Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, 427SO 2x4's, 630HP/600TQ
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Rods Question

We're bluepinting a build right now. I have the block (427TO), heads (Edelbrock Aluminum 74cc) manifold/carburation (2x4's), steel crank and pistons (Aries Forged Aluminum 10-1). I was going to use Lemans rods or Cobra Jet rods but the Lemans rods are 60 grams heavier than then the Cobra Jet rods and I'm strip racing it. My motorhead suggested we use Eagle rods which fall in between the other two choices in weight. I think they also have the double snap lock's for the pins, but I'm not sure.

Anyone with opinions or experience with the Eagle rods, I would appreciate any comments, advice or alternatives. Thanks.

Bernie
Old 04-09-2005, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Burnd Bernie Use the eagle rods with ARP 2000 bolts and keep the limiter to MAX 6500rpm. What is this motor going in? If a cobra, go with a 20 lbs flywheel. I have a new in the box C9ZZ-6200A rods inboxes I didn't use because of the wieght. I have Eagles in my first motor with a cast 428 crank and limit the balanced bottomend to 6000 rpm. My next motor is going the BBC rods and billet crank. Lighter parts is better for 1/4 racing. Good luck. I thought that the eagle rods wieght 640 compared to the stock ones that wieght 680-690. Rick Lake
Old 04-10-2005, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
I no longer use Lemans rods for Fe builds although I have boxes of used ones laying around. The cost of rebuilding a set of used Lemans rods now makes it cost prohibitive versus the cost of brand new aftermarket rods. I prefer using the Eagle rods or suitable counterpart whenever possible as they are now reasonably priced using brand new material and are lighter than the Lemans rods. At this point, material fatigue due to age and use are a major consideration against using any used rod in a performance build. And regarding the CJ rods, I'm not a fan of the 3/8" bolt kit that is supplied by ARP as a replacement for the stock CJ bolts. At this point, I'll use the standard 390 or 428 Thunderjet rods with the non-shanked ARP rod bolt set when wanting to use a stock set of rods in an engine build.

Just my thoughts on connnecting rods.

Ted Eaton.

Last edited by ted; 04-10-2005 at 06:50 AM..
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've heard that referrence to Le Mans or CJ rods being "so old" they may be "weak" several different times. I assume this "age" reference is about rod "service life". The time it was actually used in an engine. Like NOS rods or verfiyable "low mileage" rods would be perfectly acceptable, I would think?

Granted if you have to "re-build" an old rod, I'd be looking hard at new or after market ones. Or if your going to run extreme rpm you can't go wrong with a new "after market" rod for insurance.

I'm running CJ rods myself, which when checked by the machine shop needed no additional work. My motor only had a few thousand miles on it since the last major re-build. I was mainly just "freshening" it with new low compression pistons and a more street friendly cam. Of course all new internals like bearings, oil pump, etc.

Fired it up yesterday, sounds great, runs smooth, I'm stoked!

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-10-2005 at 08:48 AM..
Old 04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the comments.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on rods, but I wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to offer your advice and comments. I'll bite the bullet here soon and do "sumpin". I'm still waffeling a little. As my other half says: You got to have a strong bottom end". Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Go to Mustang Depot if you don't want to spend the extra money for the Eagle Rods, MD sells a rod that I am told is very comprable to the Eagle for about half the price. However, if you are going to all the trouble of blue printng your engine why not spend the extra money to keep it together. Your engine is only as strong as it's weakest part, I know I built a couple that didn't last trying to save a few bucks.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I agree with you..... not cutting corners in bottom end.

Clois:

I don't have a problem with the price of the Eagle rods. Actually, I thought they were quite reasonable. It's the China forging that doesn't thrill me. I wasn't looking to cut corners; was just trying to get the most bang for the buck with weight vs strength. More importantly, I want to feel comfortable at 6500 without a second thought. Carillo and Manleys were a consideration, but i didn't know if I need to spring up that far in cost for rod integrity. It's a stretch considering some of the other paraphernalia I still have to buy. All it takes is money and I'm not exactly rolling in it, but I'd rather pay now, than a second time... later.

Thanks for the tip on MD.

Bernie