Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Question 427 Oil use and dipstick

I have a C5AE 427 so and am wondering what is "normal" oil consumption on this engine. I seem to be adding a half quart on a regular basis and am wondering what other people's experience is. Don't appear to have any noticable leaks other than some past blow by from the rear breather and little leak from the rear of the passenger side valve cover.

Also, the dipstick tube has come loose and I've just crammed it back into the block. There's no mounting bracket for it. What's the typical mount and also how do you "calibrate" the dipstick so it gives a proper reading? I have a Lemans style pan, that was custom made, and put 9 quarts in on a oil change.
Thanks!
Scott
Old 11-15-2004, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

When I started looking close at different engines in different cars ,I found so many different arrangements Lengths, bends, bolted to # 4 exhaust bolt ,on front of head, And that tube just crammed into the block leaked on everyone I saw. I tried something different and made an adapter that actually had an O-Ring then a close female flare fitting .Had that and the actual dipstick chromed and made a SS tube and bracket. It doesn't leak. There are some after market dipstick and tubes out there.They may be more what you like.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Do you happen to have a picture?

Mike,
Sounds like you made a nice set-up. Would love to see a picture if you have it.

Any thoughts on how to best determine if the dipstick is measuring correctly? I guess I could drain everything, put 9 quarts in, and then mark it from there. However, with the LeMans pan, oil cooler, remote oil filter, I'm not even sure 9 quarts is the correct amount. It's just want the previous owner, and builder, told me.
Thanks!
Scott
Old 11-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Scott, what type of pan do you have? I have a Canton, and the stock dip stick and tube show full when it is full (I verified it once when I had the pan off). Also, do a search, seems like there was a thread awhile back about how to determine the full mark...like 1-1/2" below the pan gasket? Anyway, maybe another easy way would be to compare your dipstick/tube with a stock one, 'cause I think the logic is that the "full" oil level needs to be a certain distance below the crank throws. Alternatively, get a windage tray and find out how far below the pan gasket it hangs and call that full?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Oops, double post!

Last edited by mr0077; 11-16-2004 at 10:25 AM..
Old 11-16-2004, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Here is what I would suggest and this procedure has worked for me....

Fill up your crankcase with the perscribed quantity of oil that the pan is rated for. In my case that was 8 quarts. Add one quart to this if you have a remote engine oil cooler. Add 1/2 quart for your oil filter. In my case this totals 8+1+1/2 = 9 1/2 quarts.

I ran the engine a while and then shut it down. After about 3 hours I then pulled the engine oil temperature sender which is mounted in at the top rear of one of the "T" wings of my Milodon oil pan. The oil temp bulb NEEDS to be wet in order to give a good reading.... so in pulling the bulb you have to make sure that the oil is indeed wetting the probe of the sender. If the oil temp sender is dry then you may have to add more oil to immerse it. However I did not have to do that.

Once this is done and buttoned back up, you can now assume that you have a full payload of oil. With a metal file, pull your oil dipstick and clean it off and then take a reading.

Scribe the high water line on the dipstick with the file. This should be your FULL line as actually measured.

On another note, my engine does not burn oil in a visibily noticeable way (smoke) nor does it leak. However, I find myself adding about 1/2 quart every 1000 or 1500 miles. I change my oil every 3000 so this is not a problem.

Hope this helps?

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 11-16-2004, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

It really doesn't matter what dip stick you use as a reference as long as it stays the same. You really might consider a Lokar or even a properly secured OEM unit. www.lokar.com

As far as oil "use"... If your FE has a leak oil use is relative. How much are you leaving on the ground? Another big area of "usage" is a leaky in take manifold. Are you confident your intake isn't sucking oil into the runners? You really might consider pulling it before considering how much oil you are "using".

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 11-16-2004, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's not going on the ground....

Haven't seen a drop of oil under the car. I've had some leak from the passenger side valve cover, some from the rear breather, and blow by from oil fill tube breather cap and rear goose neck breather, but that's all I've seen. Not getting any noticable blue smoke or smell from the side pipes. I was thinking that if I have an issue with the rings or intake, it would be producing some noticable smell/smoke? Since the dip stick tube has come loose, I wonder if I haven't been getting an accurate/consistent reading on the oil level ie it looked full, I ran it and the tube came loose, I checked later and the movement in the tube caused a reading that showed a low oil level. I guess I need to get my experient under "control" so I know I've got reliable and repeatable measurements. Also, Tony Radford's got me scared after reading some of his posts on the Unique site about similar symptoms. He had a carb that was too rich and kept his rings from seating and ended up having to get a ring job done. I know the carb was rich when I got the car, and I've tuned it back now, but the damange may have been done.
Thanks!
Scott