Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2003, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Genesis S/O on ebay

Well finally, I've actually seen one. For the price it's still a toss up between them and CS's aluminum?.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Give us the link Perry!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33613
Old 06-19-2003, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Quote from the seller:
.........By using these blocks with a 4.310 bore and a 4.250 stroke you can build a 496 cubic inch FE.

(damn if that's not badass!)
Old 06-19-2003, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone know what kind of machine work one of these blocks needs to be usable? I can't see spending an aditional $650.00 on top of the purchase price to make this block buildable!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I'm sure their good, also expensive!!.
If you don't know a good machinist in your area, they might be the way to go?.

Old 06-19-2003, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry, the block needs to be check for correct clearances, any oil mods if they haven't already been done ect. ect.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's a guy down in Texas that is making cross-bolted main 427 blocks using after market CNC machined Main Caps and selected Sonically tested 391 truck blocks fitted with screw-in freeze plugs. They are center oiler blocks and will take either solid or hydraulic lifters, and are already "cured". The walls are thicker than stock 427, and they come standard bored and honed for about $2700. Wait that's me.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default same question this year as last year...

OK, so I have the same simple question that I've had for the last year on these Genesis blocks.

Question:
Does "anyone" actually have one of these Genesis blocks installed and "running" in any type of car yet "today"?

If so, how many miles are on it now, and what is the report on the quality, engine temp, performance or dyno results - if anything?

Blocks in machine shops and unfinished cars don't count for an answer... Still have yet to hear from someone with one of these in an actual running car.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm with decooney, let's here some news.

Old 06-20-2003, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

$650? that almost covers the sonic check and measurements.. Add another grand to do the work.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 06-21-2003, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You guys are unbelievable!!. What is it going to take?? These Blocks are so much better than the sideoilers that were supposed to be the Best Engie ever. They are not even in the same league. All you guys wanted this motor, *****ed about it when you had to wait for it, and now that they are here, want to talk about it some more. How about this for: Is someone out there running one?" Try setting the NHRA NATIONAL RECORD in A Stock: 1967 Fairlane with a Genesis Block STd. bore and stroke, going 9.90 in the Qtr. Mile.. His name is Robert Pond. Keith Craft motor and no one is touching him. Yes, these motors are on the street and you crybabies are missing the boat.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

J, typical inter-net tirekickers.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks!

JBAIRD,
no we are not cry babies, and not so unbelieveable. You are the very first person on this board to tell us about someone actually using these blocks in a running car. Race car that is. Still waiting on a street car (unless you know of one?). This is great news, and at least some news... I sent several emails to Genesis with no reply, I even called them a while back. Sure they are busy, but not too busy to comment on a product they are trying to promote. Several on eBay, but no stories about how they run... I would think something this important would have a little more press than a guy in a race car though... hopefully we can hear some more on actual street use, longevity, tangible results that we can all identify with.

mr bruce,
we are certainly not tire kickers. Most of us here have done more, built more, and driven more cars than tire kickers. It's possible that we might be Sh$t kickers though , I am. We've been asking this question for a while... with little or no response on actual use. JBAIRD is the first to comment on it, that I've heard about... Hopefully there will be others with some positive feedback. I'd most ceratainly like to have an option to be able to save my 428SCJ, put it on a stand, and use one of these new aftermarket blocks at some point.

Thanks for the positive and negative feedback. Some feedback is better than none.

Last edited by decooney; 06-21-2003 at 08:50 AM..
Old 06-21-2003, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Are there any differences between an aluminum Genesis block and an aluminum Shelby block?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Quote from Ebay add:
Most of these blocks are made to finish on 4.250 bore and some may have to be finished at a larger bore size because of casting flaws.
I might be interested in one of these blocks, but it appears I'll wait at least until their casting quality gets better. If there are flaws in some cylinders, what about the rest of the block?
J, you're just trying to sell blocks, which is fine, but cut the slamming.

Dan
Old 06-25-2003, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about some close up pictures, both sides, top and bottom, front and back.

Old 06-25-2003, 07:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

The difference between the Genesis and Shelby blocks is night and day....shelby isn't a sideoiler...its a 427 cube block.....the Genesis blocks are cast off the same mold as the Side Oilers so its a true side oiler block.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 06-26-2003, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are there any differences between an aluminum Genesis block and an aluminum Shelby block?

Aluminum Genesis block hasn't been cast yet. Won't be for a while. The Aluminum Genesis piece will look like a sideoiler and have sideoiler oiling pattern; from what I've heard. The Shelby Aluminum block is ONLY available in Aluminum and isn't a sideoiler (important to some). The Genesis block, if painted, could be passed off as a regular 'ol iron sideoiler if you were of the mind to do so. I believe the Shelby block has dual crossbolts standard, whereas the Genesis block would have single crossbolts (though again, from what I've heard, dual crossbolts might become an option).

Biggest difference right now, is you can actually buy an aluminum Shelby block and expect delivery fairly quickly. Can't say the same for the Genesis aluminum block. On the other hand, you can actually buy a Genesis iron sideoiler block (check with Keith Craft) but there are NO Shelby iron blocks available.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#131 520 cubes; 650 HP
Not Ranked     

Saw my first Genesis Iron 427SO block yesterday... Actually 2 of them...
The guy who is going to do my machine work on my FE is probably going to end up doing the final boring/machining on the Genesis motors for Genesis I guess...?
Yes, it IS a REAL side oiler... Looked exactly like a Ford 427SO...
I talked with the machinist in the shop and he said they (Genesis) just about exactly reproduced the motor internally too (shape of cylinder walls, ect..)..
Next question, does anybody have a "factory" price on these bad boys?