Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-14-2002, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Those who may think I was a little too harsh on Jebthro with 19 posts to his name who resides at VA/DE/MD and owns a Real 289, should do a search on him using his user name and probably will understand why I was not nice to him.

He is like that Satellite Installer in that TV commercial where the little girl yells '
"You are a bad Man".

TURK
The Cable Guy
Old 03-14-2002, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seemed like the appropriate response.

Bill
Old 03-15-2002, 06:40 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

TURK - you need to sell all those parts to me & bid on this item!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...135285&r=0&t=0
Old 03-15-2002, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

R U YELLA

You have NOOOO idea how close I came to doing something that crazy a couple of months ago.

I talked to Peter at ERA, he didn't exactly encourage it, but as soon as he told me they HAVE done it before, that is all the green light I needed.

I was very busy trying to buy one that showed up on the East Coast. Dealing with a third party who was NOT the owner of the motor and me wanting to have it checked out before I would commit to it, as well as what they wanted for it, put an end to that madness. It probably was a good thing that it didn't happen.

I have my hands full with the TP engine, and that is not going to require any body or frame modifications. The other one would have.

I still would like to have one of those one day. It is like owning and driving a part of history.

TURK

Last edited by Turk; 03-15-2002 at 09:28 AM..
Old 03-15-2002, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk,
You might to talk to Thomas Kirkham about the tunnelport engine. I built the tunnelport that was in 3104 for a long time and he knows the specs on it. But don't tell him I sent you.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:39 AM
I'm a bonehead!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you didn't know, seller rpm427 on ebay is Ron Miller from FPP down in Norwalk, CA. I think this engine has been for sale before. Wonder what the reserve is?

AND, I notice, the block is filled but he's suggesting placing it in street cars.

Last edited by Toivo; 03-15-2002 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-23-2002, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a friend who owns an ERA car. He'd like your e-mail address. Pass it along to me if you will and I'll connect the two of you.

Thanks,

David Brown

pegdave@erols.com
Old 03-23-2002, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David Brown
You are welcome to give him my email address.

ate@jccomp.com
or
ate@chevs.com

TURK
Old 03-27-2002, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to hdheritage97
Not Ranked     
Default Turk

F**k what everyone else thinks, it's your car and it should be what you think it should be. I have a TP in my car and it's pretty awesome. Yeah, it has it's troubles, kinda hard to get it up my driveway but it's well worth it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I bought a Cobra because I wanted a fast car, not a car to drive around at 20mph and whine about it's low end performance. I recently had the car up at Cobra Automotive to have the carb changed and the car tuned, as well as a bunch of other work. While it was there, they had a Twin Turbo Kirkam there, you probably saw it recently on E-bay. Anyhow, when I showed up to get the car, they told me they had a time getting it jetted correctly, they changed jets like 4 times, but once they did, it really came to life. They told me that in their opinion, it was just as much the animal as that Kirkam. I of course can't confirm that, I didn't drive both cars, but they aren't the types to throw around BS. I'm running a single 4, a 750 Holley DP, solid lifters, Unilite, and 10:5 to 1 compression. My cam specs are 280-290 Duration, 579 Intake and 605 Exhaust. It idles around 1000 rpms but it sounds so awesome...lol. The heads are bone stock, no porting work. I run it on pump gas and it fits perfectly under my hood with a Turkey Pan on. I too had all the other manifolds for it but I wasn't sure any of the others would clear the hood and the people down at E-M couldn't tell me anything either...not that that's something new. I even had a manifold that was set up for 58mm Webbers OR a Hilborn FI. I had considered having it set up with the system that Imagine Injection sells but I wasn't that into spending 6 grand on my induction so I sold the manifold on E-bay.

I have no idea what kind of HP it's putting out but I can say for sure, the car flat out runs. Right now I have the rear out and I'm changing from 3:89's to 3:50's, I don't like to have my rpm's cranked up there needlessly. I have a guy up the street that's dying to race me as soon as the weather breaks. He has an Olds 442 with a 350 Chevy that's blown. He's claiming 600HP but I'm not too afraid....lol. I'll be sure to let you know how that turns out but as far as the TP goes, I say have at it and enjoy, just hang on tight. if you care to discuss it, you can call me anytime at 845-496-7350. Good luck and I'll be watching this post closely...lol.

Cliff
Old 03-27-2002, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hdheritage97
Thanks a bunch for the encouragement. Not that I neeeded any!
I just wanted to get some input as to which manifold to use more than anything else.
It appears single 4, possibly the 2X4 will fit under the stock ERA hood. I confirmed this with Peter at ERA as well as we measured it.
I took the entire bunch of parts to my engine builder. He has an excellent reputation,he has built a very potent 427SO for a friend's ERA as well. He refuses to build anything beyond 9:1 compression.

We are still sorting through the prelimanary stuff. Nothing etched in stone yet.
Our fuel in California with all the additives, MTB etc. what makes my builder so conservative I believe.

I will take your encouragement to go through with the process. He is going to mag the heads, the block and when it is said and done and the decisions are made, I will have a few manifold and a set of tunnel port heads, and possibly a medium riser heads to sell.

Go ahead and race that Olds 442 and if he cleans your clock, I will have to take a look at your specs and possibly do someting a little more radical so that the same thing won't happen to me.

I will try to stay with the 3:31 rear end. I also don't like the high RPM at highway speeds.

Thanks again.

TURK
Old 10-09-2004, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1954 Ford 427 tunnel port center oiler, 5 speed, 9" 4.3's
Not Ranked     

I have a 63 center oiler 427 tp. Lunati 40510, weisco massaged 12.5 to 1. Holley 830, msd6al, msd billet. I went easy on the cam, and I am glad I used my limited restraint. I have it in a 54 ford sedan, Tko 5-spd, 9" 4.3's. I took it to the local Burger King the other night and a vintage crowd enjoyed the fact that they had never seen one in the flesh. So there ya go instant celebrity. I followed the shim this, block off that in regard to oiling, instruction supplied by S-A design Pat Ganahl. I idle it at 1300 it will idle slower, but the oil pressure is to low. Hot at idle it has about 30 lbs. Above 5000 75lbs. I am working on getting to run a little cooler. Certainly not taking out any timing. Bigger more powerful Fan. This is a really strong motor. I am ready for the Mustang's with the blow boxes.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been running a tunnel prt with 13:1 compression,fast ,loud,just make friends with a race gas distributor.I am running a reworked,850 Holley(930 cfm).I have had success with a 294S Comp Cams grind.It is streetable,make sure you run an MSD to keep it from loading up.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1970 Mach 1 Arntz
Not Ranked     
Default tunnel port 427

hey if it looks cool and you like it why not, it's not like you plan on making a daily commuter ot of this vehicle, I shoul have bought the set of aluminum tunnel ports with manifold when I had the chance
Old 10-13-2004, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Turk,
The adavantage of the Cobras is that they are light, so you can get away with less low end torque. The TP single plane intake will fit under the hood no problem. 9 to 1 compression is a bit low though. FE's love compression more than most motors. It's a bit of a contradiction to run TP heads, and not follow up with compression. Cobras are basically weekend cars, and I try to recommend to my customers that they invest in mixing race gas if they are trying to get a lot of HP out of their motors. If you are dead set against the race gas, then 9.8 to 1 will work with iron heads. A good port job really benefits these heads. The short side and long side radius can be worked for a lot of gains. I would run a 4.125 stroker crank to aid in port velocity. With a 4.280 bore, you would be at 474 ci. Also, how are you going to drive the car. Road race cars benefit from small stroke, higher RPMs, but in town cars like the stroke. Just something to consider.
Good Luck, Tom
FE Specialties Your West coast FE source. We build FEs with todays technology, not circa 1970. We can supply you with any type of engine and drive train parts. From mild to wild. We engineer engines, not just throw parts at them. I currently am campaigning a 67 coupe that has C4AE-G iron heads, full interior, 3300 lbs. 10.51 @ 130.5mph. 665 HP(revised) with 11.6 to 1 comp. single 4 barrel.
Thanks Much. Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: