Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What would you do?

I currently have a very high strung 289. It makes gobs of power in the upper RPM range, but is a total pig below about 3k. I've got a friend who has four running FE 390's. He's willing to part with any of them if I want one for the Cobra.

So I'd be out the cost of new headers, distributor, bellhousing, motor mounts, front springs, etc., but would at least have a big block.

So do y'all think it would be worth my time, or should I just be happy that I have a hice healthy SB?

I know, I know, it's always a personal decision, but I guess what I'm really looking for is someone who has driven both. Does a big block REALLY change the handling so much? will my 4.57 rear gears have to go?

Any other things I should consider?

Thanks, Tom
Old 08-15-2004, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Like all answers relating to Cobras, the answer is, it all depends. A BB FE with aluminum heads, will come in very close weight-wise to a 289 with original cast iron heads. It's still an essentially mid-engine car, so you probably wouldn't notice the difference handling wise......except you'll have a harder time getting the BB to hook up.....

A well-built 390 could be an excellent "budget FE" choice, with gobs of low-end HP and torque, but it will still cost you to build it up right. How big is your bank account?

And, yeah, your rear end ratio would have to change !

Last edited by clayfoushee; 08-15-2004 at 08:05 PM..
Old 08-15-2004, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Put in a stroker 393W. Swap the diff for a 3.55, or 3.23.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bank account isn't really a problem. The 289 has aluminum heads/manifold and I expect that if I went for the FE I'd swap the heads & manifold for the same.

I've thought about the stroker Windsor route, but I'm somewhat drawn to the idea of having an FE in it. Otherwise, quite frankly, I'm not really unhappy with the 289. I've only had this car for about six weeks now and am already tired of, "Is it real?" and "Does it have a 427?" I'm thinking that 99.9% of folks couldn't tell a 427 from a 390. Hell, when I took it to a shop to run it on a dyno, the guy looked at the 289 and asked if it was a 427. (?) If I stuffed the 390 in it, I'd likely just answer, "Yeah, it's a 427."

Basically, I'm drawn to the FE just because, well, that's what God intended when he made the Cobra. Like THAT makes any sense. But I really like the way the car performs right now and I don't want to take a giant step backward just to have a certain look under the hood.

Keep the opinions coming.

Tom
Old 08-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 427fe!

My 427fe side oiler is bored .030 over and stroked, and everything else is ported, polished & alum. I'm still going to say:"Yeah, it's a 427"!

600/600 should be loads of fun!

Go with the FE, they just 'SOUND' better!

jdog

Last edited by jdog; 08-15-2004 at 09:42 PM..
Old 08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A big block will be much easier for typical driving than a high strung 289. You'll have the power available down low where the 289 is currently a little challenged. Put the 3.55 rear gear and you have good all around performance.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Future
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Go with the FE. They sound nice and as others have said GOD meant the FE to power the Cobra. You really can't tell a 390 from a 428 without pulling the thing apart. My experience is with Mustangs and Torino's, you just can't beat a BB Ford power plant. Dave
Old 08-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I think you are going to find this is a bigger project than you think.

But, hey have at it. Why not find a 427 cammer and stuff that in the engine bay?

I love this stuff!!! Ya Hoooooooooooooooooooo.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

There is one way to tell if it's a S/O if you only have a view from the top. Good to know when some claim 'it's a s/o'...
Well....How many know?????

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by trularin

I think you are going to find this is a bigger project than you think.

But, hey have at it. Why not find a 427 cammer and stuff that in the engine bay?

I love this stuff!!! Ya Hoooooooooooooooooooo.
The only thin thing that really worries me about this swap is the engine height. Right now with the SB I have to have the air cleaner angled with a shim to get it to sit flat up against the riser in the hood. I'm only guessing here that there's more than one Cobra out there running a big block under a "stock" hood, but I'm not looking forward to the setup engineering.

Is there really any thing else to worry about? I've done engine swaps before and haven't had any real issues arise.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

There's a bunch of BBs running with stock hoods. You may need to modify the engine mounts on the frame. Typically, the frames are built with BB or SB in mind.

You might need to worry about the trannie too. For example, a T-5 won't handle BB torque for very long.

I'm not familiar with the Shell Valley chassis, and I don't know anyone with one, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 08-16-2004 at 06:29 AM..
Old 08-17-2004, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Go with a 427...

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 08-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

What would you want for that 289?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Tom,
Call Shell Valley and ask them the swap questions. I have an F.E. and I like it Because it is loud, obnoxious, powerful and
historic. (I'm just a street hack) If you want to open track the car, then stick with a small block.
Sounds like you have all ready made up your mind.
Steve
Old 08-19-2004, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Have used a 351 windsor stroked to 383 Dart II heads, Vic. Jnr. and a toploader with the 3.25, live axle 9".

This set up gives me more than enough power than I could ever handle.

Think I agree with 'Jack21' on the option he suggested here. But you did ask for the 289. v. 390FE and this I hesitate on giving advice/suggestions on, as I am not aware of cost associated with re builds etc. here.

The weight difference using aluminium heads on the 390FE was interesting comparison with the 289 cast situation.

I can recal Bob Bondurant talking about 351w in Cobras and the use of them at the race training facility. (Kuit Car Magazine in the late 90's There was comparisons made here about weight, handling etc. You may find his article.

Good luck.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-19-2004, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Sorry

Just thought you may want to email George at Gessford who is on this forum as an advertiser/sales business.

KS to Nebraska ??

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-19-2004, 03:46 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default NE Kansas to Hastings Nebrask isn't a bad drive.

Yeah,
Go see George at Gessford. It isn't a bad drive and well worth the trip for all the cool stuff you'll see like all aluminum shelby engines etc. George knows his stuff and is very helpful.

I am hopefully starting to assemble my 390 this weekend if you want to see how a budget build goes together.

Chuck Brandt
Old 08-19-2004, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

Hey
I'm in the 390 fe build up mode right now. 390 + .040", forged pistons, Edelbrock heads, Lunati solid cam, Edelbrock RPM intake and water pump, 750cfm Speed Demon. This will get me rolling and when time permits, a 428 or 427 will follow.
Go big block Ford. The parts are out there and it looks RIGHT!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default That's close to mine, what are your cam specs?

Your build is very similar to mine, although your heads are undoubtedly better. I'm also standard bore because I started out with a 352 block.

What are your cam specs if I might ask? I went with a crane H-272-H hydraulic with might be a bit small for the cobra? The motor is going in a heavy old pickup when I'm done with it in the cobra so that was a consideration too.

Thanks, Chuck
Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

Chuck
The cam # is LUN405A2 solid lifter. Dur@.050 is 248 int and 255 ex. Lift is .580 int and .607 ex.
Will it work for my motor ? Time will tell. Everything is in parts right now.
Hopefully tpiini will go BB Ford.