Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     
Default whos running 390FE"s

Still doing due diilligence on my contuing search for a powerplant. Looking for info, likes, dislikes, advice and builders on 390"s as well as other big block reccomendations
Old 03-20-2004, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

From a budget standpoint I still see complete 390's all years from $500 complete needing rebuild. I like the early 390HP engines myself. The 428's are getting expensive as the 427 has been for some time. Some guys like to stroke the 390 with a 428 3.98 crank and have a 410. Do your homework and know what your looking for. If you have some of the rebuild books look at the part and casting numbers to help ID what you find. You can still find some nice deals on a 428 also. I saw one this week for $3200 complete with only 3000 mi since rebuild. Timing is everything. G.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

You can look in my gallery and see my "little 390". I am very pleased with the performance as well as the cost aspect of it. Only a wise Ford nut can tell if it is a 427 or not.

.060 over = 402 ci.
12-1 comp
Comp solid cam= 248 @ .050, 605 lift
billet roller rockers
billet stands
billet shafts
C7AE-B rods
Canton road race pan
Edelbrock cyl. heads (ported and flowed)
48 IDA Webers
MSD Billet dist.

Going on the chassis dyno in may.

Brent
Old 03-23-2004, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, saving $ for a Kirkham. Buy a FE from me and I'll be that much closer.
Not Ranked     

lineslinger,

You can go buy a complete 390 at a junk yard from a late 60's or early 70's pick-up for a couple hundred bucks or so. rebuild the shortblock using the stock parts (be sure to recondition everything correctly and use new rod bolts) and install new pistons. Throw the heads and intake away (or better yet, just buy the shortblock only) and install Edelbrock heads and intake. If you buy the complete Edelbrock package that includes the cam and lifters, you will automatically have a 400+ HP 390. Be sure to balance the rotating assembly so you can get a few more RPM's without shaking it apart.

You can build this 390 for about $4000.00. If you want to spend a little more you can get close to 500 HP out of it, but for a nice budget motor a 390 is a good way to go... and how much power do you need in such a little car anyway?

Thanks for looking and have a blessed day!
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved."
Romans 10:13
Old 03-23-2004, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 406FE
Not Ranked     

Bill Parham at Southern Automotive builds a FEw..... 770.898.9360
Old 03-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

IMO - affordable 390s are great in Cobras with stock crank, etc. I've ran 428s in my Cobras. My two good friends runs 390s. I have more torque and it sounds a little deeper than their milder 390s, but their cars also sound really cool when they wind it up. Their cars are fun to drive and sometimes I prefer the feel and sound of the shorter stroke 390. Smooth and fun powerband too. I don't think you can lose with a 390 if you can find a good block/crank to start with. Plenty of HP to be had with a 390 and ported Edelbrock heads/intake, etc. Go for it.