Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default 10,000.00 FE that makes over 500HP

Is there a need for a FE engine that can be had for 10,000.00 from carburetor to oil pan fresh of the dyno. We can do a 390 block FE with Scat 4.250 cast steel crankshaft, Scat 4340 I-beam rods, JE pistons, Comp hydraulic roller camshaft, Crane lifters, Canton oil pan, stock front cover, Performance Products damper, Smith Brothers pushrods, Edelbrock Stage 2 small valve heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Erson roller rockers with hardened shafts, Ford Racing valve covers, MSD distributor and wires, Holley 750HP vacume secondary carburetor, Edelbrock water pump, balanced and assembled with dyno break-in and testing.
As you can see this is no stripped down engine but one with a lot of quality parts. This combination will make 550ft/lbs torque and 525HP with no problem and run all day.
I was just wondering if there was any interest in this type of FE engine to go into some of the Cobras that want to have an original look.
We are always open to any ideals that the club members may have for an engine combination. This is the same combination that we are doing for the London Cobra raffle car. I feel that it will make a very nice piece. Just wanted to get some input on this. Thanks, Keith
Old 08-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Finished CID is?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Default 390 stroker....

I believe it is based on a .030 over 390 block which when combined with a 4.25"
crank would yield 444.5 CID. The crank
is a 2.2" journal for 6.7" BBC rods. This gives a rod length/stroke ratio of 1.576.
The combination is a bit undersquare, but
it shouldn't be a problem unless you want
something that will twist beyond 6,000.
Should make for a good torquey street
motor.

....Fred
Old 08-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Re: 10,000.00 FE that makes over 500HP

Quote:
Originally posted by Keithc8

This is the same combination that we are doing for the London Cobra raffle car. I feel that it will make a very nice piece. Just wanted to get some input on this. Thanks, Keith

Heck, I want one!!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-05-2005, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

KEITH,

I'D BE INTERESTED.

BLACKJACK
Old 08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2275 #50 of the anniversary edition cars. Roush 427R TKO600
Not Ranked     

I might be interested also, got any pictures you can post?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keith, i would be interested...Grant McCrary is a close friend, he housed his car in my shop for over a year...i've seen acouple of your engines, i could do biz on one...i also saw lots of the tail-lites on that sbf/turbo vs my mega-inch nitrous BBC
Old 08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

yes

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 08-07-2005, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That sounds like a pretty decent engine for the price. I think you could sell them. Don't forget the Galaxie, Fairlane, Mustang, Cougar, Torino, etc. guys out there. There's a pretty big market for this stuff outside of Cobras, too. Maybe you could make this engine in several "stages". This could be the higher end engine, and you could make several variations on it with lower cost components or less power. I think you're on to something here.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

We have pictures of several FE engines but being a 390 FE it would look just like a regular 427 engine without the cross-bolts. We could even install aftermarket steel cross-bolt style caps for about 550.00 to give the cross-bolt look and then it would have the same look as a center oiler 427
I was just trying to come up with an inexpensive FE that would cost about the same as a nice small block that made similiar power. We have been doing the SBF for years with 4.030 bore with 4.00, 4.100, 4.125 stroke for years now. This engine with our induction system would make power all the way to 6200 with a hydraulic roller and even higher with a solid flat-tappet or solid roller. We could have a less expensive option by using flat-tappet, stock style valve train, stage 1 heads and maybe get the cost down to 9000.00 and still make about 450 to 475 HP. I rebuilt the 428CJ in my 69 Shelby GT-500 and used all of the stock parts and just installed a little better camshaft and made 500ft/lbs torque and 450HP so I know we can do a decent FE without breaking the bank.
This is a combination that we have done a couple of times but felt that a lot of people did not know it was an option or the power that could be made. Just give us a call if you want to try one of these. Thanks, Keith Craft