Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2004, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb The New Genesis Performance 427 Side Oiler Blocks

I just finished reading an article in the new December 2004 Musclecar Enthusiast magazine. The article was about the new Genesis Performance Castings Ford 427 Side Oiler blocks.

It appears that Genesis can make two versions of their new block, one in aluminum and the other in cast iron. The aluminum blocked complete engine weighs about 320 pounds less than the cast iron block.

Genesis has also announced that they will be offering a fully built crate engine called the "Cobra Drop In". It is a 468 CI motor with 4.25 inch bore and 4.125 stroke, with a Scat crankshaft and rods, forged Diamond racing pistons, Edelbrock performer heads and a Performer RPM intake with Holley Carb.

They will soon offer Stage II and Stage III engines as well but there was no data on those in the article.

Genesis says in the article that both the aluminum and iron blocks offer considerable strengthening over the stock FE block and the whole bottom end of the block is heavier (it weights about 30 pounds more than the stock 427 FE NOS block).

The Genesis crate motors and blocks will soon be offered for sale in the upcoming Ford Racing Parts catalog.

Genesis is on the web at.. www.genesis427.com or at 317-357-8767.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 11-02-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

This is good news for those that want to have 427's in their Cobras.

Whether there is the "prestige" associated with them or not, this is a good thing for the Cobra world...

...assuming the blocks and completed engines have been sufficiently proven, of course.

Maybe some day for me...........
Old 11-02-2004, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Bottom end is 30 lbs heavier and yet the aluminum engine is still 320 lbs lighter than an FE?

Does the math add up. I don't know what an FE weighs, but it seems like a lot of wieght being shed.

TURK
Old 11-02-2004, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

Perhaps all aluminum FE w/ alum. heads, intake, water pump, etc... vs. all iron FE...iron heads, intake, etc...

OK, Carbon Fiber intake?

Balsa wood?

I dunno....
Old 11-03-2004, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 393 stroker, Tremec 3550, about 425 hp, MDA GT40 289
Not Ranked     

Maybe they meant to say the aluminum motor itself weighs 320 pounds, not 320 pounds lighter. It would make more sense.

Jim
Old 11-03-2004, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Either way I'm happy to see these. They have been a long time coming and some thought it would never happen. And will be in the FMS catalog no less.....cool. G.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Ok a wee bit of clarification from the article...

The IRON FE block from Genesis weighs in at 223 pounds while the NOS FE block was about 194-197 pounds (thus the 30 pound difference).

The ALUMINIUM FE block from Genesis weighs in at 120 pounds thus about 103 pounds less than the Genesis Iron FE. The aluminum blocks are officially in pre-production status and may be available in a few months, (January 2005??)

The total weight of the Aluminum Genesis with aluminum heads and intakes vs the stock IRON NOS FE with iron heads and such puts the weight factor at about 320~ pounds or so less for the aluminum build up engine.

Although I have not seen this block yet nor do I have anything to do with Genesis, it appears to me that this is very good news for the Cobra and Ford world.

Alot of us hold our breath every time we approach the redline with our old FE engines. Also, many of us have no more room left to bore the block as we are at the max. So for this reason, this could be very good news for us.

Apparently Genesis which is owned by Weber Manufacturing, is going to place these blocks below the price of the Carol Shelby Enterprises aluminum 427. The estimated Iron Block will be $3410 and the Aluminum will be $4410 according to the article.

My local engine builder tells me that the Shelby aluminum 427 block has been a nightmare to acquire with numerous delays this past year. I have no first hand knowledge of this, just hearsay.
This looks like an interesting and positive development for the Ford musclecar world.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 11-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

For those that may not know this already, Genesis got bought out by Webber Mfg. I spoke with Tim McLoughlin mid October, and it appears they are definitely taking this mainstream. There is a Ford Part number already for the upcoming Ford Racing catalog for the iron block, Part Number M6070-A427 is what Tim provided.

Another interesting thing to note, this new block is accepted by NHRA for Stock and Super Stock Classes, and currently holds the A-Stock record.

Looks like they have been updating their website too with some of this new information. Very cool, FE Lives!
Old 11-03-2004, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 #708, 427 SO
Not Ranked     

ttt
Old 11-03-2004, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Is this same genesis aluminum block I have been reading about, now going on 5 YEARS?

Why don't they stop hyping it and start doing it.

I used to even subscribe to their newsletter!!

Market needs it, and will reward them well. Just do it!!

TURK
Old 11-04-2004, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Weight

I havent got the facts but the alloy FE engine doesn't weigh 320lbs less than the a cast iron engine, or weighs 320 in total those figures dont make sense!

An all alloy SBF would be lucky to get down to 370-385lbs, add another 100lbs on to your figures.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 11-04-2004, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I too spoke with Tim McLoughlin from Genesis today.

He claims that there are plenty of 427 iron blocks available. The aluminum blocks will be available in January '05.

Also, they will begin selling crate motors shortly.

Can anyone give a good reason why I should not consider buying the iron 427 block at $3,410?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Weight

Quote:
Originally posted by Ant

I havent got the facts but the alloy FE engine doesn't weigh 320lbs less than the a cast iron engine, or weighs 320 in total those figures dont make sense!

An all alloy SBF would be lucky to get down to 370-385lbs, add another 100lbs on to your figures.
An all-alloy FE vs an iron FE:
Total weight of an iron FE, with heads and intake is somewhere around 700 pounds (I think there are many many threads beating this subject into the ground, but I'm going by my own experience with my own combinition of bits on the scale).

When I replaced the intake and heads and water pump with aluminum versions, the exhaust manifolds with headers, and shaved a bit off the crank, I ended up near 500 pounds. If the Genesis aluminum block weighs 100+ pounds less than an iron block, then that would bring my version of an all alloy FE down to the 400 pound range. Very close to the weight of an all alloy SBF which I'm assuming is a good number in the post above. That 400 pound version of an all-alloy FE is indeed 320 pounds or so less than a fully loaded all-iron FE. Note: my induction system weighs more than the average 4V aluminum intake.

What's everyone's problem here? Don't you want an excellent repro FE block to be available and to be better than the paperthin-walled 'originals' that have been bandaged and fixed and kept on life support way past their intended lives?

Old 11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do.

Would be satisfied with an iron block with aluminum heads, manifold etc.

Only concern is whether the quality will be there in the Genesis product. Hopefully it will with Ford's support.

Oh and for those NJ folks, mileage restrictions due to new blockwill be a factor over a 60's era original.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

Wonder if they are going to make a create shortblock?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

The Genesis blocks are certainly a major windfall for cobra enthusiasts. It should be remembered however, that the block copies the side-oiler oiling layout, which was great in 1966 but is decidedly antique now.

I for one, hope that competition from Genesis prompts Shelby to drop the price of his blocks, which have a thoroughly modern oiling system. Of course, with Shelby's recent financial troubles, and the notorious difficulty in even getting your hands on the Shelby blocks, this point might be irrelevant.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ttt
Old 11-07-2004, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I find all of this old news since we have already built about 15 Genesis engines and short-blocks. We have built two aluminum block engines as well. We have also built a Pond Motorsports aluminum block 427 for a customer as well. We inspect all of our blocks by pressure checking, crack checking and probing in our RMC CNC block machining center to the original Ford blueprints.
If you want a nice FE Ford crate engine at a great price, all you have to do is pick up the phone and call. As far as the blocks, we have 10 Genesis cast iron blocks in stock, 5 Shelby aluminum blocks in stock, 4 standard bore and one large bore. We have more coming as well. If you want to be a player in this market you have to step up to the plate and get with the program. Most shops waite till the customer gives them a deposit and then try to get this stuff and then they are waiting. We buy it when it is available and the customer does not have to waite.
We have FE crate 427 engines that start at 13,995.00 and go up from there. SWe will also have the Genesis aluminum blocks as well as the Pond Motorsports steel and aluminum blocks as well.
As far as the oiling system on these blocks which has been beat to death on this sight all of the blocks have good oiling systems when a few modifications are performed to make them the best they can be. I have no problem with the side oiloer or the Shelby priority oiling system.
Now that you know who has the parts just give a call with your needs. We will sell you a machined block, crank kit, CNC heads and any other part you want if you want to do it your self or we can build complete. The future is here. Thanks Keith Craft
Old 11-07-2004, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, Pond Aluminum 482FE
Not Ranked     
Default Pond Aluminum 427 S/O

Keith Said:
Quote:
We have also built a Pond Motorsports aluminum block 427 for a customer as well.
Joe Says:
Can't wait to see it in December!

Last edited by HotRodJoe; 11-07-2004 at 06:49 PM..
Old 11-07-2004, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Keith,

What is the scoop on the Pond Motorsports aluminum 427 block/engine (specs - pros and cons, and price), as compared to the Shelby and Genesis aluminum 427 blocks ?

When (what reason) would you pick one manufacturer over the other ?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."