Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Default Engine Pre-Oiler

Hi:
I would like to start a discussion on engine pre-oilers. Examples of these would be the Accusump unit. As I understand these devices, they are used to pre-lubricate the upper valve train and pre-build oil pressure charge befor the engine is started.

Benefits are supposed to be that the valve train and hydraulic lifters are not "dry" prior to engine turn over. Less wear. Possible safety net if engine oil pump dies.

So that is about all I know about them....

It appears that a somewhat large reservoir is plumbed into the oil line via an oil adapter.

To those of you who are running one of these pre-oilers, I would much enjoy your input, installation suggestions and overall assessment of the unit from a functional and dependability perspective.

I have a 428FE, hydraulic lifters, with functional external oil cooler and 8 Qt Milodon Circle Track Oil Pan. External oil cooler is fed from the oil filter housing via braded AN lines.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 11-28-2003, 07:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

I love my Accusump unit I beleve it save my motor. I had a oil problem when I first ran it and if I wasn't running the Accusump unit it would have burn up. Mike
Old 11-28-2003, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Mike:
Which Accusump unit do you have?
Where is it mounted?
Is it automatic or do you have to flip a switch to prime the oil?
Tell me more.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 11-28-2003, 08:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Which Accusump unit do you have?-I have the three QT.
Where is it mounted?- I have a space between the trunk and the seats,the sump is about the size of three round oil cans.
Is it automatic or do you have to flip a switch to prime the oil?-automatic. Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 11-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art

I also have a 428 along with the 3Qt Accusump and I wouldn't leave home with out it. I have installed a switch so I can have it operate either auto or man. You have to remember it will only store the amount of pressure that your oil pump is putting out. I run in the auto mode until I am ready to shut down and then I will cut power to the solenoid , rev the engine up a bit building a full charge 60 to 80 psi and then kill the engine. The next time I'm ready to start I flip the switch and have a full charge of oil to the engine. For your info it takes about a minute with "HOT" oil to depleat the accusump, and about 3 minutes with "COLD". I have mine located on the front cross member. I have also installed another oil pressure gage on my dash to tell me whats the pressure is in the tank. The tank has a gauge but its not much help to you if the hood is closed and you are in the car. The only adapter you need is a "T" installed in your return line from your oil cooler. It may be a little over kill but I also installed the check valve so I know if I break a line the oil will only go to the engine and if the oil pressure in the accusump drops below 20 PSI a light will come on.
my $.02

Fred
SPF 158
Old 11-28-2003, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Try a search on this site for "accusump" or "pre-oiler". Lots of discussion in the past.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

I use the the PreLuber from ESP Systems on my car. The preluber from <A HREF="http://www.preluber.com/">Engine Lubrication Systems</A> has an electronic module that activates the pump for 30 seconds when the ignition is turned on. The pump builds up 55 lbs. of oil pressure by drawing oil from the oil pan and pressurizing the oil return line from the oil cooler. That way all oil still passes through the oil filter before entering the engine. Oil pressure registers on the engine oil pressure gauge. The module also activates the pump again when the engine is shut down for up to 5 minutes. Keeping oil circulating while the engine cools down helps prevent "coking" or the buildup of sludge on the inner walls of the engine.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."