Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     
Default 428 PI, CJ, or SCJ block fair market value

What's the current fair market value for a 30+ year old 428 PI, CJ, or SCJ block?

I'm looking for a good block for a Cobra engine build, and have decided on the 428 FE. I figure I'd like to start with a bare block and put in all new crank, cam, pistons, rods...

How much are bare blocks (including main bearing caps) going for? Anybody?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Depending on overbore size $200-500 used. DSC motorsports has NOS service blocks for $800. Spending any more on a used block make sure it's a std bore. Carefull what you buy some like to overbore a 390 to 4.13 and sell it as a 428. Good luck, G.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     

FFR428: What is a NOS Service block?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by DKing

FFR428: What is a NOS Service block?
NOS = New Old Stock; meaning original part from old stock, never used.

Service Block = means part was a replacement block, usually made after the model year. Never was installed as part of a new car.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I just had an e mail reply from DSC last week and the $800 standard bore service block wasn't indicated as being NOS, they also had a standard bore '70 CJ block for $1200.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 428 $$$$

I paid $1200 for my 428 standard bore service block 2 years ago. It was coated in cosmoline and looked NOS, although the taper in the cylinders indicated other, so be carefull you should take a bore gauge and check the taper before you accept it as NOS.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Ok,,maybe some of you guru's know this,,
Until recently I thought the pristine 38k original miles,,still has the exhaust locks and the staples thru the valve cover gaskets motor I have been coveting was a 428,turns out to be a 410,can I bore this thing to get to 4.13 and still be safe ? using the stock crank,10.5 -1,and eldebrock heads,and say a 6500 rpm redline,will it make a decent street motor durabilty wise ? I am thinking it should make 400-425 hp with the right cam and carb/intake choice,any one care to elaborate ?
thanks,Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 10-07-2003, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I'd have the walls checked,but you should be able to 428 it. If the walls are of a good thickness you shouldn't have any reliability problems.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default FOUR TEN

WHAT IS WRONG WITH DRIVING THE 410??
GOOD MOTOR, LOOKS LIKE A 428, CAN BORE LATER!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with you Dwight,,but I am not sure I can bring myself to do it without a tear down for inspection,so i am thinking it would be a good time to redo it,,another idea is to get eldebrock heads,mill them to whatever to get to 10.1,add an intake and carb ,cam and let it roll,,this is just a play motor anyway since I am going to have an extra car,I cant afford another big buck engine. thanks,,Tk

Old 10-08-2003, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Woodz,,,i can mic the bottom of the cylinders when I pull the pan,,what should the nominal thickness be after the over bore ?
Tk

Old 10-09-2003, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Woodz, I was under the impression the DSC blocks were NOS. That would explain the cheap price. I paid $1200 for mine a few years ago from Carls. He sells them for $2250 now!!!! youch!

Misfit, sounds like the 410 is an awsome motor. Careful how much you bore that pup to. If it was me I'd clean it up and rebuild it as is to leave something for the next time. Also check what 390 block you have if you punch it to 4.13. some have thinner walls then others. Do you think this is original 410? Nice and rare if it is. G.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi G
I am 99%,It is still in a car,67 merc parklane breezeway brougham,,WHEWW !!lol,the code could be 410 or 428,which is what I hoped for,but the dist tag says 410,this car had 38k original miles,,valve covers seem to have the original gaskets,they have the silver with staples over the tabs,motor paint and everything is untouched,my only hang up is that the car is so nice,original paint,interior,vinyl top ,and spare,never driven in the rain,NO RUST !,has a scrape on the right side,I know this is dragging on,the point is,I bought this car for a song ,I hate to rape it but I doubt it would bring what the drive train and all the bolts and goodies are worth to me,a few beers and I may hack away.
long sentence huh,,Tk

Old 10-11-2003, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow you don't find too many original cars like that anymore. Sounds like you found a survivor! Really think hard before tearing it up as it would be worth a pretty penny to some of the hardcore merc guys being completely original and all. Although I also would be more than tempted to dig into it also! Good luck, G.