Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default How to screw up a Intake Manifold Gasket Install

Have you ever screwed up the installation of your intake manifold gaskets? If you have it was probably the end pieces, right? Well, I put my 3-M adhesive on my gasket instead of my heads and managed to let my adhesive dry too fast that I put around my water ports on my heads and my intake manifold gasket. So, I put a little more on there and things went from bad to worse. I guess I got the adhesive uneven on the gasket and when I bolted my intake down the excess adhesive allowed a vein for the water to travel into my exhaust port. When I fired it up my pipes looked like a steam engine. Naturally, I shut it down immediately and tonight I will pull my intake off and do the job rignt.

For those of you that my wonder why I use 3-M while I am using Fel-Pro gaskets that have a blue silicone sealant on the intake side of the gasket. It is because if you use a sealant like 3-M it will hold your gasket in place while you are positioning your manifold. I think I wll use the spray on copper gasket sealant when I install the next set of gaskets. Unless someone here can give me a good reason not to.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 03-29-2004, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Clois-
I usually use permatex (either hardening or non-hardening, depending on the gasket) to hold gaskets in place and it works great. Haven't tried the spray on copper gasket sealant, so I can't give you any insight on that.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-29-2004, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Clois,

I use Gasga-Cinch that I bought at my local Napa store to secure the gasket to the heads. I also use a really thin coat of silicon around the water jackets.

Chris
Old 03-29-2004, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Clois-

I wouldn't recommend using any gasket.

1) Put the side gaskets on then lower the manifold onto the block. See how much of a gap there is between the manifold and the block front and rear. This will let you know how much RTV you will need to put on the block so it will seal.

2) Clean all surfaces thoroughly.

3) Scratch up the front and rear surfaces with some 80 grit paper - do the block and the head.

4) Smear a thin coating of RTV on the intake and block surfaces - let it dry.

5) Build up a layer of RTV on the block that is higher than the gap you found in step 1.

6) Lower the intake into place - a second (trusted to follow directions) pair of hands is helpful.

7) Torque to spec.

I have never had a leak doing this. I have had leaks w/using gaskets.

Using an old ditributor as a locating guide for the manifold also helps - just cut the top off. It also makes a good "bushing" for priming for oil pressure.

Pat
Old 03-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Don't use Print-O-Seal gaskets

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've heard bad things about those gaskets deforming over time and giving you all kinds of problems.

I've been told to use Victor Reinz - 95159SG (medium riser) or 95158SG for CJ style heads. NAPA carries them.

Chuck
Old 03-29-2004, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Clois

The only thing I would add to Pat's instructions is....

Put some RTV on your finger and force it in the corners of the motor where the block and head and intake meet.... that little junction is a natural place for a oil leak.......

BTW they make a Hi-Temp Clear RTV for this application.

Morris
Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

I remembered to put the silicone in the corners and I did use Fel-Pro 1247 gaskets but I may try the Victor gaskets (especially since they are hlaf the price of Fel-Pro. However, I think I may pressure up my radiator (to about 18 lbs) and pull my valve covers off and see if I can tell exactly where my leak is coming from.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 03-29-2004, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

I too was told to use Victor Reinz -" nitroseal " (carbon grafite).
I was told that these will hold up where others will fail .
$30 bucks from Napa
Old 03-29-2004, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 89 KEITH CRAFT ALL ALUMINUM 427 WINDSOR
Not Ranked     

CLOIS
I am fairly familiar with FE style of engine, just curious, how do you get a water vien to feed an exhaust port from intake side? You might have a different kind of problem going on there.

DON
Old 03-30-2004, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DC,

Not sure but I am checking everything. Couldn't see any problems w/ Edelbrock heads or block when I replace head gaskets. I am checking to see if the new manifold I replaced my 2X4 manifold with is not warped or pitted. This is a new problem I experienced since I swapped manifolds. I pressured up my radiator last night to see if I could spot a leak somewhere but I couldn't. Since there is no water in my oil I am wondering if maybe the end of my manifold may be warped so that I am sucking water into my exhaust port. I really don't know what to look for to be honest. But I will finish the tear down tonight and re-examine everything.

Just love a good mystery!!!!!

"Let's roll"

Old 03-30-2004, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I too am wondering how water got from the intake side to the exhaust.The only lead to the exhaust is the heat riser passage and it is on the other side of an intake port from the water passage. Is it possible, since no water appears in the oil, that some coolant was introduced on the removal of the intake and is just burning out? Antifreeze steams at a higher temp and if introduced into the exhaust can take several minutes to get to temp and burn out completely. I'm curious to see how this plays out. I guess it could be seeping into one of the end intake ports and steaming in the combustion process, a plug reading would show that.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 89 KEITH CRAFT ALL ALUMINUM 427 WINDSOR
Not Ranked     

Clois
If this problem started with a new manifold installation, go back and check everything from that point on. Just because it is new doesn't mean it aint broken. Definately would do a plug check, possibly when ever it was running was it missing, whichever side the steam was coming out of exhaust would be a good place to start checking that bank of cylinders. I have had seen problems of intake gaskets leaking water into an intake port before, usually you can tell, motor will miss, not sound right. Good news if any, no water in oil , therefore the problem really should not be hard to locate.

DON
Old 03-31-2004, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Steamy Follow-up

After disassembling everything on the top end of the engine again and finding NO SIGNS of water migration from the water ports to anywhere. It dawned on me to check and see if my side pipe still had water in it, and it did. I am guessing about a quart. After replacing my head gaskets the first time I thought there should not be anymore steam produced by my engine and there wouldn't have been had I drained the water out of my muffler or removed my side pipes when I started the engine. Boy am I a dumb ass sometimes. I guess I just like to take things apart and defend my Cobra being on jacks all winter to my wife.

Now here is my latest question. Should I drill a small hole in my side pipe (in an inconspicuous (sp) area) to drain the water out and then have it tigged up. Or, should I bolt everything back up and boil the water out? My side pipes are 4 years old and blueing and will be replaced next year.

Thanks for everyones help in this. By the way did this play out the way you expected it to Woodz and D.C.?

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

That was kinda what I suspected. I would go ahead and burn it out. You'll need to take it on the road to get a good enough pressure and heat to get them clean. It will clean out though and steam like an old locomotive for awhile, but won't do any damage.If you don't want anyone to see your Cobra fogging the place, you could do it at night . Because of the slower steam rate of water/antifreeze mix, you might think it will never clean out, it will though and may even take come other carbon build up with it.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

After having the intake milled to match the heads there wasn't much room for the original front and rear cork gaskets.Valve cover rim should be the same height. ports should match and carfully peen the gasket between the head and intake.Oil resistant RTV works great and no corner gaps.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

Clois,

I use nothing but FelPro gaskets in the engines I build and you never put any sealer on the gasket type you are using. The surface is coated so that the gasket can move around a bit as the engine heats up and cools down. You should need no other sealer of any kind on the intake to gasket or gasket to head surface. Only a very SMALL drop of sealer in the corners is all you need.
Silicone comes apart with fuel. It is not to be used for the intake side or any area were it can come in contact with fuel. Read the tube guys as well as the instructions that come with the gasket set.
If heads were milled and you milled the top of the block and intake to match the amount you took of the heads the gasket should fit just like it did before you milled it. If it does not something is wrong.
The intake gasket is made to hold in place by sitting on the head gasket tabs. That is why they are there.
Trust me on this. I can not tell you how many "Hotrods" engines I get in from folks that install intakes and then wonder why it runs so bad. After they have played with plugs, wires, carbs and the like they take it to someone that understands how it all works and the first thing to do is check the last thing they did before the problem.
Check the intake, Sealer leaking out the side every were. Pull the intake. Clean all the crap out of the ports and out of the bolt holes were it can give you a false reading on touqe. Put on a fresh gasket the RIGHT way and the problem goes away.