Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2003, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     
Default EFI on an FE

Is anyone on this site using a Very Cool Parts or TWM stack fuel injection system on an FE big block in their Cobra? If so, are you happy with the system? Is there much of a real world performance advantage over a one or two carb system? Was it worth the $$ and hassle? Would you do it again?

Thanks

I'm no expert.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

Lew, I posted that question to the owner of very cool parts but got no reply.If you hear any info please let me know.I assume we would have to rout a return fuel line after changing to a high pressure fuel pump.That should not be too big of a deal but I would like some first hand info if possible. chuck
Old 11-21-2003, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

Lew, I have a Shelby aluminum 496 stroker with TWM thats nearing startup and dyno and will be glad to give you feedback. I just talked to Tom Kirkham (he has the same basic engine with TWM) he said that he liked the TWM setup very much!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

Chuck, You may have to resize your feed line as well as the return, but thats not a big deal. I see that you have a 351. You probably have seen TWM's ad on CC's home page. A guy has a new setup for sale on Cobra Country under Cobras for sale for a 351 for $2,500.00. He reduced the price twice from the original of near 4k. I talked to him briefly, he said it was new and he had opted for other induction that more suited him. He does hill climbs (like Pikes Peak) and races his Cobra
Old 11-21-2003, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

A certain someone's motor I believe with EFI. No not I. SWEET!!.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TC:

That guy must have spent all of his money on the engine and not had any money left over for a paint job.

I'm no expert.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:21 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Lew,
You are a lot closer to the truth than you think.
Shelby block, Shelby heads, Shelby rockers, TWM throttle bodies, FAST EFI, Moldex billet crank (4.3 inch stroke), Carrillo rods, Diamond Pistons, Aviad pan, etc. Engine was built by Kinetic Racing Engines in Detroit. And yes it does run good
Old 11-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Tom, if by chance you should know the photographer, tell them this is a GREAT pic--REALLY IMO. The pallets in the background add interest to the pic . I'd trade paint for a parts list like that anyday!

Last edited by ToyCollector; 11-21-2003 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-22-2003, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TC:

I agree. Great shot. The photo really has wonderful depth of field. It also has some pretty interesting subject matter.

I'm no expert.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Kirkham

.....Shelby block, Shelby heads, Shelby rockers, TWM throttle bodies, FAST EFI, Moldex billet crank (4.3 inch stroke), Carrillo rods, Diamond Pistons, Aviad pan, etc. Engine was built by Kinetic Racing Engines in Detroit. And yes it does run good
Tom,
Can you provide some specifics on the cam profile, how the setup performs on cold start, hot start, throttle tip-in, and part-throttle acceleration? How difficult was it to tune & did you have to use a dyno to dial it in? How or why was Fast EFI selected vs Electromotive or Motec? I have a similar engine configuration as this one, and I'd consider converting to an EFI setup if I could find someone who is unequivocably happy with it and would be willing to share their formula for success. So far the 4 or 5 people I have spoken with (or helped out) have spent countless hours trying to get their EFI to be smooth for street use. It seems as if most can get cold start, idle and WOT to work well, but have never got the "middle" perfectly tuned. Thanks for your response.

BTW, don't paint the car...if mine were aluminum, it wouldn't be wearing paint either.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good question Cobra 75. Is this set-up easy to live with in day to day driving?

I'm no expert.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile EFI

KMP
Old 11-28-2003, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra75

Tom,
Can you provide some specifics on the cam profile, how the setup performs on cold start, hot start, throttle tip-in, and part-throttle acceleration? How difficult was it to tune & did you have to use a dyno to dial it in? How or why was Fast EFI selected vs Electromotive or Motec? I have a similar engine configuration as this one, and I'd consider converting to an EFI setup if I could find someone who is unequivocably happy with it and would be willing to share their formula for success. So far the 4 or 5 people I have spoken with (or helped out) have spent countless hours trying to get their EFI to be smooth for street use. It seems as if most can get cold start, idle and WOT to work well, but have never got the "middle" perfectly tuned. Thanks for your response.
I guess I'm unequivocably happy with it. But mine's Electromotive.
Works great startup, idle, part throttle, decelaration, acceleration, cruise. Of course TEC has a means of using data logged during actual driving to update the tables to get you closer and closer to optimum tune. Don't know squat about FAST. With Electromotive, after everything was wired up, the brand new engine with brand new, never tried injection setup, fired right up with the TEC's base map setup. After that, it was a matter of drive, read, update, drive some more...

Cam is crane hydraulic roller.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sizzler:

Is the Electromotive an individual runner type or a common plenum typye, like the Holley system. I hear that the common plenum type are much easier to live with as you can get readings for the ECU that you cannot get with an IR type of system. Also, with the IR there are more moving parts to synchronize. I am not putting down an IR type of system as I think that they look great and I would like to be able to run one. Just trying to sort through the pros and cons.

I'm no expert.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Sizzler

I guess I'm unequivocably happy with it. But mine's Electromotive.
Works great startup, idle, part throttle, decelaration, acceleration, cruise. Of course TEC has a means of using data logged during actual driving to update the tables to get you closer and closer to optimum tune. Don't know squat about FAST. With Electromotive, after everything was wired up, the brand new engine with brand new, never tried injection setup, fired right up with the TEC's base map setup. After that, it was a matter of drive, read, update, drive some more...
Cam is crane hydraulic roller.
Sizzler,
That sounds great. What engine and induction system do you have? Is it an FE with the TWM induction?
Awhile back, one engine builder I know could never get that setup to work perfectly. It looked great but couldn't get it tuned correctly even with a visit to Electromotive.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra75
Sizzler,
That sounds great. What engine and induction system do you have? Is it an FE with the TWM induction?
Awhile back, one engine builder I know could never get that setup to work perfectly. It looked great but couldn't get it tuned correctly even with a visit to Electromotive.
It's an FE. Dual quad (with two sets of butterflies in each "quad") with separate plenums. I use a chamber connected to each plenum for the MAP sensor and I have the remote TPS just like you'd need with a TWM setup.. It's not 8 IR's, two sets of 4. It does have 16 injectors (2 per port, staged).

To summarize, 4 sets of butterflies (versus 8 with TWM's) all of which need to be set, adjusted and coordinated together, progressive linkage, 16 staged injectors (so not only do I have secondary throttle blades opening, I have tertiary? staged injectors coming on line as well under full throttle). I tuned it myself. It not only runs great, it passes emissions and gets great mileage too.

So, what engine builder couldn't get it tuned. This is a forum to share such information so that we can either support or avoid such builders.

Good thing I didn't hold my breath waiting for a response or for someone to name names...

Last edited by Sizzler; 11-30-2003 at 01:56 PM..