Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2002, 08:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Talking Calling all experts, poobahs and anal purists...

OK, although it was 60 degrees here today, it is still offically "hot-stove racing" season.

My project for the month is to spec out a 427 S/O engine with as much originality and authenticity as possible. Internal compromises are acceptable, deferring to more modern (..read, reliable ) technology.

The end result will be a complete parts list (shopping list) for the spring/summer "buying" season.

I need the collective effort of the resident intelligensia.

Block? Casting numbers?
Heads? Castings numbers?
Intake? (2x4) Casting numbers?
Carbs? Tag numbers? CFM?
Ignition stuff? Cam/lifters? Brackets and B/S? Bits and pieces?
...on & on & on.

Anyone who has built an engine with an eye towards originality, please add to the thread with comments.

Thanks to all who contribute
Old 02-23-2002, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Ron,my S-O was built with a Valasco crank,Cunningham rods,Arias Pistons,Solid cam,Rockers,Shafts&related gear by Ford Power Parts,Canton RR pan,Edlebrock heads(painted),Performer RPM(all #s/letters removed)then powder-coated aluminum grey.Edlebrock H2O pump painted to match block.MSD ignition.Box&coil mounted under dash.

Carb is a Holley 850-1 3/4 bores(modified),annular discharge with 4 corner idle circuits.1-inch open phenolic spacer is underneath.Fed by a Holley blue.

The alt.bracket is a modified 70 GTO bracket.March pullies were used
Old 02-23-2002, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Talking Ummm,

I KNOW the MSD is not original, (but they ARE great) and although I am not sure, I am almost so, that the Canton race pan and Edelbrock heads, etc... are not either

I love the original type replicas actually, so forgive me for going with an all custom non original (bur REAL ) West Coast cobra for my first snake. Maybe I will build or buy a 289 FIA in some future time, that would be original as I could get and still have some hidden modern features. No expert on the 427 SO or the 289 motors, am I, so I will shut up now
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 02-23-2002, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking No help here

I'm not an engine expert, but I am the Grand Poobah!

Great Asp

I do wish you good luck though
Old 02-23-2002, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Orginal ironheads,waterpump are nothing but ballast that you don't need.The MSD uses a GM "window" cap.Period correct but not Ford correct.Dual quads are for the "WOW" crowd.

90% of the people who will be looking under your hood won't have a clue.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I went with a 66 427So to match my year car, I opted for the dual quads (new Holley 650's) . My intake is a Dove tunnel port , Arias pistons , Lunati factory grind cam(very close), solid lifters, factory cast heads, lemans rods, Aviaid factory oil pan, edelbrock water pump (painted and name ground off), MSD distributor and box, Taylor wires, Factory small chrome air cleaners , Chrome factory valve covers. High volume oil pump , Harlan Sharp rockers. As far as the casting numbers and your parts are concerned try George Anderson(Gessford Machine) , he is very nice , knowledgeable and priced inline. My complete setup set me back 9k+ (dont tell the wife) Olaf
Old 02-23-2002, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Olaf You are looking for too many numbers for your prefect motor you would be better with eagle rods, lighter and stronger. Use arp bolts and fasteners for the motor. Leman rods are good but need prep work and better bolts. I have a brand new set in the box and I went with the Eagles. There is 2 books with all the info you need, HI-PER PARTS vol69 msd6 copyright 1968 Ford Parts Identifier 65/68 performance edition. I got both at the Ford show at Carlisle P.A. in june 1995 Both books have everything and the numbers match on parts. Last year at carlisle one guy had a shelby dry sump with pump orginial. He wanted 1500.00 $ for the system. Go to this show and call FPP in Cali. for your other needs 562-921-5300. Good luck Rick Lake
Old 02-23-2002, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Better living through progress.. original motors were not built with an eye toward being "the best " nor the most durable or exotic.. They were the best motor to fit the car for the dollars in the budget, in this case $800.

Why would you limit yourself to 1960's technology. I (for me) feel like If I were going to build an ORIGINAL 427 SO out of NOS (new old stock) parts I would never be able to fire it.. (I wouldn't be able to afford the gas)

Look, if you are serious good luck and god bless you for supporting the economy. I would take the same 15k and build a 650 hp 427 SO with modern parts, MSD et, al and go first class to Hawaii on the money left over.. I think that might make your wife be ok with you being so obsessive.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 02-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOBRAC
...I would take the same 15k and build a 650 hp 427 SO with modern parts...
Michael, ...and what would be those 'modern parts'?
...$AI block?
..or, what? Gimme some ideas.

Quote:
....... and go first class to Hawaii on the money left over
I think the mileage points on the credit cards buying these parts will get me there anyhow!