Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2003, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Here is why in only 3hrs I spun a bearing...

But first I am going to give you all the symptoms and what was checked and NOT checked.

At initial start up the oil pressure came up just as it should but while breaking in the cam the pressure began to fall and fluctuate around 25 lbs. There was some discussion about the oil pump and length of my AN 10 remote oil lines and the size of my oil cooler. So the decision was made to replace the oil pump, pickup and high pressure spring kit. Pressure seemed to stabalize after warm up at 45 lbs. Oil pressure seemed normal and the operating temperature was normal as well.

AS IT TURNED OUT THE PROBLEM WAS that one of us (probably me) put the oil filter adapter GASKET that goes between the block and the filter adapter on backwards. The oil pressure was strong enough to push a hole in the paper gasket to allow some oil to circulate, but it wasn't enough to save the engine. No oil to the rear of the engine means a lot of trouble and cost. I should have the engine back later this week (new 7 & 8 rods and pistons, all new bearings, gaskets, a real good vat, new oil cooler and we chose to only turn the crank to 0.30 rather than replacee it .

Just carelessness and no other excuses. As you may recall we finished the "break in" on the Wednesday before I left for Omaha and then I loaded the car in the trailer for the race on Thursday. I was in too big of a hurry! Another thing, although my machinist has offered to cover the cost I don't intend to let him accept all this responsibility.

True Confessions!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 05-27-2003, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Well that was a painful lesson. At least you figured out what the problem was. Hopefully all the trouble is behind you.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowen Replicar 351C wish it ran :) Anxiously awaiting delivery of my Road Serpent :)
Not Ranked     

I know how you feel. I turned the remote oil filter lines backwards--ONCE!!

Rick
Old 05-27-2003, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Smile

Clois,
Wow. Thanks for letting us know. I learn something here just about every day. I hope you recover your ride soon.
Steven
Old 05-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to keithw
Not Ranked     
Default We all do that kind of thing!

Clois, I hope you have it for Hallett!! You're a big man to own up.

See you in Tulsa in any event.

Keith
Old 05-27-2003, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     
Default I will be there...

It will take about 3 hours to put my engine back in and I plan on some local crusing for a couple of weeks. I am putting my 2X4 setup on it while I have it down. I am sure it will take a while to get the carbs tuned and every thing ironed out before I do any serious racing.

Anyway since I sent this email Kent gave me a call and is convinced he put the gasket on wrong and is insisting on covering the total expense. I really don't know who did it but we agreed to split the cost! I know they tested it in their shop with a stock block oil filter housing and everything was fine. Mistakes happen...or is shi_ happens.

At any rate I plan on being at Hallet next month. My team mates (Lew and David) are not going to make it this year so as they tell me I will be a team of one. Lew was a team of one in Nashville this past weekend and he claims it was a waste of his time and money, very poorly ran and organized. So, even though we won't have the gas powered margarita maker (weedeater powered blender) can I still party at the Texas corner?

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 05-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to keithw
Not Ranked     
Default Clois you will fit right in! Bring it on.

You will have a great time.

Keith
Old 05-27-2003, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 427 Comp Cobra
Not Ranked     

This has been my fear! Is there a diagram on how to route the oil cooler lines available? I know to most it would seem like an easy task to do this correct but, I am not a master mechinic and have often wondered if I have the oil lines correct. My little 302 has a remote oil filter adaptor and then lines that run to the cooler.
I have been chasing a oil pressure problem for a while and have concentrated on the gage. I have replaced the sending unit and have the second VDO pressure gage installed. When the motor was first cranked it registered 55-60 psi. After about 50 miles or so the gage registered zero. I put it on the trailer and returned to the house and started chasing the problem.

Any suggestions??????

Load Clear....
Charleston AFB SC

Load Clear!
Old 05-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey,,,,,your running with the Big Dogs on that mistake.

Non other than the Butcher his self had a similiar problem, not once, but TWICE before he found out. His thing was the adaptor plate itself on backward if I recall correctly. He was getting ZERO oil to the motor.

By the way, WHERE is the good Butcher??? I do miss his intellectually stimulating discussions and his complete truthfullness be it good or bad!

And along those lines I must say:

I SALUTE you Clois!!! The motor you save may be MINE someday! Your motor did not die vain.

Ah,,,,,don't you just feel all warm and fuzzy now. LOL

Ernie
Old 05-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tip "o" the hat ,Clois for tellin it like it is.....any one here who hasnt done something similar has never turned a wrench.

KK
Old 05-27-2003, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I admire your integrity. Good luck on the new one.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Clois, What event in Omaha???

Are you attending the Midstates/Shell Valley event in Hooper? Or is there another cobra event in Omaha??? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something since I live here in Omaha.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sorry "just" a 68 Shelby GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to 68gt500
Not Ranked     

It takes a real man to accept responsabilities - tip my hat too!

If only more people would stand up to their faults instead of blaming s.b. else ...

I´m sure version 2.0 will be much improved !! Happy motoring!
Old 05-28-2003, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Clois - I had been watching your saga and am glad you pinned down the cause.

Sorry it turned out to be such a frustrating error, but you are in good company. Any man who claims never to have made a mistake basically has never, and will never, achieve anything.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I can assure you guys if there is a mistake to be made I have or probably will make it. Fortunately we have this site to express our concerns and to vent our frustrations. The members here have always be a great help to me and I thank you all.

Hawk,
I heard there would be another weekend in August sometime but I am not sure of the dates. The Pacific Junction (Omaha) is a first rate facility, I only wish others tracks were managed and maintained as well as Mid-America .

On the lighter side I must admit that some of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen live in the Omaha area. I brought my 18 year old nephew with me to the event and I thought he was going to break his neck checking out the babes while we were in the downtown entertainment district.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 05-28-2003, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Frustration way to hurt a motor, but it's always nice to at least find the cause, rather than just putting it all back together without a clue why it happened in the first place.

Good luck,
Old 05-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois...Glad you're correcting the motor problem and will be back at it shortly...
if you get another date for Mid Am (MAM) let me know...perhaps I'll come up too...that Place was great....we went the next Sunday (Following weekend) and ran our Mustang and watched the Vipers...I'll link ya to a few pictures...
George

http://www.gessford.com/work/images/DSCN2712.JPG

http://www.gessford.com/work/images/DSCN2694.JPG

http://www.gessford.com/work/images/DSCN2714.JPG

http://www.gessford.com/work/images/DSCN2718.JPG
Old 05-29-2003, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another date

George,

The Northwoods Cobra Club indicated that weekend that they were scheduling another weekend later in the summer. I will ask Lew Payne to keep us both posted on any additional dates.

By the way thanks again for your help that weekend in the pits. Also, I sure do l like your Mustang as well as your pictures. Hope to see you and everyone else soon.

Clois

"Let's roll"