Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2004, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     
Default Thoughts on Intakes

Guys (and Gals),

I am rebuilding a 428 SCJ. Down to the last parts...heads, cam, intake and so on. I am trying to decide on the intake and am looking for advice. What intake would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: made mine from molds taken off an original, 302/ 351 heads hand made intake drysump oil system, and lots of nitrous.
Send a message via AIM to griffinzein Send a message via Yahoo to griffinzein
Not Ranked     

i would use a tunnel ram cause ytou can cut the runners and use inglese webber carbs on it. or you could just put the webbers on it with the webber intake and you would have a torque curve that starts at 1100 rpms and stops when your engine blows up.....atleast mine did lol. you'll also have more power on demand than with anyother system that ive tried, and a throttle rsponce that is better than the most finely tuned direct port injection that ive ever seen.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Tunnel ram? through the hood??? Webers are for italians and guys who are afraid to take a Holley apart.

You know what to do... Now go do it... Yes. Dual Quad. A pair of 600 Holleys or if you are really good modify a pair of 450's or if you really want to live opt for a pair of 660's.

I have a couple extra intakes you are welcome to.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 08-20-2004, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael,

I agree...nothing through the hood. Would look cool with the hood up...

What kind of intakes do you have? I wanted to go dual, but I have not really persued that much.

Mike
Old 08-21-2004, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Well, what is your plan for the car? Are you looking for max performance, original look, or something in between? If you are looking for max hp on a street motor, I'd suggest something like a single plain Edelbrock Victor intake. If you are looking for the original Cobra look, then you could go with a factory medium riser intake, or a 428 CJ intake. Myself personally, I wanted the proper look, but also better than stock performance. So I chose the Blue Thunder intake, which visually looks like the original medium riser, with better performance. If you want dual quads, Blue Thunder makes one of those as well, or you could just use a stock 2x4 intake. Hope this helps.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 08-21-2004, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

For a street Cobra the Edelbrock Performer RPM can't be beat. The old 1960s manifolds are just that ,1960s technology. The Victor is a great "racing" manifold. Lazy under 4000 rpm though and not a great street manifold.

Brent
Old 08-21-2004, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It will definitely be a street car. The Edelbrock Performer RPM is the one I am thinking about...but I am watching Sidewinder on e-bay ( see Parts for Sale). What I have not yet found out is what the Sindwinder is made out of.

Mike
Old 08-21-2004, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

Keep in mind what the "sidewinder" was made for. Going in a circle all the time.

Brent
Old 08-21-2004, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

The Sidewinder is an aluminum intake, with the carb offset one inch to the drivers side. It was designed for oval track racing, but also makes a great street intake. I still suggest the Blue Thunder intake. It's the same look and design as the Sidewinder and Edelbrock Performer, but with better performance. You can buy them new for $430, which is about what used Sidewinders cost, and it has the correct look for the car (if that matters to you).

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 08-21-2004, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Hey I just saw SCJ in your build. Did you find all SCJ internals? Sounds like that's a solid start and really nice setup! I'm using the old tri-power on mine. Not very original but kinda cool none the less. HP trends has an excellent download for tripower setup, tech and rebuilding. I REALLY like the Sidewinders that Sal mentioned also. G.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I love the look and the PERFORMANCE of my dual fours. But I can't road race the car because the duals are just to difficult to sort out. The flood under HARD turns or HARD braking, 'causing a mean hesitation. Straight line? Get outta here, they are bad to the bone!

Because I'm more track oriented I would have gone with a single Holley center pivot float and turkey pan. Like the Comp Cars had back in the day. Dual fours were for street, and did well there.

Also I'd try to find an original alloy Ford OEM intake manifold. Mine is a High Riser making it especially difficult to find parts for (intake gaskets, single four barrel intake, etc.) Tunnel ports would be even MORE trouble (but dam it would look good)! Tunnel port is NOT street friendly, the big single plane intake favors high rpm and lots of it.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by FFR428

Hey I just saw SCJ in your build. Did you find all SCJ internals? Sounds like that's a solid start and really nice setup! I'm using the old tri-power on mine. Not very original but kinda cool none the less. HP trends has an excellent download for tripower setup, tech and rebuilding. I REALLY like the Sidewinders that Sal mentioned also. G.
My crank is correct. Pistons are brand new. The connecting rods are original. Cam, lifters, heads, intake will all be new. The block is in awsome shape...cost me dearly to buy it. My wife is just now getting over it. The block has a "C" scratched on it, and Super stamped on it, also, 428 stamp can be seen (barely) inside the center freeze plug. Cylinders are bored 30 over. Desktop dyno shows 450 hp with the dual plane RPM intake (and proper cam).

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by BB427

Keep in mind what the "sidewinder" was made for. Going in a circle all the time.

Brent
How does this offset mounting help? Are there certain forces at play when going in a circle that some how effect fuel distribution? Thats my guess anyways.

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I'd go with a dual plane single or dual quad,your choice. I think the centrifugal force affected the fuel/air in the constant roundy motion and the offset was to equalize distribution under those conditions.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

I'm very happy with the Edelbrock Performer RPM. Provides great street manners and plenty of low-end grunt.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I most certainly could be wrong but this is what I've been told. Yes, they were commonly used in circle track originally but were also what Shelby put on the 427 side-oilers - according to some of the most informed the only single carb intakes used on the 427's from the factory. Some people then retrofited (mistake) their cars with dual quads.

The premise behind the offset carb is a dual plane intake that has relatively equal runner lengths. Essentially an effort to equalize the atomonization of the fuel/air mixture to each cylinder. A better description would be (because cirlce tracks have straights - most anyway ) a "race" intake with streetable manners - kind of the best of both worlds. Once again, I could be wrong but despite increases in technology I don't believe an performer rpm type intake achieves this - in fact, I believe it is simply a standard dual plane that promotes short runners and increased torque - like truck engines.

Someone with info. directly in the business might be able to shed more light on the topic.

Woodz428 - I know you have some "FE" goods up there but you state a Sidewinder should be about $450 - are you selling one? If you are I'm tempted to steal it for that!

Last edited by Cracker; 08-22-2004 at 09:30 AM..
Old 08-22-2004, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cracker,

Why are you trying to buy a sidewinder when you are selling one? Just curious. Saw the ebay auction ended w/o a sale. My guess is that your reserve was above $800.

As for a Woodz428 sidewinder, I might be interested too!

Someone just listed a 390-428 EB RPM manifold on ebay for $285 buy now. Ticks me off...ebay is an auction site. I can buy a NIB intake from Jegs for almost the same price. Not a deal.

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Because that would be a deal - mabe. These intakes, like side-oiler blocks are prone to abuse and porting work that would make them less valuble - @ $500-600 on the low end. I just haven't seen a like new or upgraded Sidewinder going for less than $600 but then again I don't see many because there's not many left. You asked so I'll share the breakdown via private message in a moment. Have a great weekend!
Old 08-22-2004, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Geez, guys, I had to go reread my own post. I DO have a some FE stuff stashed up here, but I DON'T have a Sidewinder for sale( or one not for sale), so I'm not sure how that became the impression. I also don't recall stating a Sidewinder was only worth $450, I might have said (but don't recall) that I wouldn't give more than that for one. But all the interest in one will make me call a few of my older FE buddies to see what they might still have. If I come up with one I'll post it here. My money is on some of the newer intakes, much like heads/valvetrains they have come a long way since the '60's.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Woodz428 - My apologies big time! I need to read-a-little-more-carefully-before-quoting!!!

PowerSurge wrote: " You can buy them new for $430, which is about what used Sidewinders cost, and it has the correct look for the car (if that matters to you)."

Sorry ya'all!