Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     
Default Dual Quad KN filter Hood Clearence.........

While it is being discussed in an earlier thread let me run a question by you guys. I've got a 427 SO with a set of Edlbrk. med. riser heads, a BT dual quad intake, twin 4160's, and the KN oval air filter made to fit the oval dual quad Cobra filter housing.
I have yet to decide on which kit and continue to reseach them as the engine build continues, am I going to need a modified hood scoop, or....is this something I can work out with my car company before frame/hood construction starts. Would they possibly modify the placement of the engine mount brackets for that needed clearence?
Just curious. I would rather figure it out now, not later.......
Thanks

Mark
Old 05-16-2005, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

If they lowered the motor for air cleaner clearance, you'd have oil pan clearance issues (with the ground).
Old 05-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Thats what I figured, did yours need modifying or was the fit right the first time?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are so many variables...many brands will vary from original. I've got an ERA, which is supposed to be real close to an original in many regards. I've got a Ford "Tunnel Wedge" intake, which is a dual quad single plane. I also have spacers under the carbs to make them level (the intakes have the front carb lower than the rear for hood clearance). I have two "Stellings & Hellings" (or however you spell it) 8" diameter air cleaners, and with correct trimming of the hood under the standard air scoop, the air cleaners fit right in the scoop as if they were made to. I really don't think the carbs get the best air flow with my setup, but oh well. With the medium riser dual quad intake and no spacers, the setup fit under the hood, and probably would with the Tunnel Wedge with no spacers also. I have no experience with the air cleaner you're talking about, but have seen them on many Cobras.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I have the 427 so with 2x4 tunnel wedge twin 1850's. Two S&H air cleaners with the foam elements .The perforated metal rings are trimedon one side to create a taper.Front cleaner is partially under the hood.rear cleaner leaves a mark at rear of hood scoop.I've had the carb flanges milled and the intake to head surfaces milled to get the valve cover flange and ports all lined up to the point where I have to use RTV to seal the manifold to block ends.
I'm sure the restrictive aircleaners are limiting things. I bought two K&N 'E-2570 elements and can't use them ,They hold the hood up.I'm looking for a fix that would clear the hood ,take advantage of air at scoop and flow more clean air.Someone has to be making what I want.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 05-18-2005 at 06:28 PM..
Old 05-18-2005, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Dean Lampe just bought and completed a Hurricane which we shoe horned a 427 S/O in a few weeks ago and he has a taller scoop than most of the kits out. I believe the dual quads will fit with the oval air cleaner in his Hurricane.

When I ran my 2x4 set up I had to use a pair of 8" x 2" chrome air filters. I don't think a 2 x 4 set up is not necessarily the fastest way around a road course. They do work great on the Drag strip.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 05-18-2005 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: dual paxton 427 Cam Am Cobra
Not Ranked     

This reply is for Michael C Henry. I had the same problem with my Shelby Cobra (CSX4039) where the K&N filters wouldn't fit. What I did was to twist them which made them thin enough to clear the hood. I'm including a link to a picture of the engine which is in the current owners picture gallery. Hope it works.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...sort=1&cat=500

Bob
Old 05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It obviously takes a twisted mind to come up with an idea like that, bfleming.
Neat trick.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like that approach . I'd still like to see a inline dual four air cleaner system that is functional ,getting as much air from the hood scoop through sides and top all flowing .Chrome not being necessary. Dual fours are aircleaner challenged and on a tunnel wedge intake height is the other problem it needs a non traditional hood scoop.So far the only way I could get enough air would be to run without air cleaners
If I had nothing and was buying inductionfrom scratch, I'd be shopping for a multiport conversion EFI with a large single four airdoor( throttle body). Dual fours look nostalgic but with the single four carbs available now I'd rather have a single four. And If I were buying a new car I'd order an extra hood.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The twisted K&Ns.How did you do that?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael C Henry

on a tunnel wedge intake height is the other problem it needs a non traditional hood scoop
This may be true on some replica makes, but I believe the Tunnel Wedge is the same height as the Ford dual plane medium riser intake.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: dual paxton 427 Cam Am Cobra
Not Ranked     

To be honest I don't exactly remember how I did it as it was a number of years ago now. I suspect I just took the filter in both hands and gave a twist.