Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default FE Cam Bearings

I recently tore my 360 apart to rebuild it and I was looking at the cam bearings and #3 was cocked at an angle. My has the same bearings it came with from the factor so I imagine the cam bearing was put in wrong from the factory. What I didnt understand was the first cam bearing has two holes in it and all the others have only one. Doesn't the oil come in the cam bearings then down to the main bearings? I'm still trying to figure out the miss alignment of the cam bearing. Anyone have any info on the oiling? any help will be much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you look closely at the front cam bearing you'll see that the 2nd hole feeds oil to the part of the distributor shaft that drops into the block to align the distributor gear with the cam drive gear.

Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird
Old 05-01-2006, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,
From one lurker to another....

Barry R.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How ya do'in Barry? Are you ready for your next shoot out?
Hope your new jobs working out.

Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird
Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Mike,

I'm doin' OK peddling - - not gettin' rich, but "Survivin'"...

So far I have Blue Thunder, Scat, Probe, Stefs, Manley, Diamond, and my own flat tappet cam line. Adding more as I get to them....lots of old friends are helping out.

I stay kinda quiet here since Keith and George invest a lot of ad money to the forum - - no need to poop in their playground... They're good guys...I'll get noisier when I have a little scratch to toss in...

The next generation contest motor is gonna be a tweaked destroked version of last year's effort. Now that we did OK, the Cinderella factor is done and we'll need to step things up a bit.

See Ya,
Barry R.
Survival Motorsports
Old 05-03-2006, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone427428
I recently tore my 360 apart to rebuild it and I was looking at the cam bearings and #3 was cocked at an angle. My has the same bearings it came with from the factor so I imagine the cam bearing was put in wrong from the factory. What I didnt understand was the first cam bearing has two holes in it and all the others have only one. Doesn't the oil come in the cam bearings then down to the main bearings? I'm still trying to figure out the miss alignment of the cam bearing. Anyone have any info on the oiling? any help will be much appreciated.
In regards to your ‘cocked’ bearing question, when you say cocked, I’m assuming you’re referring to the oil hole not being perpendicular or being directly at the bottom of the cam bearing bore. Because the #2 thru #5 cam bearing bores are fully grooved behind the bearings on the center oiling blocks, the hole in the cam bearing can be physically placed in any location with the oil still getting to the camshaft journal. It’s not unusual for the #2 thru #5 cam bearings to be installed at the 4 to 5 o’clock position (looking from the front with engine right side up) to aid in camshsaft journal oiling. If you’ve only got one bearing that’s got the oil hole positioned differently from the rest, then you could suspect a spun bearing but odds are good that it was just installed that way. Removal of the bearing and some scrutiny would quantify this.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Barry, I find it interesting that you offer a lifetime warranty on your "Survival" brand cam shafts.

The industry has been experiencing a lot of flat tappet cam failures lately. Due to modern engine oils missing key ingredients and no doubt in some cases improper break-in procedures, etc.

Do you have specific instructions for your customers to follow when installing your cam? Have there been warranty issues you've had to deal with for cams?

I see the warranty is not valid under 'racing' conditions, which is typical for all manufacturers.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-03-2006 at 12:18 PM..
Old 05-03-2006, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What I mean by cocked is that the top of the bearing sits out of the journal and the bottom of the bearing is more in the journal. Like the bearing was installed wrong and it was put in at an angle. I got all the cam bearings out last night and they all were prety bad. the coating on som of them started flaking off. Thaks for the information Ted. by the way I heard you have a set of highly modified 428 CJ heads, or had a set.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone427428
What I mean by cocked is that the top of the bearing sits out of the journal and the bottom of the bearing is more in the journal. Like the bearing was installed wrong and it was put in at an angle. I got all the cam bearings out last night and they all were prety bad. the coating on som of them started flaking off. Thanks for the information Ted.
Thanks for clarifying. It indeed sounds like a faulty installation. Typically when the bearings are 'cocked' like that, the camshaft turns through with a lot of resistance and subsequently wears the bearing out quicker. When you removed that particular bearing, you should have observed a very unusual wear pattern around its inside circumference.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unless it was cocked when the cam was pulled out? At any rate, those cam bearings should be a pretty darn tight fit and NOT easily moved during install or removal of the cam.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Barry, I find it interesting that you offer a lifetime warranty on your "Survival" brand cam shafts.

The industry has been experiencing a lot of flat tappet cam failures lately. Due to modern engine oils missing key ingredients and no doubt in some cases improper break-in procedures, etc.

Do you have specific instructions for your customers to follow when installing your cam? Have there been warranty issues you've had to deal with for cams?

I see the warranty is not valid under 'racing' conditions, which is typical for all manufacturers.
My conditions are what everybody else is coming around to. Rotella oil, US made lifters, cam lube, EOS, no inners, and 2000RPM+ for 20-30 minutes. What I'm doing is giving a guarantee for 10 bucks - it only covers the cam and lifters - - but if you toast one you don't need to make excuses, or try to talk somebody into taking care of the problem. Just send the dead piece in and I'll ship another out. Everybody in the cam business is having issues - - some guys are trying to deny them or hide from them. I can tell you that my blanks do NOT come from the same primary supplier for Comp or Crane...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, thats consistent with what the other cam makers are now coming out with for break in procedures. The BIG one seems to be removing those inner springs. What a pain in the butt that was, but it had to be done.