take. That is what I said in my post I want to lower the comp ratio and installing heads with 10 to 15 cc bigger chambers will do that. "He has a few sets that are almost 90cc" combined with going from iron to alum I am sure I will be close to where I want to be if not spot on.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cometic makes numerous thickness FE 427 gaskets, some as much as .120 compressed thickness. That one's BIG $$. That should get you well into the lower 10 to 1 range.

https://www.cometic.com/applications...7--427ci70l-v8
Old 07-13-2022, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks fo the link.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Speak to your engine builder about maximum piston to deck height (quench area).

If it becomes too big, i.e. by using a thicker gasket, you may experience exactly what you try to avoid: uncontrolled pre-ignition/detonation.

Also, your cam may be perfecly matched to your CR and you lose quite some torque and power by dropping CR. This is a lesser problem.

I feel that recurving the timing is in order once done.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Never use the head gasket to increase chamber volume. That also increases quench, which tends to increase detonation and decrease efficiency. Use the head gasket to set the quench area as small as possible, regardless of your SCR and DCR.

DCR is more important than SCR. Be sure to calculate that. You might be able to improve DCR by changing the cam.

But, I think making a high compression iron motor survive on pump gas is going to be really difficult. Unless you live at 10,000'ASL.

If it were my car (and it's not) I would pull the motor down, replace cam, pistons, and heads to match what I wanted it to do. I have had a car with 12:1 compression and a huge cam; and that's what I did.
twobjshelbys likes this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 07-13-2022, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Just get in touch with Brent Lykins on this forum
Old 07-13-2022, 01:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default water/alcohol injection

Hi,
I ran a snow performance water/alcohol mix injected into motor to control detonation on my turbo mustang.
Perry
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Possi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.